Rut Report Thread

Canis Latrans

I can't believe there is no thread like this.

Please could you post what area you are in and what you are seeing in the woods in a simple concise format?

Area: Capital Region

Phase: Pre-rut?

Activity: Lot of deer on side of roads at night, including bucks.  Seeing a few scrapes and rubs. Saw a small buck checking a scrape last night at around 4. Haven't seen any chasing or seeking activity.

Thanks guys I think this is something that could help everyone!

• Like 3

Hi Coyote,  Good idea!  I've hunted two areas this week in 5H and 7J.  Here are my results:

Hunted the Central Adirondacks Last  Week Thursday and Friday last week and CNY this Monday, I will report on both

Area:   5H, Indian Lake,  I covered about 4 miles a day still hunting, one day on a mountain, one day along and in a swamp.  Saw deer each day including one small buck but surprisingly  did not see any scrapes or rubs or chasing activity.   Zero beechnuts on the hardwood ridges by the way.

AREA;  Area 7J, Southern Onondaga County.  Lots of rubs but few scrapes.  Definitely some chasing activity.  Shot a decent buck Monday that was chasing a doe. 

8M Livingston Co.

Lots of scrapes and 1.5 yr bucks checking them during  the day. I have not seen any chasing yet, or heard a grunt. All the does I have seen still have fawns with them. They don't have far to travel to find acorns and are feeding heavily on them. Over the next valley could be another story all together so take it for what it's worth.

• Like 1

Had a doe come out at 8:30 a.m Saturday in 9P Birdsall state land, had a 2 1/2 yr old 8 pt crash out of the woods after her. Watched him chase her for about 5 minutes in the pines until they went out of sight.

Had a very tall 3 1/2 8 pt chasing a doe in 8h Lima yesterday. They hardly came out of the thicket, couldn't snap a pic. Needless to say I moved my climber about 50 yards over !

The bigger bucks seem to just be cruising between doe bedding areas as of Monday,here in 4H. Had group of five does go by and no buck following. The single does are being followed by the smaller bucks or are by themselves. Could be something totally different happening two miles down the road though. Should be full on chasing in my neck of the woods this weekend,and I have four days to get it done with the crossbow! Also very few rubs and scrapes seen for the amount of bucks sighted. But I try to get in and out were the deer don't travel as much,and just ease into my spots.

I'm heading to Letchworth this weekend, hope things pick up. 6F i've found scrapes and rubs, seeing most my sign in the ferns!

8M Livingston Co.

Lots of scrapes and 1.5 yr bucks checking them during  the day. I have not seen any chasing yet, or heard a grunt. All the does I have seen still have fawns with them. They don't have far to travel to find acorns and are feeding heavily on them. Over the next valley could be another story all together so take it for what it's worth.

Area: 4C

Rut phase: pre-rut/seeking

I hunted Tuesday night in a spot over in 4C. Really warm night, not much moving. I found a few scrapes however no rubs. We have been seeing a couple of spike horns and a fork horn with decent main beam length. No chasing yet. One spike came in on a doe bleat and checked a mock scrape then quickly left nose to the ground. Rut shouldn't be too far off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7H - Fresh scrape line this past weekend. Monday night it was refreshed. Some rubs showing up. Hunting buddy pushed a doe tues early AM. Few minutes later buck appeared and followed the direction of the doe. He grunted it, no response. No shot on either, due to distance and not really light.

Driving home, lower 7h/7j tuesday dark 630ish - Went by a field saw eyes. Put the headlights on and saw at least 7 deer laying in the field. A very good sized buck stood up, very proud, strong. I counted easily 8 points, likely a 10. Within cross bow range from the side of the road.  I found it an odd place for all the deer to lay down. Highly exposed.

Pre rut? Early rut? Not sure. Looks like its starting though.

I found 30+ rubs on a 200 yard long trail in 4J

Private land or the Albany Pine bush? Only hit areas 1,2,3 and 4 near Crossgates. I am mainly hitting 9 8, and 10. Haven't see near that amount of sign in any of them. ( near the tracks I have seen a few deer. and in 4. I know a few people hunting the permit only on the Rensselaer side area are seeing more though.

Went blind into the Charleston State Forest, have to be careful as small game in on, and in that area you hear gun shots all day long. AM on Monday I saw deer walking the brushline away from one of the ponds into a bedding area. Haven't been out that way for evening.

Private land or the Albany Pine bush? Only hit areas 1,2,3 and 4 near Crossgates. I am mainly hitting 9 8, and 10. Haven't see near that amount of sign in any of them. ( near the tracks I have seen a few deer. and in 4. I know a few people hunting the permit only on the Rensselaer side area are seeing more though.

Went blind into the Charleston State Forest, have to be careful as small game in on, and in that area you hear gun shots all day long. AM on Monday I saw deer walking the brushline away from one of the ponds into a bedding area. Haven't been out that way for evening.