I never gave bow hunting the respect it deserves....

ApexerER

This is my second year bow hunting after more than 20 years of rifle hunting. I never gave bow hunting the respect it deserved. I really thought I would have at least gotten a doe by now. Last year for whatever reason I didn't see a lot of deer. I blew it with a 6 pointer by waiting too long to retrieve my bow off the bow hook and getting stuck in a stare down but that was my only opportunity. This year I have seen deer on every sit. I usually can only get out on Sunday morning so I don't have a lot of time in the woods but my time has been productive. I have drawn my bow back 4 different times. There is just never a perfect time to shoot. The deer are at the wrong angle, there are saplings in the way. They don't come in close enough and change direction at the last minute. All of the deer I have seen I could have easily blasted with the rifle. This bow hunting is extremely challenging and I am hooked. When I do connect it will be a very meaningful trophy to me even if it is the little spike that wouldn't give me a good angle yesterday morning. I never gave you all enough credit. Might have to leave the rifle at home when the season opens. I am dying to put one on the ground with the bow.....

• Like 9

I wish I would have taken up bow hunting a long time ago. Have been a hunter since 16 or 17, I'm now 48.

The experience and EXTRA time I have had hunting over the last 3 years has been amazing, helped by the fact that the very 1st time in the stand with my bow, I was able to shoot a deer ( the one in my avatar).

This year I've been out every weekend since it started. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good for you being patient, it's kind of like fly fishing. I started bow only hunting 25 years ago and never looked back, ate tag soup a year or two here and there but last 18 years I have gotten deer, last 10 years I have shot four or more per year. Keep at it, find a good spot and go often. It is the most fun I have all year.

Edited by nycredneck

I am 73 and have for the life of me been a bow hunter (53 years) and gun hunter (55 years ). I found early in my process of learning to hunt with the bow it sure was not the same as with a gun. I have to say I still keep on learning as I now no longer am able to tree stand hunt. Since I changed over to on the ground, I sure do not take a doe or buck some years. But for bow hunting I use a compound bow, I think the real bow  hunters are the people that use a long bow or recurve bow. I shoot them in the off season at target but do not feel I am good enough to hunt with them. The bow has given me a sport for my life that I still enjoy just shooting a few arrows most days in the spring, summer and fall. But with all this snow I will think of hunts past and snjoy Bird day, football and a warm fire.

The way I see it is: "one is wait and hope and the other is point and click"

If I had to give up one for the pure sport and not to put food on the table, I would give up the gun. I do enjoy them both and like others have said, by the time gun season comes around I am ready for the change.

If you enjoy bow hunting so much get into handgun hunting. I live to bow hunt and I did it exclusively for a year. I don't know why but I felt very uncomfortable in the woods with a bow while other hunters had a gun. I have many handguns but I choose my Glock20 over the magnums because I have a self imposed 40yd range. This is my 4th year and still no buck. A handgun is not a bow but with my glock I am just as limited and man does is add a new challenge! Stick with the bow and I guarantee when it happens and you connect it will all be worth it just don't rush it and be patient.

I love bow hunting. This is my second year and I love it way more then gun. This was a hard bow season hunted almost every single weekend and didn't see many deer. Actually I saw more deer this opening weekend then all of bow season. I also harvested a doe at 20 yards with my rifle was a perfect 20 yard shot.

I must agree, it is most definitely more challenging and addictive at the same time. Personally I got the monkey off my back with a bow two years ago bur each year I'm looking forward to bow season... Keep at it and it will happen...

So far, bow hunting is a lot less of a carnival atmosphere. It allows one to actually pattern deer rather than patterning hunters. I say "so far" because every year brings the two styles of hunting closer and closer together. Those of us that hunt state land are generally finding things more and more crowded every year. Some of that is due to the non-hunting uses of state land, and some is due to the increasing success rates due to equipment changes.

Bow hunting is not better or worse... just different depending on where when and how you hunt... it can be more challenging because shots generally have to be much closer and the angle just right compared to gun hunting... all hunting if done correctly deserves respect... the whitetail is a cagey animal and way better in it's element than most hunters... bow hunting has caught on quite well in the last 30-40 years mainly because it added more time in the woods and extra deer to the deer hunting season... also because it allows hunters a fighting chance on smaller pieces of property in suburbia that may not be suitable for gun hunting... I always enjoy it as a good time to scout out what kind of deer are in the area... also nice seeing what deer do naturally when out of range if not scared for their life from be pounded by the pressure of gun hunters.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...