Holy Pre-Turkey Day Meal Convo.......

DirtTime

Wasn't sure if this one was general chat or general hunting chat..Seeing it's about hunting, I decided to post it here.

So, we are at my g/f's parents for dinner. The topic of hunting comes up....WOW! It was a theater of pain. I laughed, I almost cried, and I got pi$$d.

I guess being around here has changed how I look at hunting a bit. In a good way, I think.

The g/f's mom tells me about a guy who's wife visits her craft store. He went to AK to kill a trophy Grizzly. He did.

The word "trophy" sends my g/f and another friend of her parents into a debate. The g/f states she doesn't think it right to kill an animal just to get the rack, or the whole animal mounted, you only kill what you plan to eat! Her mom leaves the room, and her dad says many of the guys he works with that hunt only kill bucks with big racks. Fellow members, it was like a thread straight outta here ( j/k ). Opinions were flying, voices were getting loud.

Then my g/f's parents friend says he's never hunted. AUFKM? Really?

I jumped in. I said while I agree that a hunter should only kill what they eat, the man that shot that Griz may have been on a once in a lifetime hunt, so he wasn't really wrong. As far as the rack thing, some folks hunt that way, and as long as they aren't cutting off the head and leaving the body to rot, that is their right as hunters, and hopefully they donate the rest. Then I set the never hunted dude right on who hunters really are what we stand for. After a half hour, he says he didn't know about how much real hunters put in to the sport over all. He left ( not because of the convo, because he was not having dinner with us ). I hope I got through to him.

My g/f says on the ride home she had never seen me tell anyone "how it is" when talking about hunting, and she was shocked that I stayed calm and just let the facts speak for themselves. My reply was this, which is going in my siggy as soon as I finish this post:

"Stupidity is a plague! Knowledge is the damn cure!" ( only I didn't sad damn........... )

• Like 2

Glade you spoke your mind.  I have big issues with people against hunting and can not simply sit by and say nothing.  The 1,000 or so people I work with must understand this because even though I wear my camo hat every day NO ONE confronts me.  The few who are will to discuss hunting never debate the facts with me about the reality and sustainability of hunting. 

Good for you!!!