What triggers the rut?

hondamx32

A number of parameters, mainly photo period.. moon phases and weather also have its factors.

As for the study, I can't help ya there.

Research from multiple studies have proved over and over that the moon phase, and weather have nothing to do with the timing of the rut. There is evidence showing the smallest change from these factors but breeding always took place around the same time period each year. It's simply when does are ready to breed. Weather warm or cold may change it by the slightest variation but not much. It doesn't matter if it's 70 or 20 degrees if the does are ready to breed they're going to be rutting. Yes there may be a doe that comes into heat earlier then others and gets them going more, but most fall in the same time period year after year. In fact there was just a great write up in the most recent outdoor life magazine by Dr. Grant woods further proving this point. It was a good read.
  • Like 1

Yes to that  BuckHunter,  however, so has everyone elses  theories, he even admits that.

.They all seem to agree on the photo light sense  but to predict when things start  who knows,   The important part is to understand the diff phases of the rut cycle.  Generally when people ask,  so when is the rut ?  for hunting terms, they usually mean  when is the seeking phase giving hunters the best chance.   Again, no one can pinpoint that since it's based on other deer senses.

The way I look at it,,  you do the scouting ,looking for diff signs  then be in the stand the first  two weeks of November,  from sun up to sun down !!  Catch the seeking phase for bow hunts,  the chase is tougher to get them to stay still and close, and after that just gets slower.

• Like 1

Thats why I dont listen to theories anymore lol. You can start to hone in on it by watching local road kill numbers. Start seeing button bucks and fawns hit alot, that means the does are kicking them out, and moving around a bit more. Bucks getting hit more often? Seeking is starting. Ive noticed more road kills popping up in the last few days, mostly does but a couple of bucks here and there. All younger bucks that Ive seen so far.

• Like 1

Seems like a lot of folks think that the moon and moon phases are a mysterious thing that have no correlation to the study of photoperiodism. But "the moon" is simply reflected sunlight and the bright and dark of the moon fine-tune the photoperiodic effect. The moon (reflected sunlight) effects many critters besides cervids (deer.) Grunions (a little fish) come up on the California beaches on the full moon, as do some species of salt water turtles, not to mention smallmouth bass. No matter when the full moon hits in May, smallies are up on the shoals during the full moon. Photoperiodism, fine-tuned by moonlight. The light triggers the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the pineal gland though the optic nerve, releasing melatonin, among other pheromones that effect behavior.

• Like 1

Either way you look at it, It's a phenomenon yet to be fully exploited and one of the cool things about nature. Bottom line is be in the stand Halloween through Mid November, anything can happen. 

I myself have looked at several scholarly studies that have failed during research for my wildlife bio degree. Photo-period seems to be a reoccuring theme in many theories but myself believe other factors help shape up the "rut" in all its phases.

Edited by rotorooter23

Breeding peak in NY is right around mid November (15th specifically) according to the DEC. Problem is that it varies a bit statewide.

The moon's impact in my opinion is minimal on the actual breeding. Not non-existant, but minimal. Moonlight and weather fall into the same bucket. Breeding will still take place, but our observation of it (hunters) could be influenced by those factors. Our southern zone gun season is also an impact. When does it start again this year? Oh yeah. November 15.

Photoperiod drives this machine in large.

As it stands I prefer the two weeks leading up to our gun season for hunting. It's exciting, but alot less specific hunting logic. At that point you bank on funnels, bedding, and trails to/from, and hope to play the volume game. In all preference, the first week of November is nice if cold and huntable because as the seeking turns into chasing, getting a shot off is more of a lottery situation. I have screamed at the top of my lungs at bucks bigger than what are on my wall and had zero luck getting them to stop. When they're moving, they act alot like coyotes in the woods, constantly on the move and only idle for a second or two, to get bearings if alone, and good luck if they are trailing a doe. Problem with most years is that we get a warm spell that first week and most of the action takes place in the dark or right at first/last light. Get a couple crips days and its a world of difference with day-long sits being exciting.

Edited by phade

Photoperiod is the initial driver... photoperiod is what triggers hormonal change in the bucks which triggers the urge to breed, breeding activity itself can be all over the place based of moon, temperature, number of hot does and even overall health off the herd... mid November is always a good bet... but it can happen a bit earlier or a bit later... pre-rut activity and even post rut activity can be just as good depending on the number of bucks (and does) in a given habitat.

Over the years I have heard about photoperiod, daylight, temperature….etc… Im sure that those factors all play a role. But for me boner buck prime time  has always been the last  few days of October through the first two weeks of November. I never pay too much attention to the Alzenchieem-which- a ma-jig report.

Ahh...The age-old, annual dilemma of trying to apply science in predicting when it's most probable or convenient to hunt mature bucks. The old balancing act of family time vs hunting time, while taking a minimum amount of vacation in hopes of being in the right place at the right time. If wild animals (deer) weren't so unpredictable, would it still be fun or enjoyable?

his writings on whitetail behavior, hunting strategy, and quality deer management have garnered critical and popular acclaim. In addition to being a long-time field editor for Deer and Deer Hunting, Alsheimer's articles appear in Outdoor Life, Whitetail News, and many other prominent magazines. His books include Strategies for Whitetails, Whitetail - Rites of Autumn, Quality Deer Management - The Basics and Beyond, Hunting Whitetails by the Moon, Whitetail - Behavior Through the Seasons, and Whitetail - The Ultimate Challenge. He is also the co-author of A Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting.

My opinion, this man is the pro on Whitetail behavior,

This is His research

http://charliealsheimer.com/ca/articles/art_rut.html

That link is not  research, it is an article written by a journalist, not research written by a scientist.... The biography off of that link lists where this guy is published (*) - none of them are science journals. Research is published in science journals. And it is not published until it is reviewed by a panel of other scientists...

(*) Not science journals: "his writings on whitetail behavior, hunting strategy, and quality deer management have garnered critical and popular acclaim. In addition to being a long-time field editor for Deer and Deer Hunting, Alsheimer's articles appear in Outdoor Life, Whitetail News, and many other prominent magazines. His books include Strategies for Whitetails, Whitetail - Rites of Autumn, Quality Deer Management - The Basics and Beyond, Hunting Whitetails by the Moon, Whitetail - Behavior Through the Seasons, and Whitetail - The Ultimate Challenge. He is also the co-author of A Guide to Adirondack Deer Hunting".

Means full-blown rut from Nov. 1st - 15th. Rut will occur thats for sure... But the weather and hunting pressure will effect this greatly. Be in the woods Veterans day week. They'll be on their feet.

Election week has been the week I take time off. If I didn't score then I still have time left. And like Phade said, it sure can be warm that week!