Wife wants to bear hunt ...

Al Bundy

Anyone have advice or a place to go or want to mentor an up and coming female bear hunter?? She wants to go, but I have never hunted bears and do not have the knowledge to pass to her.  She handles a firearm very well and has shown me she is a good, safe huntress.

It is very hard to specifically (legally) hunt bear in NY state.  Most bears are shot as targets of opportunity while people are deer hunting.  With no baiting, and being limited to 1.5 oz of attractant, unless you know there is a bear revisiting the same area (like a dump or one that is constantly hitting garbage cans), your odds of going out and coming back with one are very slim.

• Like 2

If you want to make her day, make a vacation out of it and take the two of you on a guided bear hunt. I have been up to Lindsays outfitters in New Brunswick 5x,(4 for five, with multiple opportunities each year, passing on  shooting one year) with my wife going along once as a nonhunter. You  are fed, driven to your site, great chance to see multiple bears for a reasonable price. They are a very family oriented camp.  We combined it with another week spent driving through Nova Scotia...we are planning on doing it all over again.

I would love to shoot a NY bear myself, but they are really a target of opportunity for the most part, with close to zero chance of an encounter where I hunt.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

Anyone have advice or a place to go or want to mentor an up and coming female bear hunter?? She wants to go, but I have never hunted bears and do not have the knowledge to pass to her. She handles a firearm very well and has shown me she is a good, safe huntress.

Hey bud, if you have access to some farms walk the perimeter of the cornfields. If you find bear droppings or puke you obviously have one in the area. Look for areas where they've knocked the corn down. They're crazy destructive. Set near the corn, preferably looking parallel to where he's entering the field n do the farmer a favor n shoot him.

Spots to check in the woods would be mast trees, up north check the beech. They'll break branches n stack em like nests.

Brushy areas, look for berries.

All those foods tend to concentrate them in an area.

You're next bet if you're in Orange County or somewhere near Sussex NJ is take a ride down n shoot one of them. They're everywhere n a nuisance

• Like 1

Lol...bear droppings smell like pig shite...Start asking around in the areas you hunt about sighting s. The locals...got to love the UPS guy...Fedx...mail carriers. I also love the small dinners in areas...strike up a conversation after listening a while...they are a treasure trove of information.