If It's Brown, It's Down..I Hate this term!

DirtTime

Heard this term since I was about 13. Hated it then hate it now!

I didn't talk to my g/f for two days after I bought my bow and she said that to me!

Now, I mean this as no offence to anyone, and this is just me spouting off a personal opinion!

Even though I have tags to take an anterless deer with a bow, doesn't mean I am going to shoot a deer the size of my dog.

I am no "Trophy Hunter"! I take what I will eat. Be it a doe, and then my buck. If the doe looks to be at leat 100# ( # = pounds, not a hash tag..FFS! ), I will shoot. It might just be me, but I do not want to take a deer I know damn well was this years fawn.

Maybe I am just ranting, or venting. Last year when I was going to pick up my g/f from work, a dude was carrying a small dear out over his shoulder. In the Pine Bush area. If you can carry the deer out like that, to me, it was too young to have been taken!

I am very sorry for this rant, but I just feel very strongly about some things! This is just my personal opinion, and I hope people take it as that.

• Like 1

I never cared for the term either . It just sounds soooo wrong . But then , it's a personal thing . I consider the doe tags valuable and don't want to use them on small deer . I would rather field dress and process one large doe than to take 2 small ones .

As far as many farmers feel , shoot them all .

• Like 1

Well I can say I prefer an adult on two fronts...it takes the same effort to gut and skin and process..though less time ...but adults give you more meat for the effort.

Accidents do happen though...I cried like . a baby after my first accidental fawn...and on a few mercy kills.Second,it could end up being a buck fawn. That said...great tasting meat for sure!

I know better than to look down on such situations.for Karma some times is a female canine...

I haven't taken enough to know the difference but if what every body says is true then the decision really boils down to more meat or better tasting tender meat. I'll let nature decide which one she wants to give me and I'll be thankful of whatever she decides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 5

The term is used either as a point of derision, or simply a statement of fact that the time of the season has arrived where some venison (any venison) has to be taken. I have been there, and I make no apologies for basically saying that it is time to take a deer, any deer. I hold out for bigger deer until it is obvious that I am not going to have my annual fix of venison. At that point the goals change.

• Like 3

I prefer to take adult deer because they yield a lot more meat than fawns.

As far as the term BID goes, it doesn't bother me in the least.

I'd rather hear that than listen to the trophy hunters talk about thier " hit list"....

Yes, the work involved for the yield of maybe 15 lbs meat doesn't justify killing smaller deer in my mind.

The term "brown it's down" never bothered me, it was a pre-hunting show era term that guys who put on drives would say, and usually meant guys who were desperate to fill tags.

I'm more puzzled when I read guys on the internet talking about their "target buck", "hit list", "making the deer take a dirt nap", "BBD Baby!!!" and "smoked a big doe". Really??? Sounds like they should spend less time watching Lee & tiffany or Michael Waddell, and spend more time in the woods. Nobody I know in the real world says things like that.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 2

i hope your not serious about not talking to your girlfriend for two days because she said that to you....

I say that fraise...but I pass on small deer so it doesn't just mean that they're going to go out and shoot whatever they see... its just a fraise to get pumped up for season and the hunt.

• Like 5

I have to agree with Bowaholic, its just a term to get hunters into the mood but I do not like it.  Sounds like you are just out to kill vs hunt but it is the reality of hunting.  Especially the last day or if you are just trying to cull the population and not have snipers do it or if you are just looking to eat! 

I am drooling at any deer right now, I want venison and harvest time is here.

Edited by NFA-ADK

The term "harvest" that a lot of hunters use bothers me more.It's like they are afraid to say they killed a deer.

In some ways, I feel when I use the term "harvest" I am lowering the deer to that of a plant life form and that's just disrespectful of the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we could go back in a time machine to  the time before the Civil War and talked to Native Americans of frontiersmen, they would be laughing their butts off at us. They were the ultimate "brown and down" people.

The holier than thou tone and attitude we have brought to this activity is crazy. Almost like we are trying to evaluate what we are doing so we don't feel badly about it.

My family doesn't eat a lot of venison,actually its really just me except for a roast or 2 a year with my girls.So the deer I want for the freezer will be a small one.probably a decent size fawn.If I can get 20-25lbs of meat I am a happy camper.I really don't give a rats butt what people think of me on this subject either,its legal,its my money that pays for my hunting,its my tag and its my life.I feel this is no different than someone saying that someone shouldn't shoot a spike,4 point or anything not as wide as the ears.

• Like 3

I never shot a fawn and never will unless it is injured,I take my deer to a butcher to have cut up into the pieces I would like, He is going to charge the same price if it is 75 pounds or 120 pounds.

The way I heard If It Is Brown It is down was from many years ago by people that would shoot any size deer just to say the shot a deer that year.

U

My family doesn't eat a lot of venison,actually its really just me except for a roast or 2 a year with my girls.So the deer I want for the freezer will be a small one.probably a decent size fawn.If I can get 20-25lbs of meat I am a happy camper.I really don't give a rats butt what people think of me on this subject either,its legal,its my money that pays for my hunting,its my tag and its my life.I feel this is no different than someone saying that someone shouldn't shoot a spike,4 point or anything not as wide as the ears.

I agree, who the hell cares what others shoot as long as its legal..what bothers me is hunters that poke fun or make analogies comparing fawns to the size of dogs..im a meat eater first and foremost and make no excuses for what i kill . albeit a fawn, doe, young buck, old buck etc..and i have shot them all and they are all tasty..lets be real folks when we are buried 6 feet under do you really think anyones gonna remember or give a $hit what you have shot..have fun and enjoy this great sport while you are in this beautiful planet and enjoy nature..hunt legally and take what you want and make no excuses to anyone..

• Like 2

That phrase has been around a lot longer then anyone on this site. My grandfather lived by this phrase literally. Growing up was hard for my grandfather and that was how they fed there family they didn't have a lot of money to go spend on groceries so they bought the essentials. Im lucky to be able to pass on smaller deer so I can shoot a bigger one. but if you had to live on that and it meant having supper that night guaranteed you would shoot no matter what size the deer was. ( don't get confused about my name, its an inside joke with some of my friends. I am definitely not a trophy hunter.)  

• Like 1