Paper Plate Pugilists

jesse.james

That is not bickering. That is simply reacting to someone who stated they and their bow are ready to go out and fling arrows at deer when clearly they were not. Yes, the guy could have just ignored them, kept his mouth shut without trying to straighten them out. It really is nothing to him .... right? I applaud those that speak up in these kinds of instances and in no way consider that to be bickering. You don't feel some responsibility to speak up in that kind of situation?

I am grateful he helped the young kid out also but he clearly said I hope "I don't offend.....well if your one then i don't care",Thats his oppinion and he is welcome to it.Mine is we need to be better people and teach(like he did with the 15 YO) rather than make the other guy out to be the enemy.Thats bickering to me.I would have helped the kid out to but I also would have not posted up how some guys in this sport do minimal work and get minimal results for said work.This forum is full of guys that bust their butts to get close,get good shots and blood trail a animal as long as we can to recover the animal if murphy shows up and we do make a bad shot .Just because the kid or the first guy doesn't know much doesn't make them bad people or bad hunters,it makes them ill informed on how to be better hunters and better stewards of the land.

The funniest thing about this post is the SAME topic, was posted by the SAME guy, last year around the SAME time. :rolleyes:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/18373-paper-plate-archers-in-full-effect-today/?hl=%2Bpaper+%2Bplate+%2Barchers+%2Bfull+%2Beffect+%2Btoday

There's also a post in last years "Live from the stand 2013" from the SAME guy talking about his own complete miss.

Not exactly what you'd expect from one of our "top echelon archers" as he refers to them.....so maybe some guys need to take their own own advice before opening their mouths and being so critical of others abilities.

BTW- I still need to google what a pugilist is.

I might be one and I don't even know it! :cheese:

• Like 2

The funniest thing about this post is the SAME topic, was posted by the SAME guy, last year around the SAME time. :rolleyes:

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/18373-paper-plate-archers-in-full-effect-today/?hl=%2Bpaper+%2Bplate+%2Barchers+%2Bfull+%2Beffect+%2Btoday

There's also a post in last years "Live from the stand 2013" from the SAME guy talking about his own complete miss.

Not exactly what you'd expect from one of our "top echelon archers" as he refers to them.....so maybe some guys need to take their own own advice before opening their mouths and being so critical of others abilities.

that's great..........gotta love it. 

Edited by jjb4900

Lol .... I guess if TV can have re-runs, forums can too. By the way, a pugilist is a boxer. I have no idea what the connection is between a boxer and a paper plate and bowhunting, but then that's  another story .... ha-ha.

The funniest thing about this post is the SAME topic, was posted by the SAME guy, last year around the SAME time. :rolleyes:

There's also a post in last years "Live from the stand 2013" from the SAME guy talking about his own complete miss.

Not exactly what you'd expect from one of our "top echelon archers" as he refers to them.....so maybe some guys need to take their own own advice before opening their mouths and being so critical of others abilities.

Well done Wooly! Lmao

Funny this topic comes up.  Since I'm a full time student now I spend a lot of time around young immature kids (thrilling I know).  I've become "friends" with a few of them and last week we were talking about bow hunting.  This one kid asks if I was excited about bow season and I said yeah I've been shooting a few hundred times a week.  He instantly replied with yeah, I still need to get arrows, broadheads, and shoot my bow.  But I'll probably just go a couple days before and get them and go out.  I immediately told him that was an extremely poor decision.  I convinced him and another kid to get their bows and meet me at Bass Pro after school.  I then had them bring their bows over so we could shoot.  We started at 10 yards and it was pitiful, literally couldn't hit a 6" circle.  So over the course of 2 hours we made adjustments to their bows, form, and draw style.  By the end of the session they were putting 6/6 arrows inside 6" at 20 yards and 4/6 arrows inside 6" at 30.  I suggested to them to practice at least once a week starting in August.  They were pretty grateful and said nobody had ever helped them shoot before and that they just took the course, picked up bows, and started hunting.  I was happy to help and glad I did.  To think they were basically just going to go out without practicing.  

