Havalon Knives

They serve a purpose I guess. Myself I pride myself on being decent on the lost art of knife sharpening .

Here is one of my Syderco Enduras after a light pass across my leg,and it's seen a bit of use since I last touched her up.

post-253-0-15227000-1416762898_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

They serve a purpose I guess. Myself I pride myself on being decent on the lost art of knife sharpening .

Here is one of my Syderco Enduras after a light pass across my leg,and it's seen a bit of use since I last touched her up.

since you shave your legs, you may want to give the Havalon a try.....probably get less razor burn.

• Like 2

I'd love to shave my whole body to tell the truth, even though I have fine blond hair that stuff on my back is a pain sometimes.

As far as shaving in general ,I use a double edge,with a pure silver tip badger brush,along with a quality shaving soap and often a pre shave oil followed by a after shave balm,I prefer Crabtree and Evilyn . HINT with Christmas coming.....

So no razor burn here!

Edited by Larry302

I would buy one if they made the blade thicker.I really dont like the thin thin blades

They have one using heavier duty #22XT blade or 60's, called a Havalon "Bolt" 

Correct you can't "heal" over with even the thicker blade, not made to function that way.

Have a drawer full of standard folders and fixed and they make good give aways now after having several Havalon products.

Edited by Dinsdale

I have two.  Had the mini version for some time now and just got the regular sized one for this season.  Love them.  You just need to use them for what they are...razors.  Don't try cutting through bone or use them as wedges, etc.

Edited by Elmo

I'm sure these Havalon knives work, but there is something NOT right using a knife like that for hunting. Nothing like a good quality traditional hunting knife. I resurrected a 50 year old carbon steel knife that used to be my uncles just last year. Had it in my possession for a long time, but never really gave it a second look. It will hold an edge better than any knife I ever owned. I'd like to see if anyone's Havalon will still be gutting and skinning deer 50 years after purchase. I think I know the answer to that one.

• Like 2

Correct you can't "heal" over with even the thicker blade, not made to function that way.

Have a drawer full of standard folders and fixed and they make good give aways now after having several Havalon products.

Curious, can you store a replacement blade onboard?

I never looked into them as I also like my old fashion stuff!

Edited by Lawdwaz

Got any high end production, mid techs or customs ? I'd pay a fair price.

I have the havalon piranta (I think that's what its called) and use it to both gut and butcher.  Works well although you will go through blades.  One blade is good for a whole deer and then I replace.  I have a CRKT I use to gut too and it works just as well as long as I touch it up after every use.

To me an outdoors mans knife is a loyal companion that he has shared many of life adventures with. It cleaned his game,split kindling for the fire,built shelters ,carved a tent stake, offered a degree of comfort while camped in a remorse area.

Then gets passéd on to the next generation.

I have a knife in my safe that gutted my first buck and many others ,canoed the Yukon river with me,hiked canyons inArizona , rode on my side as rode motorcycles up and down the east coast camping on the side of the rode. It's big heavy, razor sharp and made of natural materials.

Simply holding it brings memories from canoe trips in true wilderness ,gutting bucks,pulling it on two guys with baseball bats and a machete to a name a few, I'm not sure a cheap disposable thingie would have held up, or held such memories .

• Like 1

I have two.  Had the mini version for some time now and just got the regular sized one for this season.  Love them.  You just need to use them for what they are...razors.  Don't try cutting through bone or use them as wedges, etc.

The Havalon Baracuta 6" closed linerlock have a 4 1/2" bone saw blade available. I'm not sure if retailers have them in stores yet or not.

I had the Piranta skinner scrimshaw knives with the laser artwork of a deer, wolf, elk, and grizzly on the handles. They sold out rather quickly. People were collecting them. I find people either like or hate the Havalon knives. Just like anything else, I guess.

I think the nylon belt sheath is a little cheap looking, considering the price. We have been after Havalon to come out with a leather one.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter