Waterproofing Pac Boots

My friend who has been an elk and mulie outfitter in Idaho for over 30 years swears by his boot treatment. He soaks his boots in WD 40 overnight and then allows them to dry for a few days. He also treats his lightweight hiking shoes the same way.

I use the Kenetrek Boot Treatment, I believe it is mostly bees wax.

My friend who has been an elk and mulie outfitter in Idaho for over 30 years swears by his boot treatment. He soaks his boots in WD 40 overnight and then allows them to dry for a few days. He also treats his lightweight hiking shoes the same way.

I use the Kenetrek Boot Treatment, I believe it is mostly bees wax.

Dang, I'd still think that when they get wet you'd leave a scent trail of WD40 along the way.

bees wax. no scent. Even the commercial ones that uses bees wax have a smell to me and I know if this poo nose can smell it the deer must. warm with a hair dryer and rub in. reapply and heat up again. keep repeating until it won't take anymore.

Culver,

Do you mean something like what is posted in the below link?

http://www.amazon.com/100%25-ORGANIC-Hand-Poured-Beeswax/dp/B00455IWK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411588932&sr=8-1&keywords=beeswax

Then I just hit the bar with the hair dryer and rub onto the boot? Then hit the boot again with the dryer and rub in by hand?

Culver,

Do you mean something like what is posted in the below link?

http://www.amazon.com/100%25-ORGANIC-Hand-Poured-Beeswax/dp/B00455IWK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411588932&sr=8-1&keywords=beeswax

Then I just hit the bar with the hair dryer and rub onto the boot? Then hit the boot again with the dryer and rub in by hand?

yup. if you want to warm the wax up first I helps too.. heat the leather with the dryer. rub in by hand and reheat. keep adding until it won't take more. There are beeswax products out there like Snoseal but to me they smell. I don't like silicone products for the same reason.

As I said in another post Mine are 45 years old and look and feel like new, first clean after use,jet a hair dryer heat the leather up with the dryer then put a good coating of Snow Proof or Mink oil on them wipe the excess off before they get cold.And you are good for the hunting season.

I have always worn pac boots cause I thought they were warm. 8 yrs ago I went out and bought an expensive pair only to have my feet freeze every year. Found out today when ordering my new WARM 2400 gram boots that my pac boots are only 200 grams. Explains why my feet are numb in the stand when it's cold.

Sorry....kinda off subject but kinda on point as well.

Now back to the regularly scheduled program