First Buck with Rifle, 2 shots 4 holes?

mattman77

Hey guys,

I have hunted as much as possible the last few weeks, not seeing any bucks in region 6.  I bought a used ruger mark2 lh 30-06 over the summer and got permission to go further back into the swamp by my place yesterday, the 11th.  I got into my spot a little before 7.  I had a doe and fawn come in a few minutes after sitting and they were acting very nervous.  A few minutes later, a nice 8 came in rubbing and grunting.  He came in at about 30 yards walking, with some light brush (a few small sapplings) in between him and I.  I found an opening and shot.  He walked like nothing happened.  I found another opening about 40 yards out, shot again.  He still kept walking away, nose up in the air.  He got to about 50 yards and the tail started wagging, I then saw him go down.  Upon closer inspection, I noticed 4 entry holes very close together with one exit in the opposite side.  I am guessing that one of the shots hit a twig or something and broke apart before hitting him.  It was my first time hunting with a rifle and I was actually not very impressed with what happened, I grew up in 8g (shotgun).  I was using federal premium 30-06 180gr (blue box).  Have any  of you guys seen this before?  Should I switch to a different round? 

Thanks, Matt

Sounds like one for the Warren Commission.

I did hit a corn feeder leg one time (in Texas, where it's legal to bait) with a 30-06 round. Found 2 holes in the deer, not sure if the bullet split or if a piece of the tripod hit him. But, hard to believe a twig would cause a 180 grain slug to fragment.

post-264-0-44016100-1415807465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Uncle Nicky

In order for a 180 grain .30 cal. bullet to break up it would have to hit something more sustantial than a twig or small branch.

Examing the hide after skinning should tell the story. Nice round holes indicate an intact bullet hitting nose first..Jagged cuts or oblong holes would indicate fragentation or deflection before striking the deer.

Two bullets exiting the same hole ?  Certainly possible if the entry wounds were that close together.

I can't see the bullet splitting pretty much at all. And even if one bullet split that would only be 3 holes since you said he moved out a bit more before you shot again.

And I really don't know how you could hit a deer with a 30-06 and have it walk off lol thats nuts. I've shot a few doe with a 30-06 and it blew out the back side like crazy, dropped were they stood every time. Even the 30-30 drops em in place like clockwork.

i also think it's a little odd he didn't spook much from the gun shot.

I shot at a doe 7-8 years ago in some really thick brush with a 12 gauge , open sights, at 30-40 yards. The first shot hit a tree and she stood there, the second shot hit a big limb and she continued to stand there, the final shot hit her behind the shoulder and she walked about 10 yards and fell over. I was shocked.

I shot at a doe 7-8 years ago in some really thick brush with a 12 gauge , open sights, at 30-40 yards. The first shot hit a tree and she stood there, the second shot hit a big limb and she continued to stand there, the final shot hit her behind the shoulder and she walked about 10 yards and fell over. I was shocked.

I missed an 8 once and he went 5 yards and I hit him the second time. It is odd but happens.

180 gr 30-06 is way too for a little deer. 150 gr or downsize the rifle.

Idk man. I shot a buck Thursday with a 30-30 150 grain. Didn't pass threw and I ended up taking another shot to get the job done. First time I saw first hand that a 180 grain bullet would have felt just right.

On another note try bow hunting and loosing a deer or two you will never want a underpowered weapon for anything again.

Idk man. I shot a buck Thursday with a 30-30 150 grain. Didn't pass threw and I ended up taking another shot to get the job done. First time I saw first hand that a 180 grain bullet would have felt just right.

On another note try bow hunting and loosing a deer or two you will never want a underpowered weapon for anything again.

Lighter bullets travel faster.