How many is too many - coyotes

catskillkid

Someones getting deer in the area for they have been yipping and calling back and fore every night I assume they are in the area feeding...and remember last year my talking about all the fox and rabbits? Well not this year...those have been few and far between since this late spring.....

Yep i agree, i border on Deleware and Otsego counties and there are alot of coyotes..i have taken a couple while deer hunting and one male was a bruiser.they are big up my way.Just last week at the cabin i had the widow open in the bedroom and there were so many yipping that i was woken out of my sleep. Every night you just stand out on the patio and they are yipping and howling back at each other..time for some predator control after deer season.

In my section of 4F the deer population seems to correlate directly with the coyote population. The more coyotes the less deer.  We have had years where there were lots more coyote tracks then deer tracks. Seem to have less coyotes now and the deer population is increasing.

In my section of 4F the deer population seems to correlate directly with the coyote population. The more coyotes the less deer.  We have had years where there were lots more coyote tracks then deer tracks. Seem to have less coyotes now and the deer population is increasing.

When I was on the citizen task force for 4F a couple of years ago, it became clear that there were spots in the unit that had low deer numbers. Overall, the unit has too many deer. Lower numbers were in the SW and eastern corners. We discussed with DEC the possibility of splitting the unit because of its large size and lack of uniformity. The areas within a mile of the state forests also had low numbers of deer.

I think the biggest problem with deer overpopulation is the amount of posted land. Deer know where it is safe during the season. Also, there is still a reluctance on the part of some to shoot does.

I think people are too quick to blame coyotes for low deer numbers. Coyotes are opportunistic. In the dacks they are probably a big factor. Having spent many days XC sking in 4F, I have found winter coyote kills to be common only under very specific conditions. When conditions are perfect - the crust holds up the coyotes but not the deer - the deer get hammered. I've seen these conditions twice in the past 15 years.

While they obviously take some fawns, I counted 14 on an evening walk around the property a month ago. Coyotes are everywhere in the state, even NYC. I cannot subscribe the the anti-coyote dogma.

• Like 1

When I was on the citizen task force for 4F a couple of years ago, it became clear that there were spots in the unit that had low deer numbers. Overall, the unit has too many deer. Lower numbers were in the SW and eastern corners. We discussed with DEC the possibility of splitting the unit because of its large size and lack of uniformity. The areas within a mile of the state forests also had low numbers of deer.

This is true and I happen to be in the SW corner. And the unit is way to big. Then the units next to me went to AR's either everyone came over the road to hunt 4F or as i suppose a lot just shot the small buck and reported it shot in 4F(non AR's)

On the two properties I hunt,we try to shoot every coyote we see. But it hasn't made much of a difference,they still outnumber the deer.

I will tell you from first hand knowledge that if you do not claim war on those freakin things you will have no deer to hunt. What fawns they dont eat or adults they dont bring down in the snow,they will chase them untill the deer just leave! It has happened right here at my place. I played around trying to thin them when legal...It will not work, Like it or not you have to have a season on the 365 and take them at every chance and when it is open season( Which it should be 365) you need to get dogs in there to run them and kill by the dozens. Within a couple years you will have no deer hunting if ya dont.  I know some will bitch about the closed season and all but i will take any ticket some econ wants to hand out before i will let something ruin what i work hard for and love. Sorry..Just not gunna happen!

I will tell you from first hand knowledge that if you do not claim war on those freakin things you will have no deer to hunt. What fawns they dont eat or adults they dont bring down in the snow,they will chase them untill the deer just leave! It has happened right here at my place. I played around trying to thin them when legal...It will not work, Like it or not you have to have a season on the 365 and take them at every chance and when it is open season( Which it should be 365) you need to get dogs in there to run them and kill by the dozens. Within a couple years you will have no deer hunting if ya dont.  I know some will bitch about the closed season and all but i will take any ticket some econ wants to hand out before i will let something ruin what i work hard for and love. Sorry..Just not gunna happen!

Michael Kerry, You are poacher! You run a business/farm in NY ( http://www.fourseasonwhitetails.com/ ) and are admitting to breaking the NYS hunting laws/regulations. I hope you get your license revoked for years to come so you can't hunt anything.

• Like 1

i struggle with the non-open season on yotes. Many states have open season on yotes, boar etc. You are required to only use the legal implement during that season so it keeps the guns out of the woods during bow.

I believe the reason is to give the woods a rest and to allow non-hunters some time, but I don't think there is that many yote hunters out that it would make an impact if it were 365.