how many bear

Red

How many bear have you seen during your life  did you see them on private land state land  or maybe while driving around etc.  have you had and luck harvesting a bear or missed a bear? 

Im 33 yrs old  I've been hunting for 17 years  

2010  i seen my first bear and was able to take it during gun season it was a female estimated at just over 500lb and had a nice white chest patch.   Private land connected to state land

2013 I seen 5 bear opening day of gun season state land

2014 summer time  I seen I big bear in a field while driving down a country rd

2014 bow season opening morning I seen a small cub   state land

2014 bow season second weekend I missed a big bear  state land

I've never seen one in NYS.......in PA I've seen quite a few.

Three years in a row while hunting spring gobblers I saw bear.  A sow with 5 (yup, five) cubs, a sow with two cubs and then the third year a sow with three cubs.  One encounter was kind of hairy but it worked out OK for me......the cubs weren't to thrilled about it.

During buck season in PA back in the 80's I saw bear a few times but of course there was no season. 

I hunted Alaska in 96 or 97 and saw a few but didn't kill one.  The only one I ever killed was in Sask atchewan and was no giant but still very exciting for me.

• Like 1

Holy cow I've heard that bear  hunting in pa is really good and that there are some really big slobs in pa.

the bear that I seen last year was a sow with 4 nice sized cubs it was pretty neat to see them all running together.

My property is in 8P. We have some great land around us that has a lot of cover and food. I have owned the place for 7 years now and have seen about 20+ bear. Most at hunting season (bow). One afternoon sit I saw 6 bear, A giant corn field was being cut and my stand was on the escape route. They love corn and show up at the most odd times.

• Like 1

I saw a bear few years back on my friends place during bow (no shot). Last year opening day of reg. Deer Season on my property i took a 230lb sow. By the DEC statistics that was the only bear harvested in the entire town of Worcester and i believe if i recall correctly 1 of only 6 killed in the entire county of Otsego. That harvest was one i will never forget and will probably never have that opportunity again.

I've seen 5 bear in all in the past twenty years of my "young life".  All the in north country and all on public land. 

The second to last one I saw  walked up on me when I was sitting on a log having eating my lunch. I jumped about 5 feet.  He jumped about 10.  We scared the heck out of each other .  He ran faster than a rabbit!

The last one was in the summer if  2005.   I saw him,  oddly enough,  was when I was portaging my canoe between Little Long Pond and Bear Pond in the St. Regis Canoe area.  Now I know presactly why it is called Bear Pond.

• Like 1

I've seen two separate bears on 3 different occasions right here in Erie county and some tracks in the snow once.

Two or three more Canadian sightings from our family vacations when I was a kid.

All were mid to late spring encounters.

Spotted my first while driving down Emery Rd. He ran out in front of me and stopped in the ditch before disappearing into the park.

Ran into my second bear behind my house a few years ago while hiking for antlers and got some good pics of him.

The next day he found his way down to my neighbors yard where I watched him snacking on the bird feeder.

Never saw one during hunting season, but I think I heard one "huffing" at me from my stand about 4yrs ago.

• Like 1

I have never seen a bear in NY during the open firearms season, but I saw one several years ago the first day of deer season when the bear season opened the first Saturday of deer season.

I saw  a HUGE one in PA a couple of years ago on the opener of deer/bear season, but I did not have a bear tag.

Over the last 20 years I would estimate that I saw seen perhaps a dozen bears in NY under various circumstances..Several while turkey hunting and several from the road.  I have seen at least as many in PA, including at least half a dozen while deer hunting and as many while turkey hunting.

I've only seen 5 bear in the wild ever and all during deer season since I started hunting 25 years ago. 3 were on opening day this year and mom and her cub appeared on the second day as well.

The landowner told us he does not want any of the bear shot and we have complied. Although it would be cool to have a rug and a memory of the hunt, I really have no inkling to shoot a bear. Believe me, if I felt threatened, I wouldn't hesitate, but I have been sure to let them know I am there. I shot a few videos with my phone and they are in my journal in the hunting journal threads.

I have seen more than a dozen during non-hunting seasons, 4 during bow season and 3 during gun season.over last 5 years. i now have 2 denned on my property about 2/3 of a mile apart. one is a 2 year old or so maybe 150-180 lbs and is denned under a massive multiflora rose bush, the other is an older bear around 300 lbs or so and is under a tree top covered in vines and roses on a side hill. I love to track them in the snow on warm days when they come out to feed a bit. most recently this past weekend of gun. the smaller bear was 40 yards or so away feeding on apples.

• Like 1