damn deer farms

G-Man

I feel that hunting animals that are not free range is not hunting. I also think breeding deer for large racks is cheating. The whole system to me is based on people spending money to compensate for a lack of skill or work ethic. But, these are just my opinions.

• Like 3

paula, problem is selling and moving deer around, spreading this disease.. some people want big racks and they will pay for them so be it..but when a wild deer puts its nose against a fenced deer and this spreads to wild herds it causes problems, the infected deer was brought in from pa. to ohio. perhaps a 10 ft fence seperated by 10' from enclosure should be mandatory...

I do not have an issue with the farmers... I have an issue with the people that are willing to lay down big $$$ to hunt a farm raised deer....

The thought of that is just min boggling to me, but if people are willing to pay for it, than I have no issue with the role the farmer plays... They are just trying to make a living.

Not all deer farms are for hunting. I do understand that some of the deer from one farm might get sold to another for whatever reason. Aren't some used for doe estrous? Some guys from this sight have bought some from the PA guy, and use antler ice and other brands. I thought CWD was also found in wild deer?

Not all deer farms are for hunting. I do understand that some of the deer from one farm might get sold to another for whatever reason. Aren't some used for doe estrous? Some guys from this sight have bought some from the PA guy, and use antler ice and other brands. I thought CWD was also found in wild deer?

Well Paula the biggest problem is that the few clowns that run their mouths about deer farming and high fence hunting have no clue about CWD. They dont have the knowledge or do the research to know that the same CWD prion has been found in Alfalfa hay and in corn that any person can buy and feed their animals regardless if they are deer or not and spread the prion into that soil to anywhere in the country. They also cant explain how it can be that the state of Illinois has over 500 cases of CWD in the wild yet there has never been a case behind fence. Nor can they explain how there is CWD case in a pile of states that have never had a deer farm in them.

Bottom line is that CWD does not have any effect on the deer herds and even in the red zone in Wisconsin where CWD has been arond for over 13 years guys now have to kill more deer off their property because of over population. Yup CWD is a bad dude..So bad that they cut the fences twice at Wind Cave national forest and let herds of Elk run free for hunters to harvest and that herd has an 80% positive CWD number in that herd..Yup they are really worried about it.

The haters just hate because they are not invovled in the success. Every Ny farm is sold out of antlered bucks for this year and the good high fence ranches are turning hunters away because they dont have enough animals to hunt.  Well they will be hating for many years to come because high fence hunting is growing leaps and bounds every year and there are many New Yorkers finding out that they can make 20 to 80 grand a year easy and are fencing in waste land that cant be used to raise any other animals!.

Comments coming from people like Steve....Well you can see what that shows about their smarts by reading the comments!  Now back to the camp card game here at Letchworth and yes the ropes will see action thanks!

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
eddited for language
  • Like 1

In all seriousness, how many states allow high fence hunting? From what I heard many states out west do not allow it. I think Wyoming is one of them who does not allow it.

Separately, do you only farm deer or do sell hunts? From what I recall you don't sell hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I see your point from the business end of things. Hell if I could do it I would. But I still think people that hang a deer on the wall that came from a deer farm are some cheating, sorry excuses of hunters, that would rather take the easy road and buy a rack instead of putting in the time and effort. But to each their own. Wouldn't catch me doing it.

• Like 2

In all seriousness, how many states allow high fence hunting? From what I heard many states out west do not allow it. I think Wyoming is one of them who does not allow it.

Separately, do you only farm deer or do sell hunts? From what I recall you don't sell hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are very few that dont and every state that does sells out of animals every year. This place in Ohio where CWD was found sold over 100 hunts in the month of September alone. This place buys a million dollars worth of animals a year. All these recent cases came out of a Pa farm where CWD was found in the wild herd in that area before it was found on a farm. The smart person knows that demand runs a business and without it one would not be around long. With the way EHD is taking out the whitetails in the southern states and the DEC<DNR taking out the whitetails because of piss poor management you will see this grow leaps and bounds.  These are now considered livestock and farmers are being paid for their deer that get EHD and now if a state wants to take out a herd because of CWD it costs them millions. CWD has proven itself in the last 50 years to do nothing to any herds in any state. Its all political by groups like QDMA because its the future, Like it or Not.

I do not sell hunts. Mostly breeder quality animals..7 acres out of 749 under fence. The rest is managed to be some of the better hunting in Jefferson County!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 1

The whole it's profitable argument doesn't sit well with me. Anytime there is money to be made it leads to corruption on both sides of the fence. Just because these hunts sell out doesn't make it right. It just tells me that more and more people don't want to work for what they want, which we already know because we see it in all other aspects of life. If your making money off of it, then good for you, but that's a poor argument for ethics.

Keeping animals in a fence has been creating problems for years, its not natural and goes against mother nature. Disease is her way of fixing problems, so it only makes sense to me that the more we fence in animals the more disease we will see.

• Like 2

Guess we should stop buying preorbital, tarsal, doe and buck urine scents.  Some of the comments are pathetic in their argument and childish.  While I do not like high fence hunts, deer farms get a bad rap IMO.  And CDW is overblown.  But lets just keep bashing the farmer who is actually out hunting right now!  Arg. 

• Like 4