Deerthug's 2014 Hunting Journal

Deerthug

So this morning I'm driving to Court down Rte 24 in Calverton and what do I see but seven different cars parked at various designated hunting parking spots.

Sure made me jealous...two more days and hopefully come Saturday morning I'll be sitting in my blind.

• 2 weeks later...

So let's see after 2.5 hours in my blind this afternoon I saw couple of Chipmunks running through my blind, a field mouse and this little guy. post-1257-14130765159058_thumb.jpg

Also heard a flock of turkeys roost above me and saw a few deer about 500 yds away. All in all it was great just sitting there.

Looking forward to listening to the woods wake up tomorrow morning whether I connect or not...

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 1

Well pretty much got Skunked today other than a single doe that winded me. Pulled my card and saw two big 8 pts fighting on camera. Will post pics later tonight.

Getting ready to head home to LI. Planning on coming up on 10/25 with my son for turkey/deer. We shall see.....

• 2 weeks later...

Man do I hate it when life gets in the way of hunting time! \~#%^%#% really sucks.

Plans to go up this morning fell through as i found out last night we were celebrating my FIL's 80th birthday tonight instead of tomorrow evening as originally planned. So instead I spent the day putting my patio furniture away, cleaning out my shed and getting my wood stove ready for the season and just finished eating like a king at La Parma.

But I'm heading up early tomorrow by myself and meeting my brother in law up there who is also driving separately to drop off his son's jeep in storage. I will be hunting from 9 until 3 or so straight through, grab dinner and head back to LI hopefully with a deer in my trunk.

My son wll have to wait until the weekend of 11/8 to go up with me as he is helping a boy scout on his eagle project tomorrow and next week is our annual Turkey campout at Schiff Reservation in Wading River.

These plans of course may change if life gets in the way again.......

• 3 weeks later...

Getting ready to head up tomorrow morning. Hoping to get an afternoon bow hunt tomorrow from my blind and then again early Saturday morning in my treestand. Hoping to first get some meat in the freezer and then go after the big 8 that's been roaming the property. Good luck to all, use those harnesses and be safe! 

My target this year 

post-1257-0-31977700-1410698556_zpsc5193

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 1

Well opening morning came and went. Sat in my stand at 5:45am with legal light at 6:46am figured I'd give it an hour to let things settle down. Really weird morning, cold 23 degs, no wind, no deer, tons of squirrels that sounded like elephants and tons of early shots and some idiot with multiple shots as if he was sighting in - really on opening day??

Came in to warm up and get some grub. Going back out about 1pm for the rest of the day.

And opening day came to a close with only 1 deer sighted over 500 yds away. It was eerily quiet this afternoon no wind, no deer but tons of squirrels. Those big guys are big for a reason. They only come out at night! At least I roosted 20+ turkeys above my stand. Going out tomorrow morning. Hopefully I will be able to at least fill my freezer.

Deerthug,

I'm just up the road from you and my season has been very quiet.  Saw 1 small buck first thing opening day, haven't seen another yet.  Been very cold, very few shots in the vicinity and hardly any hunters.  How did you do in GermantownPoppy

Hey Poppy. First time opening weekend we saw nothing close and no one shot anything. Very quiet. Heading up again today for an afternoon hunt and all day sit tomorrow. Hopefully someone in my group will connect. We shall see....

Back in the stand for an afternoon hunt. New view. Old swingset tree house converted to a stand. wall to wall carpet and canopy. Now if only something walks by. ... post-1257-14165999703166_thumb.jpgpost-1257-14165999703166_thumb.jpgpost-1257-14165999703166_thumb.jpg

post-1257-14165999977064_thumb.jpg

post-1257-14166000271733_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deerthug
  • Like 3

Hey Thug,

Been real cold all week, everyday the wind is blowing and other then a few flattops, I have not seen anything to get excited about.  I did help a first year hunter yesterday get her first deer.  I think I've forgotten that thrill, at least to her extent.  It was very rewarding and honestly I think it was more enjoyable then if I had pulled the trigger. Good luck this weekend and shoot straight.

Poppy