possible hunting partner wanted?

hello Im a 60 year old that has had  some bad injuries over the years that prevent me from doing many of the maintainance and up grade projects on my sullivan county  cabin /hunting camp, It seems all my old hunting partners  have gone to the happy hunting ground and my other buddies dont hunt  but help me when they can so I feel funny asking them I live  in sufflok county.Im thinking of finding a person that hunts by themself  has nowhere really to hunt and has the time during the summer months to help work on the place in return for some kind of a mutual arangement (open to ideas) I have not given it a load of thought at this point so im open to  ideas The property 15 acres has been a  GREAT  producer of  very respectable bucks  every year since 1999 although this year like the last we are are over run with black bears that I have never bothered with just this weekend I was there with the wife and they were raising hell out side.I dont shoot does  period and never have, that is a standing rule  so if you have year  round tme and are looking for a place to hang you  camo hat  get back to me  ps  I really cant see shooting the bears last nite was a mother and three cubs for what it proves nothing  well thats just me   thanks for looking

...................Im thinking of finding a person that hunts by themself  has nowhere really to hunt and has the time during the summer months to help work on the place in return for some kind of a mutual arangement (open to ideas) I have not given it a load of thought at this point so im open to  ideas ................

Very generous offer, I applaud you! Hope you find the right person.

I'm old school, meaning deals are made on a person's word or through a handshake. Human nature being what it is in today's world, you really need some concrete expectations of what this "sweat equity" barter will be. Need to define the specific work hours (# & when), tasks involved and the consequences of the individual's not fulfilling the agreed "work for hunt" obligation. If it's for a bucks only, no does or bears hunting privilege, then you need to make this very clear upfront! Sound too cold hearted? If you go into this relationship in a lackadaisical manner, you'll both come out of it disappointed & spiteful.

Trust me, it's hard to look into a young hunter's eyes and tell them the relationship isn't working out when it's really your fault for never setting any concrete ground rules to begin with. Been there, done that! So before you turn over the keys to your mini-hunting kingdom to a total stranger, give a lot of thought to your expectations & options available.

Putting my cynicism aside, pretty sure there are numerous young hunters in your area that would be more than willing to fulfill your expectations in exchange for the hunting privilege you're offering!

I wish you luck with this...having a hunting camp we know what your talking about...that said nyslowhand has good advise...also on a legal note please contact a lawyer and ask their opinon on whether "sweat equity " could be considered PAYMENT for hunting rights...if so....you now have lost immunity from injury law suits.

I wish you luck with this...having a hunting camp we know what your talking about...that said nyslowhand has good advise...also on a legal note please contact a lawyer and ask their opinon on whether "sweat equity " could be considered PAYMENT for hunting rights...if so....you now have lost immunity from injury law suits.

Grow hit it on the head. Required "sweat equity" can open a whole host of issues. Payment does not have to be money and with "consideration" you lose this protection.

New York Consolidated Laws

GENERAL OBLIGATIONS LAW

ARTICLE 9: Obligations of Care

TITLE 1: Conditions on Real Property

§ 9-103. No duty to keep premises safe for certain uses; responsibility for acts of such users 

1. Except as provided in subdivision two,

a. an owner, lessee or occupant of premises, whether or not posted as provided in section 11-2111 of the environmental conservation law, owes no duty to keep the premises safe for entry or use by others for hunting, fishing, organized gleaning as defined in section seventy- one-y of the agriculture and markets law, canoeing, boating, trapping, hiking, cross-country skiing, tobogganing, sledding, speleological activities, horseback riding, bicycle riding, hand gliding, motorized vehicle operation for recreational purposes, snowmobile operation, cutting or gathering of wood for non-commercial purposes or training of dogs, or to give warning of any hazardous condition or use of or structure or activity on such premises to persons entering for such purposes;

b. an owner, lessee or occupant of premises who gives permission to another to pursue any such activities upon such premises does not thereby

(1) extend any assurance that the premises are safe for such purpose, or

(2) constitute the person to whom permission is granted an invitee to whom a duty of care is owed, or

(3) assume responsibility for or incur liability for any injury to person or property caused by any act of persons to whom the permission is granted.

c. an owner, lessee or occupant of a farm, as defined in section six hundred seventy-one of the labor law, whether or not posted as provided in section 11-2111 of the environmental conservation law, owes no duty to keep such farm safe for entry or use by a person who enters or remains in or upon such farm without consent or privilege, or to give warning of any hazardous condition or use of or structure or activity on such farm to persons so entering or remaining. This shall not be interpreted, or construed, as a limit on liability for acts of gross negligence in addition to those other acts referred to in subdivision two of this section.

2. This section does not limit the liability which would otherwise exist

a. for willful or malicious failure to guard, or to warn against, a dangerous condition, use, structure or activity; or

b. for injury suffered in any case where permission to pursue any of the activities enumerated in this section was granted for a consideration other than the consideration, if any, paid to said landowner by the state or federal government, or permission to train dogs was granted for a consideration other than that provided for in section 11- 0925 of the environmental conservation law; or

c. for injury caused, by acts of persons to whom permission to pursue any of the activities enumerated in this section was granted, to other persons as to whom the person granting permission, or the owner, lessee or occupant of the premises, owed a duty to keep the premises safe or to warn of danger.

3. Nothing in this section creates a duty of care or ground of liability for injury to person or property.

• Like 1

Good info Culver! Guess I never would have thought of that!

Only reason I know it is because of our lease. We are required to carry insurance as part of the lease to cover  us and the owner because the General Obligation law is out the window.

We probably get the benefit of the plan included with all the their leased properties but out coverage cost about $75 a year, I think. He could get a policy himself and probably cover any liability he would have for a decent amount. He would be covered and have the help he needs on the property, and can sleep easy

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Only reason I know it is because of our lease. We are required to carry insurance as part of the lease to cover  us and the owner because the General Obligation law is out the window.

We probably get the benefit of the plan included with all the their leased properties but out coverage cost about $75 a year, I think. He could get a policy himself and probably cover any liability he would have for a decent amount. He would be covered and have the help he needs on the property, and can sleep easy

But you put together the idea of labor in return for permission as equating to compensation which would remove the relationship from GOL coverage. You are lawyer, license or not - moral code notwithstanding. lol

• Like 1

thank you all for your replies, and ideas  and bubba im with you I will probably  will forget this dumb idea,It would not pay to hire my attorney to draw up papers I dont know what to think at this point all I can say Is I hope the deer on my land  dont read this or  they will sue me unless I can prove they were breaking into my cabin with evil intent.I know these fellow members who took the time to reply to me are only trying to keep me from being bushwhacked and yes I never thought about this point BUT when I do think about it  I remember why I have loved the woods since I was a little kid  now I will rethink the whole idea

The idea is not necessarily a bad idea, just need to keep yourself protected from lawsuits.

Another thing to consider is how long do you wish to keep the property or if you want it to stay in the family.

If you want to eventually sell it, perhaps have a buy-in.  Have a new partner(s) buy-in at xxx dollars per year/month until year x to be a co-owner and have a planned buy-out?

Wish I were a younger man again, I would have jumped all over this. I am a handy man sort of guy and never wanted to own because I felt I needed to "wander". But this I could have done for for a couple summers and made some friends to boot. Coming from the city I never had anyone to hunt with.

I am married now with young ones, to late for me.