Biz-R-OWorld (2014 New York Deer)

BizCT

Dad is a trooper for being out there today. It was chilly. Those deer get cold too and have to move even in crappy, windy weather. Hope your luck changes and see the big 8.

Thanks. Hopefully Saturday when I'm back out there lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11/19: while I was at work, my dad hunted dark to dark. At 930am he saw the 1 pointer (that we saw during Xbow) come out of the pines. He never saw my dad and walked past him in the open valley about 60yards away. He saw nothing the rest and will hunt state land the next 2 days to give the private land a break before we hunt it together on Saturday and Sunday.

11/20: My Dad has a pretty bad cold and didn't go out this morning, but it sounds like he will go out this afternoon based on his email below to me:

Tommy,

I just feel I really need to go out today, even for just a few hours. The opening day this past Sat. was my 48th. straight without missing one ( knock wood! )   I hope to continue!

Dad

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

11/22: 16 degrees this morning. As of 2pm, neither my Dad nor I have seen anything. I met up with my Dad at 130pm and spotted orange, another hunter. We talked to the neighboring landowners father and son hunting. Combined they missed the 8pt I got pics of and hit the 5pt we got pics of in the leg during bow. They had cool pics of a blonde coyote they saw this morning. Oh well, sounds like this area is getting a lot of pressure this year. Their buddy shot a doe this year too. Not that we care about does, but another hunter in the woods means more pressure. Between them and the landowners on the other side of us, probably 5-7 hunters hunting less than 2 a mile stretch behind houses in heavy pines

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

5 to 7 hunters in a 2 mile stretch isn't bad. That's 5 to 7 hunters in appx 1200 acres.

Now 5 to 7 in a two acre area.....That's pressure. LOL

The 2 mile stretch is only a few hundred yards deep. Doubt it equates to that many acres. We hunt 8 acres

Think you need to find so new hunting ground to increase your odds...

It's been like this for years. Nothing new. Some years are better than others. Between my Dad and I we have close to 30 bucks out of this spot in the last 31 years. Typically a nearby gun club has hunters pushing deer to us as well. Never monsters but my dad has many 7,8,9s out of this spot. Not many other options nearby in Putnam County

11/22: continued. My dad saw nothing all day. At 4:15, I saw a buck walking away from me about 130 yards away, it was a buck, not the 8, but maybe the 5 or the weird 3/4/5. Tried a quick bleat but he kept going. Onto tomorrow

11/23: I hunted dark - 10am and saw nothing.

My Dad hunted dark to dark and saw a doe around 10am.  For the afternoon, he moved to my spot and 345pm he saw a deer trotting through the woods a ways off. At 350pm it stopped at 110 yards between some trees and my Dad saw a nice big rack. He held behind the shoulder and took a shot with the shotgun. The buck spun around and went over the hill. With dark approaching, my Dad gave it only 20 minutes and went down to the spot he shot and found blood heading towards a stream, then looked up and saw the buck trotting off (on the other side of the stream). He marked the spot and went back to his truck to get his waders since the stream is about 3-4' deep.  Knowing that heavy rain was coming later that night into Monday, he crossed the stream and continued to the follow the blood trail in the dark.  It was definitely a pass-thru because there was blood on both side of the deer tracks. He came upon a blowdown and was hoping to the find the buck there, but instead found a bunch of dirt kicked up and a pool of blood. At this point, he decided not to push the buck anymore, since he clearly jumped it.

11/24: My Dad headed out around 9am this morning after the heavy rain died down. I really hope he finds this buck. He has only lost maybe 2 or 3 deer in his 40+ year career hunting. I have a feeling this buck is the 8pt we have pics of. I know my Dad will spend all day canvassing the area, just hope this buck didn't run too much further before bedding down to die.  Only thing I can think of is that my Dad hit him a little low since it was 110 yards or maybe a little back? But my Dad found no green, so he doesn't think it was a gut shot.

good luck, hope he finds it.

Thanks, me too!  If I would have hunted all day yesterday I would have seen it and shot it. But I usually only hunt Sunday mornings, since I can't take Monday off from work and never want to end up in a situation like he is right now. He's retired so he can look all day today for it.  I honestly think its a dead deer, just hoping the 1" of rain didn't wash away all blood. If there's any blood left, my Dad will find it.

Thanks, me too!  If I would have hunted all day yesterday I would have seen it and shot it. But I usually only hunt Sunday mornings, since I can't take Monday off from work and never want to end up in a situation like he is right now. He's retired so he can look all day today for it.  I honestly think its a dead deer, just hoping the 1" of rain didn't wash away all blood. If there's any blood left, my Dad will find it.

i feel you on that, but since your old man is retired id hunt all day, you shoot something and cannot track it you can have him pick up the pieces in the AM lol.  i think its a dead deer as well with the high winds last night hes hunkered down some where close.

11/14: UPDATE....Good news, not so good news, and more good news.

Good news: After almost 3 hours of searching (no blood because of rain), my Dad found the buck laying near the stream about 200 yards from where he last tracked it last night.

Not so good news: The buck is not the 8 pointer, turns out it is just a big 5, maybe 6 (depending on actual length).

More good news: The 8 is still out there, so hopefully I will get a crack at him.

My Dad is not computer savvy whatsoever, but of course took pics. So I will get my hands on the pics on Wed night or Thursday and will of course post them. I am interested to see if this buck is the 5pt we've had pics of all summer or not. My Dad is 100% sure it is not the same 5pt that he missed on opening day of Xbow.

My Dad has a long day ahead of him dragging this buck out of the woods. He already got it back across the stream but probably has another couple of hours of dragging left to do. I'm just pumped he found it.

• Like 3