My Past Sunset Harvest

Five Seasons

Please do not take the title out of context. There is a point to be made but it's not my goal. I wanted to share my story with you all as I'm sure some will enjoy it. It's just kind of funny this happened really concerning all the talk lately of legal shooting hours. In Mississippi legal shooting hours are 1/2 hour before and 1/2 hour after. There is also a 10" inside spread or 13" main beam. The rut is in full swing down here so I snuck out of work Friday afternoon for a sit in a ground blind (it was drizzling) on some public land near me. I harvested a doe near the spot I chose just a few weekends prior. I have been seeing great sign in this area, fresh rubs and scrapes and passed a new one on the way in.

I get in and set up by 2:30. It was one of those days where you're feeling good to be in the woods but I didn't see a thing all sit. I'm sitting up on a nob overlooking a deep shallow creek which provided a small window between 2 thick bedding areas where I had found some great sign. It's a hard to reach area as it's a pretty steep climb down and up.

Sunset is ~4:50 and the light is getting thin around 5:05. I'm hunting with my muzzleloader instead of my shotgun as I do not yet have a rifle. I look through my nikon 3x9 and still have good light. I'm shooting at a downward angle and decide to give it 5 more minutes. Truthfully any later, while legal would have been iffy. Had I been in a field I'm sure it would have been fine.

At 5:10 a see a deer come running down the hill and paused broadside at about 50 yards behind a tree. I bump the power to 4 and cock the hammer on my CVA Optima. I am not going to shoot a doe. It's dark, wet and a hell of a drag. He steps out. He's a shooter. Bang.

The buck runs 20 yards down into the steep shallow creek (oh crap), up the other side (thank God) and then flops once and dies. I sit another 5 minutes and go and check him out and was very happy with my decision. Not a perfect shot and didn't get much meat out of both shoulders but double lung just the same. The drag out with my cart may have been one of the hardest things I've ever done. Into the creek and up the otherside pushing him up with my shoulders. Inching up the ravine grabbing onto trees to prevent myself from slipping and from him sliding back down. 2 hours later he was out. I was sore but thankful. Cut him up Saturday and did the grind Sunday. He's going to be a European.

15" inside spread and a wopping 110lbs dressed haha. I'm calling him a 9 as the broken brow tine passes the keychain test for me.

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

A5609826-87A7-498F-A2FA-D800FBDFFD45_zps2707E99F-9679-4C91-B61E-25CF55579E2C_zps

001_zps85339391.jpgE621DF5F-C0F8-4465-81A6-B9AD5F3DBB47_zps

• Like 12