2014 Hunting NY Crossbow Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2014 crossbow season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• 1 month later...

I took a nice plump doe this morning at 26 steps from the uprooted tree I was sitting against.
I shot low thinking she may duck at the shot, but she never had time to react and I plugged her straight through the heart.
As soon as I pulled the trigger, her side exploded in a cloud of red! She dropped in only 50yds after a the bolt passed completely through her. Sure wish we had some of yesterdays snow left for dragging today, but at least I wasn't freezing my nuts off,lol

large.jpg

• Like 33

Aquired a new piece of land this year in 7S and did some scouting..Found a nice grove of Oak trees bearing acorns adjacent to thick cover in a transition from hardwoods to pines.I hunted it a few times without much action until Monday morning.The wind blew hard all weekend then finally monday it dawned calm and clear.Setup my climber with the wind in my face and set in..I had things to do back at the cabin and only intended to hunt till 9am. Well 9 am comes and I stand up and take the arrow off the Excalibur and put it in the quiver,,As i'm pulling up the rope I hear movement to my right and I see the back of a deer through the pines only about 15 yds away! I gently take the arrow back out of the quiver put it on the crossbow and flick off the safety. i got deer walking right to me along the logging road only 10 yds away.First in a range was a doe and a yearling..another doe..a small button buck...then a nice big doe bringing up the rear. I put the crosshairs on her and let it fly.I saw the lumenok make a perfect shot and she ran 20 yds and fell over..she got back up and stumbled and fell for good. Venison for the freezer!.now its time for some horns..

Excalibur Matrix 310 , Illum.Diablo arrow and Excalibur Boltcutter 150 grn fixed broadhead.

post-3304-0-19999000-1415197441_thumb.jp

post-3304-0-44147400-1415198341_thumb.jp

• Like 15

Took this buck with my Carbon Express Crossbow Monday morning 3 November.  It is my first cross bow deer.  I initially resisted the move to a cross bow but felt I was an interesting piece of weaponry and liked what I heard about its reputation for clean kills.   I hunted two very enjoyable days in the ADK's last week but Monday was my first day hunting in the Southern zone this year near our present home.

Got my butt into the woods early in morning in spite of 15- 20 degree F chill factors, NW wind 12 -15.  Climbed into my tree stand at 0630.  Didn't see a thing, 1000 hours came and went with no sign of deer and I started thinking about coming out of the tree stand and heading down to the house to dig some potatoes for supper.  But told myself  " the deer could be moving this morning because it is cold, you lazy comfort loving son of gun, you are  going to stay in this tree at least another hour!"

At about 1030 I saw a medium sized doe moving coming toward the stand.  She looks back over her shoulder.  Suddenly a buck emerges!  He is on her trail!  He proceeds closer to the stand but is moving quickly.  At 20 yards I made a "verbal buck grunt".  He stops.  I fire an arrow into his rib cage and hear a "thwack".  The buck runs to the west and I see him slow down as he goes out of view. 

I wait 10 minutes and get out of my tree stand.  I locate the arrow that I fired and determine it has passed completely through the animal.  I believe the arrow took out both lungs.   I walk to where I saw him last and find him there only about 35-40 yards from the shot. 

I said a prayer of thanks for the animal and the way it all went down so quickly for the deer.

post-725-0-65503100-1415205946_thumb.jpg

post-725-0-58276100-1415206292_thumb.jpg

Edited by adkbuck
  • Like 18

• 4 weeks later...

I have been taking a little slack on this site for taking this shot, which at 60 yards, was 20 yards further than I had practiced with my Barnett Recruit ($250, 300 fps, 135 lb draw, 125 gr. 3-blade o-ring type mech. broadhead).  The 1-1/2 year 6-point ran 40 yards and dropped dead after the shot.  Range is not everything, and all the other variables that go into whether or not a shot is successful were just about perfect.  It was Veteran's day morning, peak rut time.  There was no wind, he was broadside and posing like a tom turkey, trying to impress a pair of 1-1/2 year old does.  I had a very good rest, and the shot was clear, across an open hay field.   I did make a 10 yard mistake in my estimate, as I guessed him to be at 50 yards.  I aimed just below the spine, behind the shoulder, using the middle dot on the stock sight.  The arrow hit low, penetrated thru the heart,post-5805-0-32628700-1418344976_thumb.jppost-5805-0-72805300-1418345048_thumb.jp and about 8 inches total.   Like Clint Eastwood says: "you got to know your limitations",  and I think I know mine, with this outfit, after my first shot at a deer.   The good Lord put the arrow in the right spot.  Anywhere else would probably not have had such happy ending.  I will limit future shots with this outfit to about 40 yards.        

• Like 4

post-5805-0-39765300-1418430564_thumb.jpCrossbows were legal implements during this season, but we used something else.   This Adirondack buck (town of Fine) was the heaviest and probably the oldest buck I have ever taken.  The 8-point rack was decent, but not huge.  The teeth were so worn, that most of the acorns stuffing his belly were barely chewed.  I will ask the taxidermist for the exact age when I talk to him next.   I probably would not have gotten him mounted were he not the first buck and my in-laws new camp, and all the "special" help I had in the harvest and recovery.   For the second consecutive time this season, the good Lord guided the shot to exactly the right place (diagonally thru the rib cage from about 300 yards, just below the backstraps to not ruin any of the "good stuff").  The 150 grain Federal 30/06 bullet out of the Ruger M77 put him down in his tracks.   post-5805-0-39765300-1418430564_thumb.jp 

• Like 4