When do you stop entering the woods before the season opener?

SteveNY

When do you stop entering the woods before the season opener?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. When do you stop entering the woods before the season opener?

• One month or more.
    • Three weeks.
    • Two weeks.
    • One week.
    • A few days.
    • It doesn't matter.
    • It depends on different factors, such as location, time of day, etc. (Please post your opinion!)
    • Other (Please post your opinion!)

So the new season is upon us! I have a couple of cameras out in the woods that I have been checking about once a week for the past few months. I started thinking last week, since the season opener is getting close, that maybe I should stay out of my hunting areas for a couple of weeks before the big day.

I was wondering the opinions of you all out there.

Good luck this season!

I try to take a stroll around my hunting grounds past my stands every day.

VERY rarely do I ever miss a hike completely.

I'll likely keep my patterns the same right up to, and throughout season unless I notice a major change I may have a negative effect on.

As long as my patterns stay the same, I don't believe the deer will change theirs much once we flip the calendars to October.

• Like 3

I dont live on my hunting property so I opt not to accelerate any new activity around my permanent stand areas prior to the season that could potentially tip deer off to something being amiss..The deer are used to little or no human action so I basically do all my scouting in winter when season is over to redefine the trails they use to and from bedding areas.All my stands were adjusted and shooting lanes cleared in late May.I havent been back to those areas since

If I find a new rub or scrape I'll try to hunt it with a climber trying to keep scent to a minimum.

I'm a big believer in trying to keep my hunting area as scent free and pristine as possible.

I am fortunate to live where I hunt so I cut wood, drive around in the mule or 4 wheeler or on horses so I don't think they care. When late Oct comes around, I will stay out of the woods as much as possible though, except for hunting, waiting for the bucks to begin looking for the hot does.  I think if you don't spend much time in your hunt woods except come hunt season then you are more likely to disrupt things but what else can you do. 

I have some areas where I've got my stands all set, or have trees and lanes all cleared for climber.  Those areas I';ll stay out of for sure until I hunt them.  But I never really stop scouting other areas.  If I come across an area that is smoking with sign in early october, I may set a stand and hunt it that evening.  I like to intentionally leave myself a few hang on stands to use as we get in to the season. To be honest, I'm a little behind this year as I currently don't have setups prepared for every conceivable wind direction for morning and afternoon.  More of my hunting will be on the fly this year.  Maybe thats a good thing. I don't know.

Great q. I have 3 spots. 1st spot I havent been in since shed hunting, I just have to sneak in to secure my stand and wont hunt it till close till nov. 2nd spot my yard im in all the time. 3rd spot is our new 45 acre piece that's been visited frequently on the weekend and after this weekend wont be touched unless hunted.

I try to take a stroll around my hunting grounds past my stands every day.

VERY rarely do I ever miss a hike completely.

I'll likely keep my patterns the same right up to, and throughout season unless I notice a major change I may have a negative effect on.

As long as my patterns stay the same, I don't believe the deer will change theirs much once we flip the calendars to October.

This makes the most sense to me wooly. Although it would be near impossible for me to do this, it does make sense...

I hunt working farms. Human activity is the norm and we work on things until they are ready. We all have lives outside of deer hunting, so it gets done when we can get it done. The deer are pretty accustomed to equipment, etc, so the one thing we try to do, is stay on the equimpent as much as we can, especially if we are not in a typical working area of the farm. We are just about done with things now, and we can finish up what we need to do on any of our stands, when we hunt them. Mostly we need to replace or add some haul lines, etc.

Now, if i was hunting mostly undisturbed areas, i would go about things differently.

It's a new ball game. Last year property was logged and I started bumping into deer way before any stand. This year cams tell a different story but I'd need a dozen to keep track. Maybe two more for next year but most don't like rechargeable battery's and I have enough jazz to do up there.

Stop going to the woods? What? I hunt several areas and I try to get out at least once a week during the off season. Most of my tree stand work is done so I do try and stay away from stands that are all set.

I did set up a new stand this past weekend and I'll be scouting the next few weeks as well. I try to be scent free, stay away from known bedding areas, but I'm in the woods weekly year round.