• Like 3

Funny this topic comes up.  Since I'm a full time student now I spend a lot of time around young immature kids (thrilling I know).  I've become "friends" with a few of them and last week we were talking about bow hunting.  This one kid asks if I was excited about bow season and I said yeah I've been shooting a few hundred times a week.  He instantly replied with yeah, I still need to get arrows, broadheads, and shoot my bow.  But I'll probably just go a couple days before and get them and go out.  I immediately told him that was an extremely poor decision.  I convinced him and another kid to get their bows and meet me at Bass Pro after school.  I then had them bring their bows over so we could shoot.  We started at 10 yards and it was pitiful, literally couldn't hit a 6" circle.  So over the course of 2 hours we made adjustments to their bows, form, and draw style.  By the end of the session they were putting 6/6 arrows inside 6" at 20 yards and 4/6 arrows inside 6" at 30.  I suggested to them to practice at least once a week starting in August.  They were pretty grateful and said nobody had ever helped them shoot before and that they just took the course, picked up bows, and started hunting.  I was happy to help and glad I did.  To think they were basically just going to go out without practicing.  

What may be happening these days is that a lot of kids are drifting into hunting without any parental or mentor guidance. If they are picking up all of this stuff on their own, there is nobody around to explain things like wounding game and the responsibilities of doing your best to avoid such things. They don't seem to be able to gauge when their shooting is adequate or what the consequences of inadequate proficiency really is. That is why, just like the original poster, it is good that some people take the time to at least explain a little something about the necessity of marksmanship.

What may be happening these days is that a lot of kids are drifting into hunting without any parental or mentor guidance. If they are picking up all of this stuff on their own, there is nobody around to explain things like wounding game and the responsibilities of doing your best to avoid such things. They don't seem to be able to gauge when their shooting is adequate or what the consequences of inadequate proficiency really is. That is why, just like the original poster, it is good that some people take the time to at least explain a little something about the necessity of marksmanship.

Hit in right on the nail Doc. No reset and do over button like a video game. Love t see guys take a new person under their wing and show them how it should be done. Having new entrants to hunting getting frustrated and dropping it and having a bad taste in their mouths doesn't help us.

I prefer the guy who practices a little to the guy who doesn't at all.

That said I don't feel like you need to shoot all year round. I start in early August and shoot several times a week from my stand. I think this part is key. Shooting from the ground in shorts is not realistic practice. I'm shooting the same now I always have and am dead on out of the gate.

In summary, you're absolutely right about needing to be proficient. But I also believe that proficient can be had in various ways and does not have to be number of arrows shot.

In summary, you're absolutely right about needing to be proficient. But I also believe that proficient can be had in various ways and does not have to be number of arrows shot.

At his point last year I was shooting one arrow each night from a random spot (distance). Doesn't matter how good the second or third or 30th is during a practice session.

This year I am way behind where I was in my schedule last year.

• Like 1

There are many that are not proficient enough that go hunt. The vast majority make a commendable effort though. It takes experience/practice to make many awkward shots that come up in hunting situations. Some that only practice on flat ground at a range don't understand. Then others just think they need to aim low when in a treestand not knowing why, how much, or what the heck to do so they can make the arrow go where the pin is at a given distance. Don't need to shoot 100s of arrows to hunt. Just have a range limitation that reflects your ability. However if you think a new modern bow shoots itself and practice very little, spend 20 minutes with me. I'll show you simple hunting shots that will make you wish you'd practiced or make you feel like wrapping your bow around a tree. I'm not the best archer out there but darn good in some minds. I can tell you I'm not too good for practice with a modern bow. Heck my oldest hunting bow is only 3 years old. Lol

great work. Way to be a stand up hunter

• Like 1

I am a fairly new archery hunter ( just don't get out much) never connected on a shot. I am trying to understand why shooting with a modern compound bow is hard. All the new sights releases and all the other add ons really make it a point and shoot. Hunting is a different story I'll give you that just drawing with a deer in range alone is a task. But the shooting part imo is pretty straight forward and I don't understand why anyone would need to shoot 100s if not 1000s of arrows down range. I don't shoot that much with anything and am incredibly confident with all my weapons of choice. I'm not trying to start a argument I am asking why would I ot anyone need to shoot thay much. Seems like 15-20 shots consistently in the bull at the desired range a few times before season would be more than enough...if I am missing something please inform me

You kind of ruined your argument with the fact that you never killed a deer. It's all easy on the ground in front of a target. When those knees are knocking or you've been sitting cold for 3 hours you'll appreciate the muscle memory.

