.270 bullet and grain recommendations

damore81

130 gr power points for me. They are cheap and readily available. Have to take a little care with the tips as they seem to ding up pretty easy. Never has caused me to have accuracy issues in the field. I have my scope zeroed 1 inch high at 100 yards, and this covers me out to 200 with no aim adjustments.

130 gr power points for me. They are cheap and readily available. Have to take a little care with the tips as they seem to ding up pretty easy. Never has caused me to have accuracy issues in the field. I have my scope zeroed 1 inch high at 100 yards, and this covers me out to 200 with no aim adjustments.

Dads 7400 clipped them off pretty heavily. That is why we switched

I used to shoot 130gr accutips. Wasn't really a fan. Shot an 8 point at like 15 to 20 yards slight quartering too. I was surprised the deer didn't pile up. It ran about 20 yards and lights out. Found the bullet near the off ribs whole. I changed to 150gr corelocts and they do the job very well.

I have a 270 WSM that I load with 140 Sierra GK hollow points. It's very accurate and drops deer in their tracks. If it's an inside 50 yard shot you should be neck shooting. It's devastating. Out past that the boiler room is okay. Meat damage is no worse than what you would expect from just about anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tried them all, too.  I've concluded to kill deer you do not need the high priced premium ammo.  At todays prices they are running from $35-$50 per box and you definitely don't need to spend that kind of money for ammo for NYS deer.  In my .270 with plain vanilla Federal Power-shok ammo that you can find for $20 per box I get groups that are just as good as with the expensive stuff.  Will put deer down just as good also.  If you handload you can get away with shooting premium bullets for less, but buying them ready made you are honestly spending too much for little to no advantage.

• Like 1

I've tried them all, too.  I've concluded to kill deer you do not need the high priced premium ammo.  At todays prices they are running from $35-$50 per box and you definitely don't need to spend that kind of money for ammo for NYS deer.  In my .270 with plain vanilla Federal Power-shok ammo that you can find for $20 per box I get groups that are just as good as with the expensive stuff.  Will put deer down just as good also.  If you handload you can get away with shooting premium bullets for less, but buying them ready made you are honestly spending too much for little to no advantage.

Aren't the power shok Sierra Gameking bullets?

Aren't the power shok Sierra Gameking bullets?

Not that I know of.  The Power-shok made by Federal are sort of like the Remington Core-lokts.  It's their plain vanilla cartridges that they sell for the lowest prices.  They've been making them for years.  I first used them years ago when I got my .270, and then tried everything else that was more expensive, and now have gone back to them.  The rest didn't perform any better on NYS deer than these do and the accuracy I get is just as good, too.  If I were to go on an expensive hunt somewhere else, I'd fire Nosler Partitions, Barnes bullets or something like that, but for run of the mill deer in NY, the Power-shoks do the trick.

Here's the Cabelas link for the Power-shoks.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rifle-Ammunition|/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104532480/Federal174-Power-Shok8482-Ammunition/728422.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Frifle-ammunition%2F_%2FN-1100190%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104532480%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat104792580%253Bcat104691780&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104792580%3Bcat104691780%3Bcat104532480

Edited by steve863

The 270 is an extremely flat shooting round. Federal Premium, 150 grain Nosler Partitions is what I have use for over 15 years. Have used it on whitetails, mulies and a couple of mountain goats. Killed my NY buck at 400 yrds last year. It is a great round for medium sized game.

I used to use the less expensive ammo and still do in most calipers, I had a few experiences with winchester white box and core-lockts separating at very close distances. I still recovered the deer but I like my bullets to have the ability to go end for end at any distance and that why I shoot a bonded or copper solid bullet in my fast calibers like 270.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Been hunting for over 30 years with rifle.  You will not go wrong with the 150 grain Remington coreloks.  Expensive is not always better

X2 most of your round nose bullets and some with a small flat are still your best knock down bullets.You want a bullet that expands the most in a deer to knock them down. Some of your plastic pointed and bonded bullets will go threw easier and do less damage, they might leave a better blood trail but won't knock them down as fast.

• 2 weeks later...