Uggh........

Lawdwaz

I hope you guys did better on ducks today than I did...............................rained the entire 3 hours I was on the marsh.  Shooting up in Hemlock swamp and somewhere on Canadice I'd guess but zip for me and Wonder Dog.

THEN we get back to my buddies place and low and behold a dozen woodies on the pond.  They get a pass though.........

Oh look at that, the sun is out now.  Uggh........:)

I took a vacation day on Friday and went out to a lake close to my house. Never touched the trigger.

That being said, I went looking for turkeys this morning and got wet. I did see three

birds but could not get them to come into range.

Hunting the lake tomorrow out of my blind with a buddy of mine. It is supposed to be

cooler with a NW wind which is great for hunting my blind

It poured the entire morning Saturday but I had a great hunt, two woodie drakes and a hen mallard but we had a lot more groups come in. I passed on a lot of shots thinking theyd come around again and commit a little better. Im new at this! Went back yesterday and got three mallards and two woodies. Now back to deer hunting

• Like 1

Five years ago I talked two of my neighbors into putting in duck ponds with the help of the Feds.  We got the feds to pay for us putting in a total of 40 acres of ponds/wetlands.   (The best part is I am the only landowner who hunts ducks. I told the guys that the deer are beding in the dry areas and..that's why they went for the ponds.) The first few years was nothing special but this year the cover is back and the ducks (woodies) are in there.  I had a terrific early season with the ducks coming and going into that marsh every morning and evening.  Drainage ditches and sloughs within 500 yards of that area keeps the woodies in the area like a magnet and offered hours of jump shooting chances.  Saturday's (Oct 11) evening flight was something to remember. Ducks in groups of 3- 8 just kept coming in.  I dropped a double, got out ot the blind to direct the dog.....  and the ducks ignored both of us and continued to pile into the ponds and get into the vegatation along their banks...refusing to fly again.  One woodie brazenly landed between the dog and me. Somehow knowing I would not shoot it started "keeing" at the dog while she had the down duck in her mouth. The dog placed the dead duck on a hummock and spent the next 5 minutes franticaly swimming after the duck who was just messin' with it.  In the meantime woodies continued to pile into the marsh completely ignoring the floor show of the dog chasing the woodie and me standing there yelling.  Finally the duck ducked into the cover and the dog started listening to my calls for her return.  While all this was going on my buddy who was laughing too hard to shoot counted over 150 woodies landing into this marsh and its various small ponds.    Sundays mornings cold front sent the ducks fleeing south as I only saw 3 rise from the area the rest of Sunday.  The early season is over and the woodies will be gone when it reopens but what a great 9 days.  

I would urge anybody with some low wet areas on their property to call the Soil and Water folks and investigate the possibility of turning that area into their own world class hunting area. This is one of the programs in which the feds got it right. 

Everybody have a safe hunt and enjoy the outdors no matter what you chase.

Five years ago I talked two of my neighbors into putting in duck ponds with the help of the Feds.  We got the feds to pay for us putting in a total of 40 acres of ponds/wetlands.   (The best part is I am the only landowner who hunts ducks. I told the guys that the deer are beding in the dry areas and..that's why they went for the ponds.) The first few years was nothing special but this year the cover is back and the ducks (woodies) are in there.  I had a terrific early season with the ducks coming and going into that marsh every morning and evening.  Drainage ditches and sloughs within 500 yards of that area keeps the woodies in the area like a magnet and offered hours of jump shooting chances.  Saturday's (Oct 11) evening flight was something to remember. Ducks in groups of 3- 8 just kept coming in.  I dropped a double, got out ot the blind to direct the dog.....  and the ducks ignored both of us and continued to pile into the ponds and get into the vegatation along their banks...refusing to fly again.  One woodie brazenly landed between the dog and me. Somehow knowing I would not shoot it started "keeing" at the dog while she had the down duck in her mouth. The dog placed the dead duck on a hummock and spent the next 5 minutes franticaly swimming after the duck who was just messin' with it.  In the meantime woodies continued to pile into the marsh completely ignoring the floor show of the dog chasing the woodie and me standing there yelling.  Finally the duck ducked into the cover and the dog started listening to my calls for her return.  While all this was going on my buddy who was laughing too hard to shoot counted over 150 woodies landing into this marsh and its various small ponds.    Sundays mornings cold front sent the ducks fleeing south as I only saw 3 rise from the area the rest of Sunday.  The early season is over and the woodies will be gone when it reopens but what a great 9 days.  

I would urge anybody with some low wet areas on their property to call the Soil and Water folks and investigate the possibility of turning that area into their own world class hunting area. This is one of the programs in which the feds got it right. 

Everybody have a safe hunt and enjoy the outdors no matter what you chase.

WOW!  That'd be pretty cool to see. 

What area are you in?

Sounds GREAT, Bernie...

Will you marry Me ? Or perhaps you could ADOPT me..

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would want to hunt deer when they could be doing something FUN like hunting ducks..

Besides that, ducks are much easier to carry back to the truck and the decoys are much lighter.

Lawdwaz- I am in Otsego county along I88

Pygmy- As appealing as that proposal is....the parts don;t line up so sorry no can do.  Nobody hunts ducks around here but me andsome friends.. It's the deer season that gets everybody crazy about whose hunting where.So as long as I hunt ducks, rabbits, pheasants, grrouse and coyotes I have lots a hunting land.

Have a safe hunt