Landtracdeerhunter's " Shed The Season 2015 "

We'll since hunting season is coming to a close, I been in search of antler gold for a while now.  I been seeing some promising signs of finding some so,  I thought I would try this journal stuff. Their is one buck in the area, that I have 2 seasons of shed antler history with. I am quite excited with finding his 3rd set, knowing he has got through this season. ( With a little help from me, LOL). Gives me that extra jump start.

Last year was the first time, I found 10 antlers in one season. I put high hopes in finding more this year. I wish any other antlers seekers success in their quest. Good Luck and happy finding!

• Like 2

I got out this afternoon with some light snow falling. Some bluebirds flying branch to branch floundering my arrival.  It was very nice to visit some spots that I haven't seen since April. I have had a certain buck, that I had 3 encounters with during the 2013 season. Two in archery; the last,  the opening afternoon of firearms season which had me at a head on stare down that lasted  at least 45 seconds. Staring him in the scope as he, staring up at me in the stand. He turned broadside, and I sent lead his way.  No blood sign anywhere. We searched hours, day, weeks, months for this deer in hopes of a recovery, but to no avail. I was sick to my stomach. Many emotions going through me during the rest of the season.

Well today, I found him.  Thank you God!

post-888-0-58332300-1418851179_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-86350700-1418851206_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-84351000-1418851246_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-71685300-1418851279_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Landtrac,  I'm real sorry you didn't find him sooner.  You did your best and did all you could do.  All you ever can do is the best you can do.  But good you eventually found him.  He was a great buck that touched your life.  I'm sure you will honor him.  Long live the spirit of that mighty whitetail!  

• Like 2

Great hike for you today!

Awesome that you were finally able to catch up to that bucks remains. You can learn so much by where those old bone piles turn up especially in this case where you know what lead up to his demise, and him going unrecovered for so long. Looks like he's still in great shape.

Nice score on the first antler of the year as well! Definitely a super "opening day" haul- congrats!

• Like 1

How far from where you shot? Any chance someone else shot him too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He laid facing away from the stand several hundred yards away. No second guessing here, One hundred percent sure!

Now the question being; do I get a shoulder mount made up? He scored 141 4/8".

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1

Save a cape from another big deer (can be a future buck) or look around for one and have a shoulder mount made would be my recommendation.   I just caped out one of the bucks I shot early in the season this  year that had big head neck and shoulder measurements and am thinking of using it mount bigger deer I shot a few years ago when I didn't save the cape. 

Good idea!  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Great hike for you today!

Awesome that you were finally able to catch up to that bucks remains. You can learn so much by where those old bone piles turn up especially in this case where you know what lead up to his demise, and him going unrecovered for so long. Looks like he's still in great shape.

Nice score on the first antler of the year as well! Definitely a super "opening day" haul- congrats!

His antlers had no chew, what so ever. I 'm still in shock, that I recovered him!

Wooly, thank you so much for your journal posts and getting me started in shed hunting again. Your da man!

• Like 1

i would mount it you took it what does it matter if you just found it or if coyotes found it first and you only got the antlers

To each his own but I would never mount a buck with a different bucks hide. It's weird to me. No different than shooting a coyote but mounting it with a different yotes hide, just odd...

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 1

To each his own but I would never mount a buck with a different bucks hide. It's weird to me. No different than shooting a coyote but mounting it with a different yotes hide, just odd...

Sometimes, you do get a different hide from a taxidermist.

Edit; deer hide

I couldn't mount him, personally........

He is a great find though, weird he isn't eaten up at all.  You could enter him in the (IIRC) "found dead" section of the NYSBBC.

I'm 100% sure that deer was the one I shot on open day of firearms in 2013. Was a 22 yard shot broadside. Nice rest against a 20" birch tree.  I could understand if I just found the deer, knowing someone else shot him. I guess if this situration has never happen to an individual, it's easier to make the call.  I am still undecided what to do. Not one for just mounting the rack on a piece of wood. Thought about European but a deer of this caliper deserves so much more.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went out on a windy New Years day for a few hours hunt. The shed finds have come to a grinding halt, but did manage to find a 7 " snapping turtle shell, which I guess, would be illegal to keep. Through that one back.  Continued walking, being driven by the thirst for antler gold and came across a nice old filet knife in it original case. Judging by the rust on the blade, I would guess it was dropped sometime during this past firearms season. A critter had started chewing on the sheath. Not sure why someone would carry this type of knife. One thing I've noticed this year, I'm stumbling onto increase bedding areas. The deer are using heavier leaved areas, which are extremely dry, for this time of the year. Maybe seeing 27 deer, last day of muzzleloader season had something to do, LOL.  Known bedding areas, I like to stay out of till March or so.

Had some late evening activity in the chicken house. Grabbed first weapon handy, which turned out to be a muzzleloader.  Shot my first red fox of the year, chicken in mouth. Nice large prime fox. Something had bitten it's right ear off, and had pellets in it's back, that were turning green.  Weighed 9 lbs.   I skinned both and through'em in the freezer. Might just make a decent mount someday.

post-888-0-32802400-1420300495_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-56891800-1420300528_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-33326800-1420300559_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-48796000-1420300588_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Got out Sunday for about 5 hours journey. We have about 4 inches of crusty snow in the wood and thicket areas, which made it tough walking. I decided to hit the corn and soybean field edges. The excitement filled me to see a lot of deer tracks in areas where I found horn last year. My senses told me horn was there, but I believe snow is extending my find to a later date. I happen to look up into a nearby woods, where though and behold a buck I haven't seen since October 8th stared out of the edges. Still holding his crown, he stood with another, a one sided boy. This is the one that quest my thirst. A two years of shed history with this old boy. He went off, tail a waving. Did find a one wing pigeon hawk frozen stiff and shells from a lone rabbit hunter.  No antlers today though, but gained some good info., for the coming months.

• 2 months later...

Got a chance to get out for an extended shed hunt this morning, now that the maple syrup season is over. I really enjoyed the time out there.

Found shed #2 on a north sloping ditch bank. Last years shed, but we'll take it, LOL. Stuck in the mud and only showing the tips from out of the leaves

that covered most of it. My camera refuses to take daylight shots, otherwise would have posted the spot.

post-888-0-23845100-1428347857_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-48746300-1428347921_thumb.jpg

post-888-0-07483400-1428347946_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Atta-boy LTDH!

I thought you gave up before it started gettin' good!

I got some spare point and shoots if you need one for ATL's.

Just say so and I can send you one to preserve these precious moments.

Nah, we never give up. Went back out early this morning and got caught up in deer movement. Sat and watched 7 for a good hour walking around the edge of the woods eating , I believe to be wild strawberry leaves. One had pretty good velvet antlers showing already.

Also found a neighbors bolt with half a broadhead blade still in it.

• Like 1

Still. Looking.

Another nice encounter with seven , looked like yearling deer. We both caught each other off guard. They were bedded down on a north facing knoll, in some brush. Several looked out at me, as I stood still on the laneway. After several stare down minutes, they worked their way out into the alfalfa field loading up on the nice greenery starting to come on. Their were several doe. They all looked in really good shape. Beautiful bright sunny day today.