Whats Your Opinion? Same Buck?

VT Outfitter

So, this buck shows up on camera last month. I have some pictures of a younger buck on the same property, only from two years ago. For the young buck I guessed his age to be 2 years old at the time as his rear end and front end are basically the same size. All of the dates and times stamped on the pic's are accurate. What's your opinion? Is it the same buck? If so, how old do you think he was in the youth pic's?

post-5180-0-91706100-1411049821_thumb.jp

post-5180-0-72367800-1411049797_thumb.jp

post-5180-0-68512800-1411049693_thumb.jp

Black nose ring looks a lot darker between those two. I would guess no, but not sure how much coat color changes can occur over 2 years.

First deer looks like a 1.5. Second deer looks like a good 2.5 or average 3.5, but based on body, I am inclined to say 2.5. Of course, deer are different where I hunt vs. Vermont.

Edited by moog5050

Black nose ring looks a lot darker between those two. I would guess no, but not sure how much coat color changes can occur over 2 years.

First deer looks like a 1.5. Second deer looks like a good 2.5 or average 3.5, but based on body, I am inclined to say 2.5. Of course, deer are different where I hunt vs. Vermont.

My thoughts were if I was wrong when I guessed him to be 2-2 1/2 two years ago when he was really 1.5 years old, then that would make him 3.5 this season. Does that make any sense?

Too hard to tell with a 2 years difference. the 7 point looks like a 2.5 year old IMO and the first a 1.5. Definitley have to look at the body and not the horns. If I had to guess I'd say it's not due to the age of the deer and the dates on the camera.

I could agree with this. Sounds reasonable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure.  Its so hard to tell from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 unless they have some distinct body characteristics.  They make a big jump from that year and their racks can completely change, definitely in size and points.  Its easier to gauge if a buck may be the same from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 as you can see some similarity in racks from that jump, but not always guaranteed.

If a deer is a spike at 1 1/2, he could be a 10 point the next year.  You just never know.