Single Pin Sight

BBHHC

Never used a single pin, I did have a cross-hair site on a bow once, wasn't fond of it. I like having a green pin for 15, a yellow for 25, and the red for 30. Red meaning no wind, perfect shot, and the top of my comfort zone. My bow is older so it's not as flat as the newer bows. So multi pin works best.

• Like 1

I use a hha w/dial, and really like it. Eliminate s the clutter. I am a hold a little high or low sort of guy anyway.. Most of the deer I shoot, I don't move the pin anyway. I set it at 25 and that works out to 30 or so... I use the sight more for practice at 60-70yds..and the occasional 40 yd shot..

• Like 1

I have always used single pin. If you sight in at 20 yards with a single pin and then walk up and shoot at 10 then back at 30 you will be shocked to see how close you are on both ends. I would guess that more than half of the bowhunters out there should not be cranking at a deer at over 30 yards in a hunting situation anyways. Myself included. 

• Like 4

You would def need to practice to see how your shooting. I have a bowtech insanity shooting around 350 fps and it still drops about a foot or so from 20-40 yards. I never shoot more than 30 yards but wanted to practice just to see if I could use a single pin. For me there's to much range to be comfortable with a single pin

Many of the guys at Suffolk Archers use one pin sights and love them.  I still outshoot most of them with my 5 pin sight, except a few guys.  One of the advantages is a consistently clear sight picture.  NFAA does not allow one sight pins in my division but I debate switching to one anyway.  They work well and many shooters love the accuracy.  If you have issues shooting between pins these sights are pretty awesome.

The only real bad thing about it that i can think of is if your at full draw and the deer decides to suddenly move closer or further away

Deer don't move in 10 yard increments for multi-pin shooters either. 

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

You would def need to practice to see how your shooting. I have a bowtech insanity shooting around 350 fps and it still drops about a foot or so from 20-40 yards. I never shoot more than 30 yards but wanted to practice just to see if I could use a single pin. For me there's to much range to be comfortable with a single pin

350fps?  What do your finished arrow weigh?

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

350fps? What do your finished arrow weigh?

Not sure,300 arrow with 100gr tip,28.5 inches long. And this is just a guess based on you tube videos I've seen and articles I read about my bow. Although I would really like to see what speed it is at. The new arrows and drop away rest make a difference,bow is a bowtech insanity cpx and I think the ibo is like 355 from the ad

Edited by Mustang51js

I shoot HHA single pin with dial. I like the fact that during set up at any point in the bows life, all I have to do is range find 20 yards adjust wheel to hit the mark then make a mark on the blank tape on the dial. Then range find 40 yards and do the same. Compare the results to the page of pre marked tapes that comes with the sight and place the correct sticker on the dial. Now I am sighted in 0-60 yards. When I hunt any of my stands I already know the places to expect deer to come from, plus I always range easily identifiable trees at odd distances so if a deer presents the shot I can take it.

Not sure,300 arrow with 100gr tip,28.5 inches long. And this is just a guess based on you tube videos I've seen and articles I read about my bow. Although I would really like to see what speed it is at. The new arrows and drop away rest make a difference,bow is a bowtech insanity cpx and I think the ibo is like 355 from the ad

I have a feeling you'd be very dissapointed if you did shoot it through a cronograph, most people are!  Don't sweat it though, it'll be plenty fast enough.

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 1

I have a feeling you'd be very dissapointed if you did shoot it through a cronograph, most people are! Don't sweat it though, it'll be plenty fast enough.

yeah I don't worry, it's faster than my old Mathews and goes right through deer that I've shot. I don't shoot deer over 30 yards anyway

I've hunted with my hunter class 3D / backup hunting bow this year.  it's got an HHA with a dial.  seems to work well and I've grown to like that sight.  I've typed a more in depth response for other times this question has been asked.  it's a certain configuration to work for both uses well.

• 3 weeks later...