Worst luck ever!!

Peter Griffin

are people really that obsessed with taking a buck that they would shoot one in an area that is more than likely going to destroy a large amount of meat?

Yeah Really..and by the sounds of it some do it over and over on purpose. I know it will kill them but i also know that in the heat of the moment a bullet can hit an inch or three off target and blow a deers arse apart and never see that deer again. I am sure we would not hear about those shots though.

Seriously? Check yourself. You sound pretty arrogant. The guy is obviously new, and maybe doesnt have someone to teach him like many of us were fortunate enough to have. We were all novices & most of us have made some stupid mistakes, even you I bet. Don't forget where you came from. Maybe try to offer advice instead of trying to humiliate someone, possibly ruining the sport for them. I hope someone is there to ridicule you the next time you mess up.

They teach you shot selection in hunters education.  I remember them saying  NO HEAD SHOTS,  NO BUTT SHOTS.   It's even on the test.  How the hell did you guys pass the test, and still take butt shots ???????????????

• Like 2

Jjb4900 let's say you lose 5 pounds of the 40 pounds of meat from a less than ideal shot that's 35 more pounds of meat than I would have had. As for me I will never take a les than ideal shot on a doe because I know I will have many more chances however I only shoot mature bucks and may only see 1 buck I want to kill all year. If I see a buck I want and he presents me with a killing shot I take it.

Jjb4900 let's say you lose 5 pounds of the 40 pounds of meat from a less than ideal shot that's 35 more pounds of meat than I would have had. As for me I will never take a les than ideal shot on a doe because I know I will have many more chances however I only shoot mature bucks and may only see 1 buck I want to kill all year. If I see a buck I want and he presents me with a killing shot I take it.

Lets say you pull the shot one way or the other and blow half the ham off that great buck with that big magnum  and he runs off to infect and die a nasty death. That 5lbs of meat would not matter much then huh?

That shot is the most unethical shot there is and for anyone to take that shot over and over and say they have not blown the ass off a deer and lost it i call..BullShit!

• Like 1

My .02 is alot of shot section is done in heat of moment especially from still hunting or just plain old walking around. Sometimes you jump one and if on land you are familiar (knowing backstop and beyond) with it may not even process that it may be less than ideal shot. We have all have buck fever I still get deer fever could be the smallest deer ever and still makes me tick it may walk but still excited. More about learning from bad shots than criticizing taking them as I'm sure we have all been there done that.

I don't doubt for one second, that there are those who would should a buck that is standing broadside and motionless, straight through the hips, just to put it down if that is the only shot presented............no doubt at all.

Edited by jjb4900

My .02 is alot of shot section is done in heat of moment especially from still hunting or just plain old walking around. Sometimes you jump one and if on land you are familiar (knowing backstop and beyond) with it may not even process that it may be less than ideal shot. We have all have buck fever I still get deer fever could be the smallest deer ever and still makes me tick it may walk but still excited. More about learning from bad shots than criticizing taking them as I'm sure we have all been there done that.

I agree but do you take those bad shots over and over again and see no problem with that or do you learn from them and wait the next time for an ethical killing shot with less chance of failure?

• Like 1

however I only shoot mature bucks and may only see 1 buck I want to kill all year. If I see a buck I want and he presents me with a killing shot I take it.

Lets say you pull the shot one way or the other and blow half the ham off that great buck with that big magnum and he runs off to infect and die a nasty death. That 5lbs of meat would not matter much then huh?

That was obvious in the response...it was not about the DEER it was about the RACK it carries... But give him credit for at least saying to not do this with a small caliber rifle..... Thank heavens for small favors...

I,often say the same thing,I'll have one chance a year at a great buck.

This year was in bow,would have been my biggest buck,ever. 15 yards broadside had no idea I was there either. But to many little,branches in the way.oh I looked hard for a window I was happy with. He walked off I let the bow down,I'm sure many would have left 'er rip ,I could not .

