Age This Jaw Bone (graphic)

She's an old one. At the VERY least, take that jaw to a DEC regional office and let them take a peek at it.

Hell, you're paying their salary. :)

I harvested her on the hoosick area QDM co-op so the jaw bone is saved and tagged so biologists will see it eventually.

Well my guess is definitely over 4.5. Multiple signs with staining, dentine width, molar and premolars wear. The first molar being the oldest tooth I'm not sure has enough wear for 6.5. However we're at the threshold of expected accuracy at 5.5+. So I'm thinking 5.5+ is good enough. I'll post more of these examples with what I think and biologist results when I can. I think it's a great tool for the educated hunter.

• Like 1

hard to tell how may cusps on the Molars... plenty of dentyne however... educated guess for me is 4 years or older... pretty wore down

+1

not sure I follow.  how is it hard to see how many cusps on molars?  number of cusps on molars never changes.  I'm thinking you mean from the side profile each cusp or pretty much the whole tooth isn't very tall and very shallow from wear?

Does the same go for Mule Deer? The one my dad shot this year had zero teeth left. Figured he was 6.5 or 7.5, maybe he was even older then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir...........

http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/stories/site99.pl?page=art-age&tem=art1

Honestly Biz, I would guess that you guys didn't pry the jaw open near enough to see the important teeth in back.  It can be VERY difficult to crank that jaw open after they have been dead for a bit.  Biologists use a pretty impressive tool that can persuade the decedent into opening wide.

Trust me................................................. :)

I wish I could took a pic. Didn't think it was a big deal at the time. They were shocked it had no teeth too. After caping it out they cut out the jaw and couldn't find anything. I know it was an old buck but maybe it had dental issues as well then?

I wish I could took a pic. Didn't think it was a big deal at the time. They were shocked it had no teeth too. After caping it out they cut out the jaw and couldn't find anything. I know it was an old buck but maybe it had dental issues as well then?

They need teeth to live. 

Did your father shoot a handicapped deer?  I certainly hope not............................

deer can have broken teeth or health issues sure.  there's usually at least something there.  like what was said the deer needs to have something there for premolars or molars to chew its food.  when some teeth are broken it's important to realize they're broken and focus on other teeth.  my uncle has a jaw bone from a 2.5 yr old that had hardly anything for a second and third molar on one side.