NJ is getting to be a big bear mecca! 700lbs on 12/8/14

Mr VJP

Why so? Wouldn't a bear's skull be the same size if they are the same weight?

I don't believe so. I think there are record books bears based on skull that are in the 200lb range. Similar to mt lions. You can shoot a 130lb record book lion in New Mexico or a 180lb record book lion in Alberta. The weight depends on the climate, food, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJ is the place to go for big bear these days. The cost of the bear permit is only $2 too!

http://www.nj.com/sussex-county/index.ssf/2014/12/hunter_kills_bear_weighing_nearly_700_pounds_during_first_day_of_nj_bear_hunt.html

Permit may be $2 but you still need license for $135. So far 143 bears have been taken in 2 days. There's talks for next year to make an earlier season and possibly a bow season. If they are serious about culling the numbers they have to open season earlier before the bears start to den up.

At $137 total cost, bear hunting in NJ is pretty cheap.  Considering you don't have to travel far and spend a ton of cash for gas, the non-resident license fee is not out of reach.  I think $135 is high for NJ though.

I don't think the bears den up in NJ in early December.  Especially in the zones that are at a lower elevation and not as cold.  There are plenty of them out and about, especially on the warmer days.  It does seem to be better bear hunting from noon to sunset on the cold days though.

I don't believe so. I think there are record books bears based on skull that are in the 200lb range. Similar to mt lions. You can shoot a 130lb record book lion in New Mexico or a 180lb record book lion in Alberta. The weight depends on the climate, food, etc.

Same reason you can shoot 170" whitetail in texas that weighs 120lbs, and a 100" basket 8 up here that pushes 200 correct?

Edited by Twax10
  • Like 2

At $137 total cost, bear hunting in NJ is pretty cheap. Considering you don't have to travel far and spend a ton of cash for gas, the non-resident license fee is not out of reach. I think $135 is high for NJ though.

I don't think the bears den up in NJ in early December. Especially in the zones that are at a lower elevation and not as cold. There are plenty of them out and about, especially on the warmer days. It does seem to be better bear hunting from noon to sunset on the cold days though.

There's still a decent amount out, but on the nj hunting forum people had 5-6 bears at a site on camera up until a week ago,then they are gone. The whole state isn't open for bear either, just a few northwest counties. Supposedly there's a lot of people from out of state that come to nj for bear for the size of bears. Guys were even talking about the guys from duck dynasty come for bear. Baiting is legal in nj so it does make it a little easier but from what I hear most of the bears taste like garbage