Hind quarter butchering

So I am processing a deer I took this past Sunday and just did one hind quarter tonight. Any advice for the shank potion of the hind quarter. So much sinew and connective crap. I watched some videos that say they jus use it as is for stew but seems too loaded with rubbery bits and not to appealing. How do you all process the shanks?

Thanks everyone- I like the idea oosso buco I am just still a bit leery about all that connective sinew. DoeS anyone try to process any of that crap out- its a real PITA

need to tenderize it if you are keeping it. the grinding, canning and slow cooking are the best options. It can take as long to trim all that out as cutting up the rest of the whole deer....lol

Thanks everyone- I like the idea oosso buco I am just still a bit leery about all that connective sinew. DoeS anyone try to process any of that crap out- its a real PITA

I used to run a deer processing business. Unless requested otherwise, I would grind the shanks for customers. Over 200 deer/year, never had my grinder clog, mid-size commercial equipment. I just sharpened the blades & plates after the season was over.

But if you are going to braise the shanks, the majority of the cartilage will melt by the time the meat is tender enough to eat.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...