This is bugging the heck out of me........

ididnotvoteforobama

This last Monday evening ,I was in my stand on the hay field in front of my log home . Across the street and all around me are Amish families . I am in the middle of an Amish community . Well about 6pm , there are 2 rifle shots across the street from me . I hear shooting all the time , 24/ 7, so its not uncommon. Well it gets dark , starting to rain  and I get out of the  stand and pack up to head home about 7:30, I'm building this log home but live about 50 miles north,  I  head down my 1800 ft driveway , pull out to lock the gate , and across the field , I see a flash light .Then the light goes out , this is about 200yds across the field from my Amish neighbors house,  in his field. i drive by slow and don't see the light anymore. I want to get out and walk into the field to see whats going on , but , I can't , I need to get home , my dad has terminal cancer and not doing good.

What conclusion would you draw from this senario?. Many times ,Ive talked to my Amish neighbor about all the shooting that I hear , always mention that every year I see less deer. I ask if there is any poaching going on and he always says , not him ,he wouldn't do that. Well who shot 2 times at 6pm , who was in the field in the rain at 7:30pm. These are questions I'm going to ask ,next time I get down there. I have known him and his family for 15 yrs , they are great neighbors , we help each other out .I need to tread lightly here , I'm moving down there in 2 yrs. I'll  get back to this site after I talk to him this coming Tuesday.

10 to 15 yrs ago , the deer population was unbelievable , many large bucks , does would come by in 2's and 3's . Just during bow season , I would see 30-35 bucks , 60-70 does. now its like 5 bucks (yearlings) and 25 does , granted I'm seeing the same deer 2 maybe 3 times . I'll need to put in food plots etc. to keep the deer on my 175 acres as much as possible.

I've heard grumbling in Otsego County where the Amish have become prevalent in the past 10 or 15 years. I don't know of any prosecutions for poaching so cannot be sure if any of the complaining is true. Around here you hear all kinds of things. 

I don't have any Amish within a few miles of me so I have no personal experience with their hunting practices. I usually give one Amish family I know a extra DMP after Thanksgiving if any have not been used.

They will shoot anything with no regard to season. Everything is open 365 days a year. (maybe Sunday excluded)

I see this mentioned a lot on this site. Is this really true or just a stereotype? I honestly don't know much the Amish other than horses, no electricity, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well how do Amish buy guns because then need a picture ID for a NICS Check ?

They have guns that have been passed around the community , bought and sold with out nics checks .Kind of like what happens in the community , stays in the community .

I have had my place for 15 yrs,  I guess I'll have to accept the fact that they take deer pretty much  all year long. I'll have to make my 175 acres , a deer haven , so they don't have to wander off.

• Like 1

I talked to my Amish neighbors,  21 yr old son on the way in tonight . He said he didn't know about any shots last Monday evening  or anybody in the field  in the rain . His younger , 14 yr old brother was with  him and denied knowing about any shots fired. I'll talk to his father tomorrow , but either way , they know how I feel about poaching . If they know anything and won't say , at least they know I'm watching whats going on. I don't want to make it sound as if I'm accusing them of anything , just letting them know what I know.