Looking for some

DirtyDan

Ok now I know I'm a little late on purchasing a gun for hunting season but I just got my hunting license and just found out even though I'm from the city I can buy a gun and leave it out of the 5 boroughs without the long process of the rifle/shotgun permit. Don't know if I want a 12 gauge or a 30-06 I already have a bow just want to know how many ppl on here hunt for deer with a shotgun. I'm leaning more towards the rifle for the longer range then my bow, but also thinking about turkey and maybe waterfowl hunting so just looking for an opinion. Also if u have any particular guns that I should look into just let me know. I know there to totally different guns and I would eventually need one if waterfowl hunting but mostly concerned with deer

Sorry for the stupid thread topic it won't let me change it lol

Edited by QueensOutdoorsman

it's never too late. You still have 1 1/2 months til deer season. If I had to choose, I'd look into a T/C Encore pro hunter. You can buy most any caliber barrel for them and they are sweet shooters. My brother has the .20ga rifled, 25-06, and .50cal muzzleloader barrels. They're all deadly with good scopes with BDC reticles. Another good thing is that you can leave the scope on the barrels so they're always ready to go.

If you're looking for just one all around gun, then its  a 12 Ga. combo all day. Mossberg 500  or a Remington 870 combos. Both are not too expensive and good solid guns that can be used on anything from rabbits to deer. Both are chambered in 2 3/4" and 3".

If you can deal with a single-shot, another option would be an H&R 1870.  can get it with smooth or rifled barrel and in 12 or 20 gauge.  Rifled for sabots and smooth for all other game loads.

My dad has one in 20 Magnum, rifled and scoped.  Dropped 2 deer at 140 yards or so that were standing side-by-side in one shot.  With the heavy barrel, reduced recoil.  Firepower is more like a 12 gauge.  That is his go to now after decades of using a 12 gauge semi-auto.

Want faster reloads, go with one of the combos mentioned above by other posters.  You have more areas to hunt, and more game options by going with the a shotgun. 

Been hunting off and on for over 20 years, 95% of the time I was in a shotgun only state or in a shotgun only area. Lots of deer are taken by shotgun.

post-5163-1411510497387_thumb.jpg

So I ended up getting a rifle setup, right here is the savage axis 116 trophy hunter 30-06. this is a solid gun with a smooth bolt also came with a 3x9 Nikon scope. Also has a accutrigger which pretty much is the reason I bought it lol . Super happy can't wait to shoot it and sight it in