holiday favorite...

growalot

I Make a darn good pot of French onion soup...and tonight I made a pot to freeze for new years eve.....well we had it to start out our BBQ country ribs.. baked taters and green beans...

Out of dry white wine so I opened a bottle of Champaign I had in the frig. For the last 5 years...man is it great...my holiday favorite dish...What's yours?

My wife is baking about 40 dozen cookies and candies today and tonight. I am walking around like a drooling idiot because the house smells so good. She says we are crazy for all the stuff we go through hunting, well I say she is crazy for the amount of work she does in one day just to get a bunch of "care packages" of sweets done and packaged for delivery. Of course I have to eat a few dozen in the next week just so she feels good.

Without a doubt....Fried oysters !!

Dust them with flour, dip in eggwash, roll them in bread crumbs and then fry in BUTTER a couple of minutes on each side, so they are golden brown.

The Mermaid and I both love them..Unfortunately, they WORK better for me than they do for her..

Ever hear the expression " All dressed up and nowhere to go"..??..

Dust them with flour, dip in eggwash, roll them in bread crumbs and then fry in BUTTER a couple of minutes on each side, so they are golden brown.

The Mermaid and I both love them..Unfortunately, they WORK better for me than they do for her..

I use to make oyster pie, I lost the recipe. It was so good Edited by Paula

My favorite since I was a little boy has always been Granny's home made Pollock pierogi's.

I remember her making them up in everyones favorite fillings by the dozens, days ahead of time, then storing them on racks in her pantry until everyone showed up for Christmas, when she'd put the finishing touches on them. How that old lady got all those groceries home on the bus from the Broadway Market by herself is beyond me, but somehow she always managed to conquer the crowds and the weather.

Gram's been dead a bunch of years now, and her recipe box was inherited by my sister so now she has taken over the chore of preparing the pierogis. 

She does a good job, but I think Gram knew that one day her box of secrets would be handed down, so she purposely left out a few key steps and ingredients that no one has been able to figure out yet. :secret:

• Like 5

One of our bigger plates loaded with a few slices of glazed ham, mashed potatoes, squash, frozen corn, some slices of good rye bread w/ REAL BUTTER. And maybe some applesauce. Top that all off with a good strong cup of coffee.

Follow all that up with any kind of pie and then it's nap time.

• Like 1

she purposely left out a few key steps and ingredients that no one has been able to figure out yet.

My Mom made the best soft christmas cut out cookies...thick and airy....She past when I was twelve and her recipe was lost...I have never been able to figure out how to repeat what she did..so I avoid them.I make a drop sugar cookie it's a bit similar.

Heres one though that we have every Christmas ....6 3's home made ice cream

the juice from:

3-lemons

3-oranges

then 3 each of the following:

bananas mashed

pints of cream

pints of milk

cups of sugar

dissolve the sugar in the juice then add milk the   

cream, bananas and put in ice cream freezer

Edited by growalot

Around this time of the year my mother would drop me off at my grandmothers house on her way to work, grandma knew this and there would be big pots of flower yeast and other ingridents lined up on a table. My job would be mixing and needing the dough for the Paczki , Babka , Chruscki and other pasteries for the holidays. Grandma had 8 children so you could imagine the amount needed for all of my uncles, ants and cousins.   

I use to make oyster pie, I lost the recipe. It was so good

Oyster stuffing in a BIG turkey.

Eat it for days with turkey gravy poured over it.