Pistol Permits Catskills region

Hi, I am finally moving up to the Catskill region from the island.  I've had property up here in Delaware county for the past decade but had to sell due to taxes and mortage.  I am looking for a new property and the ability to maintain a pistol permit is a major factor on where I go.

I have a LI pistol permit and am getting conflicting reports of Pistol Permits in Delaware, Otsego and Chenago counties.

I understand Delaware county is fairly straightforward.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get a pistol permit in otsego or especially chenago county?

According to the state police, I can transfer my LI permit to the new county but would need to apply for a new county permit before the expiration on my current LI (5yr) permit.

Anyone who has information and recently transferring their permits or with RECENT experience getting a permit in Del., Otsego or chenago county would help greatly.  (How you did it decades ago may be interesting but wouldn't help me now).

Thanks,

Jaeger

You have to apply for a permit in the county you will move to , as the State police said.I did in Delaware county.

That county police takes your finger prints.You have to get people that live in the count to fill out a reference form.Then they transfer the info from your un expired L.I. permit.

Edited by OMG

You have to apply for a permit in the county you will move to , as the State police said.

That county police takes your finger prints.Then they transfer  your un expired L.I. permit.

Thanks, I understand that and the process.

My question was more directed to how hard/difficult it is to get a permit in Delaware, Otsego and Chennago Counties.  Judges issue the permits in those counties and policies vary.

My LI permit was issued by the sherrif's dept. (eastern LI) so I did not have to deal with an individual Judge with his or her policies/preferences.  

I understand the Judge in Schoarie county is very strict.

I don't understand... I live in dutchess county. My pistol permit is good in the entire state with the exception of the the city. Why is yours only good for 5 years? Also if you already have a valid permit than the county your moving to should just change the info. Am I wrong to think a NYS pistol permit is just that a NYS permit. I can see if it was only a county permit but it's not...

I don't understand... I live in dutchess county. My pistol permit is good in the entire state with the exception of the the city. Why is yours only good for 5 years? Also if you already have a valid permit than the county your moving to should just change the info. Am I wrong to think a NYS pistol permit is just that a NYS permit. I can see if it was only a county permit but it's not...

Each county and NYC have different lengths/ terms for their permits, 3yrs, 5yrs, life/good until revoked

Yes, it is a State permit good/valid throughout the entire state (Except NYC).  But when you move permanently, change your residence from one county to another you need to reapply to that county you are moving to.  They will honor your old permit for its lifespan.

In my case, I have a permit good for 5 year increments, it gets renewed each 5 years.

State law allows me to take it throughout the state (except NYC).  But state law also requires that the permit you have be issued by your permanent place of residence/county.

Please excuse, but I am an attorney so I am up on the pistol permit laws.

My question was simply to those who obtained pistol permits recently in Delaware, Otsego or Chennago county and the local judges (who issue the permits) biases/policies.

I understand each of you know the rules in your own county.  The permits are good throughout the state  (except NYC).

But one Must have their pistol permit issued by the county that is, or will be, their permanent place of residence.

You have a NYS permit. You went through the process that is recommended by NYS. You just need to change the info.

That is incorrect.  One needs to reapply to the county that is the new  permanent place of residence when moving from one county to another.

That is incorrect.  One needs to reapply to the county that is the new  permanent place of residence when moving from one county to another.

X2 look at your permit it has State of New York and below that the county you applied for it.

When I moved , I went to the local count office ( Delaware ) for the pistol permit with all of my L.I. paper work They took down or copied that info and gave me the proper forms to fill out with reference paperwork and sent me to the local police station and they took my finger prints.A week or 2 later the called me up to take a picture , stapled it to the permit signed by the local judge and took my pistol serial numbers and put that on the permit and handed it to me. Now it might take a day or 2 longer because they are laminated. 

When is comes to handguns, NY state is horrible, and unconstitutional IMHO.  

The entire pistol permit system is in fact handgun registration.  That's why they want to know exactly where in NY state you live, and exactly what handguns you have, at all times.  If they ever pass a handgun ban in NY state, they will know exactly who has them, how many you have, and where you live.  You will have no choice but to comply.  

They are trying to get the same type of info on all black rifle owners through the SAFE Act, for the same reason.

One cannot look at these gun registration systems and deny the end goal is eventual confiscation.  Disarmament is like plucking a bird.  Take one feather a day and the bird will not notice, until one day IT FINDS IT CAN NO LONGER FLY.

These are my observations and opinions.  You may disagree, but I believe the best thing a NY gun owner can do to protect his firearm rights, is unfortunately, move out of the state.

I just did this in Chenango county in the spring. The county clerk office in Norwich is where you have your records sent to from you current county. They will notify you to come in and issue their permit based on your old one and you have the remainder of your old permit to apply. You need to take a basic course from a list of approved instructors. The sheriff dept offers this also. You can take an advanced course after this to get full Cary. The people I have dealt with were beyond nice and friendly. The only advice I can give you is to call first they only deal with things on an appointment basis in office but can give you the exact address to give your current police dept. If you go to Chenango you can contact me and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck.

I didn't know . I looked at mine and noticed the county listed.. It doesn't make sense to me that every county has different laws. I remember hearing in Westchester they were telling people they couldn't bring the pistol to NYC, Albany and Buffalo. I never heard that one before but I heard the lady tell someone that when they picked up thier permit. They should have a NYS pistol permit valid everywhere in NYS issued By NYS. Well maybe not now this state sucks when it comes to gun laws.. I am glad I got mine when I did.

X2 look at your permit it has State of New York and below that the county you applied for it.

When I moved , I went to the local count office ( Delaware ) for the pistol permit with all of my L.I. paper work They took down or copied that info and gave me the proper forms to fill out with reference paperwork and sent me to the local police station and they took my finger prints.A week or 2 later the called me up to take a picture , stapled it to the permit signed by the local judge and took my pistol serial numbers and put that on the permit and handed it to me. Now it might take a day or 2 longer because they are laminated. 

OMG, 

Thank you, that is exactly what I meant. Thanks for the information.

I'll have to take my LI permit to the Delaware county clerk and fill out their paperwork same as you did, get fingerprinted (again!, did it for LI) and a new picture.  What you had to do is what I meant by "reapply in the new county of residence".

By the way, how long ago was it you changed it to Delaware county?

• Like 1

Call the county clerk in your new county of residence for information. They're supposed to know what they're doing and be familiar with the intricacies of the local bureaucracy.

My permit was issued 35 years ago in Wayne county, (haven't lived there since) and every other place I've lived since then I've been instructed to file a form for change of address and nothing more. Stricter rules are no doubt in effect the closer you get to NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

In Nassau County on Long Island to renew your pistol permit it costs $200 for 5 years. What a rip off.

• 5 years later...
I have a second home in Delaware County. This is where I want to keep a pistol. My primary residence is NYC. I do not want a pistol there. Where do I apply for the permit? 
You'd have to apply in Delaware County, but, if it isn't your primary residence you may have complications but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk