Biz-R-OWorld (2014 New York Deer)

BizCT

Now that Xbow season has begun, figured I would start a journal. As always, hunting a small 8 acre piece of property in 3N (Putnam County).  Previous trail cam checks below:

Trail cam pics thru 10/18/14 > http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/24927-bucks-and-yotes-3n-putnam-county/

Trail cam pics thru 9/13/14 > http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/24156-bobcatyotefoxseveral-bucks-3n-putnam-county/

Trail cam pics 8/9/14 – 8/23/14 > http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/23843-3n-putnam-co-8914-82314/

11/1/14: Opening Day of Xbow season. 40 degrees with winds 15-20mph. My Dad and I sat dark - dark. I saw nothing all day. My Dad missed at 7:40am the 5 pointer we have had pics of for several months now. He shot and heard a snap-thump, so he thought he hit him. The buck casually walked away unfazed. My Dad recocked but couldn't get a second shot. He waited about 45 minutes and then checked for blood and found nothing. Then found his arrow stuck in a stump. Turns out the arrow deflected off a twig and into a stump before ever reaching the buck. Hopefully we see this guy again.  I checked the cams and continue to have pics of this 5 pointer as well as an 8 pointer (most recently on 10/20). Pics attached. The throw and grow is all but gone now, but as of 2 weeks ago the bucks were still coming into it.

11/2/14: We woke up at 4:45am and decided to stay in. 20-30mph winds with gusts over 40mph all day. I can't ever remember wind like this during hunting season. Sucks for me, I'm down to only next weekend remaining for the Xbow season. My Dad will be out all week with the exception of maybe Thurs and Fri to leave the area untouched for when I return on Saturday.

I will update this thread everyday through the end up of the 2014 seasons.

post-871-0-66923200-1415029126_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-25659300-1415029130_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-76928200-1415029133_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-03518700-1415029140_thumb.jpg

post-871-0-94735100-1415029145_thumb.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Note those 2 cams are about 125 yards apart, so the 5 pointer is clearly hanging in this area for months now.  I sit between the two above cams.  My Dad sits about 200 yards away from me. W both hunt from the ground sitting against stone walls.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

11/7: I worked all day, but my Dad hunted dark -11am on state land and saw nothing. Then went to a friends property to shoot our shotguns to make sure they are still on for the gun season. Then he went back to the state land from 2-dark and saw nothing. We will be hunting the private land tomorrow, hopefully things start to move. Supposed to be around 30 tomorrow morning and he hasn't been there since Wednesday. I'll check the cams too midday tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/8: dad and I hunted dark to dark. As we were pulling into driveway to park at 530am we see the 8pt we have pics of just standing there in the property we hunt. Hope to see him again. I saw nothing all day until 230pm when I saw a deer running about 100 yds away out of the pines. I hit the grunt tube which I barely ever use and the deer made a beeline right to me. He was over a hill so I couldn't see him but heard him so I stood up and saw the body of a deer and sat back down. Hit the grunt 1 more time and he came up over the hill to 27 yards before seeing me sitting against a stone wall. He stayed long enough for a shot and was blowing at me. He was a 1 pointer I have pics of. Too bad he wasn't bigger. I let him pass. Pretty cool having one come running to my call though. Thought it might be a real good afternoon but saw nothing else. Met my dad at dark and he saw the same 1 pointer with 2 does at 245pm, so maybe he was chasing them?

Also checked the cams, got some yotes and the 5pt my dad missed opening day. He came by just after dark on 11/5.

Tomorrow is the last day of xbow season for me.

You mean a one horn spike buck?

Hopefully tomorrow will be the day..........

Yes, a spike and nothing on other side. Couldn't tell if it's a nub or broke or never grew. Funny thing is he doesn't look small body size

11/9: my dad and I hunted dark to dark and saw nothing. Guess I should have shot the 1pt. Oh well. Onto gun season for me. My dad will probably hunt a few more days this week with xbow.

