Venison heart

Dom

I do mine two ways. both are cut up the same way.

open it up and remove all the small white filaments. not sure exactly what they are (tendon or muscle) then slice it just like you would slice a green bell pepper. I slice mine about 1/4-3/8" thick.

If I pickle I normally clean them but don't slice them and place in the freezer. I wait until I get a half dozen or so and then pickle them. In  a quart canning jar I place the boiled heart slices(do not over cook, just a whisker pink in the center). I fill 2/3 with white vinegar, 3/4 cup of Balsamic vinegar. 12peppercorns, 8-10 whole cloves of garlic. healthy does of ground black pepper. tablespoon of onion powder and two bay leaves. op off with cold water and place in the fridge. shake up a couple times a week to mix the spices that settle. leave at least a month. then I eat it plain or makes a great sandwich on fresh Italian bread with butter and spicy mustard.

If I cook one to just eat, it is cleaned and cut the same way as above and fried in butter and garlic. salt and pepper and mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I asked my Mom and my Aunt, both old-school Italian cooks with well over 100 years of experience between them. Their response was basically, "You don't try to make pate' out of a muscle...cooking it until it reaches the right consistency will ruin it and you won't end up with pate'..."

I got an earful from both!!!

A pate'/spread is made with liver because it can be lightly boiled and then mashed into a paste. Add S&P to taste and whatever other spices you like and get out the crackers.

I suppose you could grind the heart with a bologna or hotdog setup but it's so tasty in the other ways mentioned above, or even just sliced on a stick over a campfire.

I love FRESH fried heart - light dust of flour and fried in butter. So pissed off at myself- I left the heart neatly placed next to the deer I harvested this past Sunday evening. It was getting late and I was rushing a bit and left the heart! Damnit! Guess I need to get another one!

Cut them into strips.  Sprinkle some black pepper.  Cover them lightly with flour.  Pan fry over medium heat for just a few minutes.  I never measure the time.  I test them by feeling how firm they are to know when they're done.

post-789-0-37999100-1413340408_thumb.jpg

post-789-0-26280000-1413340433_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I have never tried eating the heart . If someone prepared it and I didn't know what it was , it would probably be okay .

Never? My first deer kill, the dude teaching me said it was a right of passage. No, he didn't make me drink the blood, or eat the heart raw, but my sister fried it up with as said, black pepper, onions, and fresh garlic. I still smell it to this day, almost 30 years ago.

Man, my mouth is watering now..............

• Like 1