As I always do jest before getting down I shot a field point for practice,this day I picked a spot he stood ,hit the leaf on the ground I picked, but a leaf is not a deer i have no regrets passing that shot on the deer.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

I don't doubt for one second, that there are those who would should a buck that is standing broadside and motionless, straight through the hips, just to put it down if that is the only shot presented............no doubt at all.

And then they will post on here about their lost deer and terrible day and expect to hear our sympathies.  There should be respect for the animal and only good shots should be taken

Edited by gastrodoc
  • Like 2

Four season-although I own a few magnums I have never shot a deer with one or even carried one deer hunting so I don't know where you are going with "let's say you pull the shot one way or the other and blow half the ham off that great buck with that big magnum" I hunt the ADKS I have a tent that is a 4 mile hike from the road and I almost always still hunt with snow if I jump a buck I know my 35whelen with a 220 grain bonded bullet will go end for end of a deer and quickly kill a deer. You can pull any shot and wound a deer.

Four season-although I own a few magnums I have never shot a deer with one or even carried one deer hunting so I don't know where you are going with "let's say you pull the shot one way or the other and blow half the ham off that great buck with that big magnum" I hunt the ADKS I have a tent that is a 4 mile hike from the road and I almost always still hunt with snow if I jump a buck I know my 35whelen with a 220 grain bonded bullet will go end for end of a deer and quickly kill a deer. You can pull any shot and wound a deer.

Yup i am sure it will..if you get lucky enough to hit that 3 inch circle..How many have you wounded and lost over the years doing these stupid shots at running deer that you jump while still hunting? Or do you hunt the deer that jump out of bed and lift their tail so you can throw a 220grain stiff one up their arse?  

I dont care what you say..That shot is more than tough on a standing deer and you say you do it to them while still hunting and jumping them?  Would love to see a video of your shooting at a moving target of the likes of that sometime to see the % of hits in that 3 inch circle.

now I would think that shot placement and shooting safety are things that would be fresh on the minds of new hunters and that in turn would make them take less risky shots.........

Yea I'm sure it is......until a deer shows up then excitement builds and could cause poor decisions....no excuse for what's beyond the target tho deer fever or not that is the single most important thing we all need to know...
  • Like 1

I took a shot at a deer running away from me once and only once. That was because the animal had already been wounded by someone else. I hit the femur with a 130 grain Barnes. You would have thought the femur was made of porcelain. It shattered into a thousand pieces. Ruined the hindquarter but the wounded deer was down. My policy is, never take a butt shot, however, what can you do to a wounded deer?

didn't read all 3 pages, but to be clear.

You shot a buck, pretty sure he died. Exhausted the search? Then shot at another one? Had you given up on the 1st one so soon? what if you recovered both?

Did you also shoot this buck on a ridge having no idea what or who was behind it?

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

didn't read all 3 pages, but to be clear.

You shot a buck, pretty sure he died. Exhausted the search? Then shot at another one? Had you given up on the 1st one so soon? what if you recovered both?

Did you also shoot this buck on a ridge having no idea what or who was behind it?

You about covered it.

They teach you shot selection in hunters education.  I remember them saying  NO HEAD SHOTS,  NO BUTT SHOTS.   It's even on the test.  How the hell did you guys pass the test, and still take butt shots ???????????????

Where was I defending the shots he took? I agree that they were bad choices. All I said is that the guy is new, and while he may have made some poor decisions, nothing is accomplished by belittling and scolding him. Of course nobody should take shots like that. I have no problem with some constructive criticism, but the "holier than thou" attitude often diplayed on this site is ridiculous.

• Like 3

Seriously? Check yourself. You sound pretty arrogant. The guy is obviously new, and maybe doesnt have someone to teach him like many of us were fortunate enough to have. We were all novices & most of us have made some stupid mistakes, even you I bet. Don't forget where you came from. Maybe try to offer advice instead of trying to humiliate someone, possibly ruining the sport for them. I hope someone is there to ridicule you the next time you mess up.

Hang in there Peter.

Skillet! Thank You!

Its about time we 'As a Group' support rather bash.

Peter! Lesson learned keep hunting!

• Like 2