meat or antlers ?

bigbass007

It should be left up to the shooter. End of the day it's up to them, I mean they paid for their tag.

I personally like to fill my freezer with a doe in all honesty. If I'm looking to fill the freezer or get meat, shooting a deer of size would only make sense to me and I don't mean rack wise I mean body size.

• Like 3

I prefer to take does for meat and then antler hunt after that. In the beginning I would take fork horns and spikes, but my views have changed now. I see no reason why new hunters get knocked for harvesting smaller bucks. Its a learning experience and its not like we have an over supply of massive mature bucks walking around.

• Like 5

ok maybe i phrased it wrong was looking to see how many guys and gals out there were meat hunters verses antler hunters more than wheather they would shoot a button or a spike the question is state wide not strictly LI ... I was taught as a meat hunter and that antlers were second but with all the debate out there wanted to see how many of each type were out there

I think certain size instead of type would put it into light a bit more. But no matter what you will always have guys who will make the stabs and guys who will congratulate. If your talking about the younger gentleman who posted that deer with the spots, I saw that going down hill when he posted it.

• Like 1

I'm hunting for meat for others...well trying.... but when it comes to the buck tag...I'm looking for a mature deer..that is ..unless I have not had the doe come in and it looks like tag soup....there are some ppl in need out there....never a fawn unless a mistake...sorry a bambi thing for me...

I Guess I am still "old" school, I was taught that Hunting was all about putting food on the table. I don't spent $60 on a Lic. $30 on shells and spent countless hours in the woods letting deer walk buy because something "bigger" might come by. If the deer presents a safe/Killing shot and meets MY standards then I will take it. I don't care if its a doe, a spike, or a monster. I have taken many spikes and crotch-horns that outweighed many of my buddies 6 and 8 points. I am blessed to live in an area that has plenty of deer, however you would not know that after opening weekend. I also take my son with me and the Memories we have shared in the stand are priceless!

• Like 7

I'm hunting for meat for others...well trying.... but when it comes to the buck tag...I'm looking for a mature deer..that is ..unless I have not had the doe come in and it looks like tag soup....there are some ppl in need out there....never a fawn unless a mistake...sorry a bambi thing for me...

I agree grow... I myself have been trying to fill a doe tag half for me and half for a family in need that I know. I feel if I can help then I should.
  • Like 1

Geno ...youv'e seen me on here for a # of years now...and know I usually have a doe down by now....Dang I fear I jixed myself.....I have seen very few doe...yet know they are out there...nothing close save the one I missed and that was due to her being farther out than I thought...I have a doe on cam that walks around looking up in the air ...even at night...LOL...

The buck this morning would have been a "given".. but he has a nice 8pt frame for such a young buck and he just looked worn out when he strolled by...may have been in one of those fights I heard...just didn't seem fair...lol

• Like 2

Meat first.

i will admit I shot a button buck last day of the season last year... and was a bit sad that I did.  I didn't know it was a button buck at the time though.

I passed this year on a button buck at 8 yards.  Just didn't feel right about it.

last season was a rough one for me.  Seen a lot of dear during bow but didn't get a shot.  Gun season was horrible, I didn't see anything until the last day of the season, the button buck was one of them.  Like I said I didn't know at the time I shot him.

Easy call to make early in the season.  Not so much on the last day.

last season was a rough one for me.  Seen a lot of dear during bow but didn't get a shot.  Gun season was horrible, I didn't see anything until the last day of the season, the button buck was one of them.  Like I said I didn't know at the time I shot him.

Easy call to make early in the season.  Not so much on the last day.

Im not passing judgement.  My time is usually limited and after eating tag soup last season I was definitely thinking about shooting that button buck.  

• Like 1

I wish I could say I had these lofty goals and standards every year, but that would be a lie.

I'd rather shoot a buck, but older or rutty bucks are usually tougher and strong tasting.

Does usually taste better, but I hate killing next years crop before it even gets started.

At the end of the day, especially if it's cold, I'll shoot the first legal deer that doesn't have spots, and I'm always happier if it has antlers.

I wish I could say I had these lofty goals and standards every year, but that would be a lie.

I'd rather shoot a buck, but older or rutty bucks are usually tougher and strong tasting.

Does usually taste better, but I hate killing next years crop before it even gets started.

At the end of the day, especially if it's cold, I'll shoot the first legal deer that doesn't have spots, and I'm always happier if it has antlers.

+2 However having a cubing machine makes those older larger deer just as tender

• Like 1

Grandmother for me 2 young ( born this year ) and there cousin a button buck on the property with there mom's ( less then 2 years old ) waiting for grandmother who is around 3 years old or less  now  to show up, it will happen some time this hunting season. If grandad shows  up that will be great too.

I start out looking for a good buck, but as the season goes on I get less selective. I have only been out a few times this year, and have passed on a small buck and some does. When the rut ends I will probably take any mature deer. Button bucks and small does still get a pass. But thats just me.  I would never look down on a hunter for filling his/her tags the way they want.