11/10: while I was at work all day my dad hunted dark to dark and did not see any deer but did see some new fresh signs including several new scrapes. just before dark he saw a marten. He's not going back to the private land for the rest of the week so hopefully opening day Saturday with the gun we will see some action.

I will check the cameras on Saturday since my dad isn't savvy enough to do so. Hopefully the eight pointer and a five pointer or still in the area. I got a feeling gun season will be good when there are other hunters in the woods and the surrounding areas pushing them around. We've seen no sign of other hunters on the neighboring lands hunting during archery season so maybe they're all gun hunters. We never knew since we never hunted this early before

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

11/11: while I was at work, my dad hunted dark - dark on state land didn't see anything.

I got 1 vacation/sick day left for 2014. Tempted to use it friday for the last day of xbow, but not sure I want to go to our private spot before opening day of gun. Decisions, decisions....

Ya can't kill 'em from the office........................... :)

Take the day off; you'd rather kill one with the xbow than the gun, right?

My Dad said No lol. He doesn't want to be in a situation of tracking a deer opening day of gun from the night before.

Guess I'll save the day for gun season if necessary.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

My Dad said No lol. He doesn't want to be in a situation of tracking a deer opening day of gun from the night before.

Guess I'll save the day for gun season if necessary.

Nevermind, I talked him into it. 60 degrees now, but should be 27 on Friday morning. I will be hunting Friday xbow, sat/sun with shotgun. Hopefully a 2 buck long weekend!!

• Like 1

11/13: while I was at work, Dad hunted state land dark to dark and saw nothing. Been a slow start so far but I guess it's still nice to be hunting before gun season for the first time ever.

I took tomorrow off and we Will be going to the private land spot tomorrow, Saturday and aunday

• Like 1

11/14: My dad and I hunted dark to dark on the private land.

I Seen a deer at 720am, couldn't tell what it was and it appeared to bed down in some heavy stuff about 80 yards away. With the wet ground I made a slow stalk, wind was perfect. Was expecting to see the deer stand up and it never did. It's like it vanished. I would have saw spook and run away. Maybe it's still in there and won't move unless I step on it.

I saw nothing the rest of the day. My dad saw no deer and nice a big red fox around 4pm on a stone wall but 55 yards, too far for a shot.

Checked the cams and we haven't missed much, not sure where the deer went. The 5pt we've had pics of for months and my dad missed on 11/1 is still hanging around but the pics is around 11pm on 11/12.

Hopefully tomorrow brings out all the neighboring gun hunters and they will push some deer around. Should be good weather, around 20 degrees in the morning.

post-871-14160084330293_thumb.jpg

11/15: opening day of gun. Hunted with my dad dark - dark on private land spot. I saw nothing all day. My dad watched a doe bedded down sleeping from 245-315pm, 50 yards away. Would have been an easy shot, too bad it wasn't a buck. Slow opening day 2 years in a row. Only heard a handful of shots all day. Starting to wonder if the neighbors dogs who are outside barking their heads off all day long for the last 2 years has something to do with it

11/16: my Dad hunted dark to dark and saw nothing.

I hunted dark to 10am and Passed up this guy at 650am at 30 yards. Thought he was a spike the whole time until he spooked and from behind I could see it was definitely this buck, he's either 4 or 5pts but tiny. Guess since I sit in the ground the angle was weird for counting pts.

Then just after 7am I saw a doe at 50 yards.

Even though it's been a slow start, we did see all of the bucks we had on camera. My dad missed the 5pt on 11/1 with xbow. We both saw and passed up 1pt on 11/8. I passed up this little freaky guy today and we saw the 8pt on 11/8 but at 530am as we pulled into the driveway. I coulda tagged out with 2 bucks already but I'm trying to hold out for the 5 or 8. I'll be back at it next Saturday. My dad will be back out Tuesday. No hunting for him tomorrow, 11/17