What Kind Of Stand Do You Prefer?

DirtTime

I just bought my first one beginning of this archery season...i will tell you they are loud to set up but they make that up in being able to set up almost exactly where you wanna be Givin there's a tree that can be climbed....i love mine and don't know how I've ever managed without one lol....of course this season was my first bow kill so I guess you could say I didn't manage without it....

I am recently in the same boat... always used hang on tree stands and ladder stands, Few weeks ago I purchased a Lone Wolf climber and wondered to my self why I never got one before. Nice and light, easy to set up on the tree. I didn't find it being really loud at all but that could be the difference in different manufactures. It gives me versatility! I absolutely love it. Like with most Lone wolf products, you will pay for it. I was lucky enough to get mine from a boss who was injured and took half of what he paid for it... lucky me.

• Like 2

I like climbers. Thats what I use 90% of the time for bow. I have one that I leave locked to my favorite tree, and another that I move around. Once in a great while I use a lock on.

I mix in ladder stands and occasionally use ground blinds during gun season.

I had been hunting from a home made ground blind made from logs, but I had to stick my head up to really get a clear view of anything and felt really exposed.   I've been hunting ladder stands, but just put up my first hang on.

To be honest, i'm still not 100% comfortable with it.  I replaced the cables with chain, and added 2 ratchet straps to it.  I'm 6'3" 220 lbs and it seems pretty damn sturdy with the extra support.

IMO, hang on stands are the best.  I'm waiting for Sunday morning to hunt my new spot.  Supposed to be in the 30's so hopefully that will put the deer on their feet a bit  

The Cajun elevator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ4kYIlCRqE

Only stand I will use now because it drives Phade crazy with all the noise I make setting it up, especially on morning hunts.  Plus, it requires no physical exertion whatsoever so I can keep piling the pounds on.

BTW - love how it is camo so the deer never see the stand.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

I used to use my climber all the time, and if i had to hunt state land, Id have kept it. The biggest disadvantage, is you have to have the right tree in the right spot, and alot of the time, where I want to be doesnt have the right tree for one. We use a variety of hang ons and ladder stands. I have gotten to where I like hang ons the best. With a light weight one and a good set of climbing sticks, they are far more versatile, quick and quiet than a climber. Takes practice though, and Im not quite there with them, so for now I just have a bunch of stands set in spots.

The Cajun elevator - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ4kYIlCRqE

Only stand I will use now because it drives Phade crazy with all the noise I make setting it up, especially on morning hunts.  Plus, it requires no physical exertion whatsoever so I can keep piling the pounds on.

BTW - love how it is camo so the deer never see the stand.

I love that thing. I might buy one just because of the music in the video.

Does it come with a carpeted floor? I know thats an important feature for you.

I can really see the advantage of a climber. Not having the type of woods until this year, a climber was not in the cards. I can see where I a climber keeps you mobile. Too me, I think once you know a good spot after using a climber to find it, I would choose to put up a permanent each season whether a hang on or a ladder. I have many ladders but my favorites are the 2 Millenniums. A seat you can sit in all day but a seat that folds up and allows a really nice platform. The best of both worlds. If you are sitting and see deer coming from afar you have time to stand. Even sitting you can shoot real well from them.  

Many good points made on why each is good.

Sat on the ground this am. Wasn't much fun. Saw nothing. Bailing on the afternoon hunt, to hot, damp, and sticky. Never did like hunting in the rain much.

Gonna have to butter up the g/f tonight and pick up a climber.

Permanent stands suck. Here's the problem:

At some point they get old and unsafe. The platform with wood makes lots a noise when cold and gets slippery mildew on it after a while when the weather is right. Snow on it turns to ice. As the tree grows around it nails and boards are hard to impossible to remove. How do you know it's the perfect spot? Took me several years to fine tune this one permanent stand location. Then as you hunt it deer figure it out. After a while some will walk in with eye balls on you the whole way or avoid it all together. What if a buck and other deer start using a parallel trail out of range. A factory built hangon is safer, functions better, more comfortable, and you can move it when deer patterns change.