You kind of ruined your argument with the fact that you never killed a deer. It's all easy on the ground in front of a target. When those knees are knocking or you've been sitting cold for 3 hours you'll appreciate the muscle memory.

Yep that's why I put that in there....I've only had a shot at 2 in my life one was a doe that was bedded down and I was 15...other was 2 years ago and was and real nice 6 point couldn't even get a shot off....like I said hunting is different but to be proficient with a modern compound does not take 1000s of arrows down range.

O and this is my second year with a modern compound....before thay I was using a PsE from the early 80s....now moved up to at least a 2000s

Edited by stoneam2006

I just don't have the time to shoot my bow the way I want to. I will shoot here and there during the summer then once a week leading into season. It's the best I can do, my misses happen because of nerves, can't practice that!

Ask a friend, spouse neighbor watch you. I had my father inlaw PPP over one day while I was shooting. It was the closest I could get to real world pressure haha. It did help my breathing techniques.

For those of you who think that a week is enough time to be ready for archery season I have a challenge for you. 

Pick a day and I will meet you at Suffolk Archers and take you through the course.  If you can keep up with my score you are ready. (within 20 pts)    For a larger group we can do Thrill of the Hunt but I consider that a simple course.

Otherwise how do you know if:

1)Your bow is still in tune, string wear, peep alignment, nothing rattling or loose

2)Your arrows fly the same with field tips and broadheads.

3)Your form is consistent, uphill, downhill vs flat ground shooting, estimating yardage, compensation

4)Trigger pull, drop of your aiming arm, picking up your aiming arm, elevation changes up and down

5)Target panic?

Or don't worry about it and just shoot 20 arrows before the season and your ready, lol.  Sure you are, just keep saying that.

Plain and simple not everyone can shoot 3+ days a week like me, family, work and other things pulling on life have that effect.  The dedicated archers get at least a couple hundred shots in before the season shooting at least a month before to fix any issues with form or the bow.  +1 w/gun you can't be a crack shot if you don't practice shooting and get off the dam bench rest unless you bring that with you hunting!

For those of you who think that a week is enough time to be ready for archery season I have a challenge for you.

Pick a day and I will meet you at Suffolk Archers and take you through the course. If you can keep up with my score you are ready. (within 20 pts) For a larger group we can do Thrill of the Hunt but I consider that a simple course.

Otherwise how do you know if:

1)Your bow is still in tune, string wear, peep alignment, nothing rattling or loose

2)Your arrows fly the same with field tips and broadheads.

3)Your form is consistent, uphill, downhill vs flat ground shooting, estimating yardage, compensation

4)Trigger pull, drop of your aiming arm, picking up your aiming arm, elevation changes up and down

5)Target panic?

Or don't worry about it and just shoot 20 arrows before the season and your ready, lol. Sure you are, just keep saying that.

Plain and simple not everyone can shoot 3+ days a week like me, family, work and other things pulling on life have that effect. The dedicated archers get at least a couple hundred shots in before the season shooting at least a month before to fix any issues with form or the bow. +1 w/gun you can't be a crack shot if you don't practice shooting and get off the dam bench rest unless you bring that with you hunting!

Wish I was closer I'd be happy to shoot with you....I'm sure I'm not as good. ..I'm may not even stay within 20....I'm shoot idk maybe 50 rounds thru out the month of Sept to get ready I shoot from all elevations and positions....target panic is unbeatable till you harvest one then it gets better as my buck fever with a gun did....but I will tell you....if I am able to get a shot at a deer I am as confident as I'm going to get....if you arnt shaking and blood pumping when a deer walks in why hunt anymore as the thrill has left....for me it could be the biggest or smallest deer and i get excited....shoot if a squirrel jumps outta tree behind me it gets me going....shooting isn't a issue and shouldn't be for most guys.....the thrill and getting busted is.............o and I've shot squirrels and foxes with my bow from a stand....