Wind this Weekend

Pav2704

How much does gusty wind effect deer movement this time of the year???  It seems like every weekend I get a chance to hunt the wind is blowing.  This weekend the wind gusts are expected to be around 25mph in the area where I hunt.  Is it worth going up with wind like this?  Will the deer still be moving?  Would it be better to take some personal/vacation time and go up during the week when the wind dies down?  Opinions please!!!

You can see deer when you least expect to, but given a choice of hunting on a windy day or one that wasn't windy, I'd definitely go with NO wind.  So easy to miss seeing deer when everything is noisy and trees and foliage blowing all over the place.  Nothing like those calm days when you can hear something moving before you see it.  My luck has been way better on those calm days.

Edited by steve863

I prefer wind over no wind.

Noise cover on entry, defined scent cone on steady winds, and so on.

Low areas, low areas with food sources, and thick brushy areas with limited shooting/visibility are where I look to be on heavy wind days. Low areas block wind, low areas with open fields (food or grassy cover) can work well if they don't block wind as much (I've seen more mature bucks in open on windy days - using vision where their nose and ears cant work as well), or thick cover where the wind is blocked and you get some thermal temp bump...big boys like to play in there and roam freely. Wind also helps cover your entry into those spots to get in tight.

Now, wind can be alot, but at this time of year, I wouldn't be worrying about it.

Edited by phade

I prefer wind over no wind.

Noise cover on entry, defined scent cone on steady winds, and so on.

Low areas, low areas with food sources, and thick brushy areas with limited shooting/visibility are where I look to be on heavy wind days. Low areas block wind, low areas with open fields (food or grassy cover) can work well if they don't block wind as much (I've seen more mature bucks in open on windy days - using vision where their nose and ears cant work as well), or thick cover where the wind is blocked and you get some thermal temp bump...big boys like to play in there and roam freely. Wind also helps cover your entry into those spots to get in tight.

Now, wind can be alot, but at this time of year, I wouldn't be worrying about it.

One windy day yrs ago during bow the wind was whipping like no tomorrow, after about an 1 1/2 hrs into my morning hunt I hadn't seen a thing I convinced myself to get out. As soon as I hit the base of the tree I looked up the trail and a decent buck was heading right to me until he saw me climb down. I don't know what it is but id rather sit in the rain than the wind.