Black Bear Hunt in Quebec

rotorooter23

Finally booked my first out of state hunt. I have booked a Black Bear hunt 12 hours up North into Quebec with Mikes Outfitters. My extended family has gone up the past few years and had a ball. Pretty pumped! I'll be pursuing them with bow in the last week of June. Has anyone else gone a Canadian Bear hunt? How was the experience? Never Really thought I would care to go bear hunting but more and more I read, the more interested I get. 

I hunted black bear once in Saskatchewan, shot the first one to come in I was so excited. :D

Probably should have passed as I had about 4 more days to hunt.  It was a baited deal my buddy and I booked through Cabela's back in 1997 IIRC.

Great time when it was all said and done.  Spent hours and hundreds of miles on a four wheeler helping the outfitter fill bait barrels all over the province. (it seemed :D )  More mud than you could ever believe.  We winched and winched and winched!!

• Like 1

1780905_10204893606596992_81642006565336

Moog, They indeed have had some success! this bear my cousin shot last spring skull measure 19 3/8 which was P&Y and around 380 pounds. My little cousin  also took a 200 pounder with her .243. They have a 75% success rate up there and everyone usually  gets their shot at a mature bear. Fish during the day and hunt at night. They have gotten to know the owner fairly well and a great group of people. Can't wait to go!

Here is his link:

http://mikesoutfitter.com/index.en.html

• Like 3

I hunted black bear once in Saskatchewan, shot the first one to come in I was so excited. :D

Probably should have passed as I had about 4 more days to hunt.  It was a baited deal my buddy and I booked through Cabela's back in 1997 IIRC.

Great time when it was all said and done.  Spent hours and hundreds of miles on a four wheeler helping the outfitter fill bait barrels all over the province. (it seemed :D )  More mud than you could ever believe.  We winched and winched and winched!!

Sounds like a great time! Similar kind of deal here They have 80 something bait sites and u pick which one to go to and drive your wheeler to it. I don't get to see this side of the family much so it will be good bonding as they live in Michigan. 

I have never done a spring bear in Quebec but have gone to Ontario twice in September. Was fun but the only draw back I can convey was the BUGS!!! head net for us was a must and I would check with your relatives to see if they were bad. Might want to practice shooting with the head net on if you are boing with your bow.

• Like 2

I hunted bear in Quebec  3-4 yrs ago & imo. it was not a good time. 4 guys sat in tree stands over baits for 5 days  from 3pm to 10:30 pm in rain 2 days.  We ended up with 1, 220 # bear  shot & that's all we saw. And one night on the way back to camp (at 10:30) the side by side atv got a flat tire & no spare., we ended up walking back to camp about 5 miles with guns & gear on our backs!  Just a bad time all the way around!

But be sure to wear/take head net & gloves & get a Therma cell , They really work great!  or  the bugs will drive you crazy!  Your hunt already looks (pics) & sounds better than our was.   Good luck.

• Like 2

& get a Therma cell , They really work great!  or  the bugs will drive you crazy!  Your hunt already looks (pics) & sounds better than our was.   Good luck.

I don't know about your outfitter, but some I  have read aren't allowing them. Must be a scent thing. I would check because they do work great.

Sounds like a good time, Rooter..

Many of my friends have done Canadian bear hunts , and had a ball..

The only reason I have never done one is because I never needed a bear pelt, and I have not been too impressed with the bear meat that I have eaten....I do have friends (like CULVER) who love it.

The combo of bear hunting and Canadian spring fishing sounds like a winner..! Good luck... BTW..That Canadian beer is pretty good stuff too....<<grin>>...

I have hunted Canada for bears 6 times over 6 years, and would happily go back every year.

It is a great time of the year to be out, and it is always exciting. Although most stand hunts are very productive, remember it is still hunting- several years I saw gobs of bears, a couple I only saw one or two. One year I saw shootable bears and chose not to shoot, and was still happy.

Get a lot of shooting time in from stands. You will be very close with a bow...maybe 8-12 yards. You need to be very still, which buggers a lot of people up. The bears are used to the stands frequently, and are used to looking for hunters.

Prepare for the worst black flies imaginable. Get a quality bug suit, and get a thermocell with plenty of refills. They work great. Prepare for the border crossings both ways.

The Canadians are more relaxed than we are in appearance at the border, but they don't take no guff. Follow their rules and be polite, and the border crossings are a breeze. Have a good time!

• Like 1

Sounds like a good time, Rooter..

Many of my friends have done Canadian bear hunts , and had a ball..

The only reason I have never done one is because I never needed a bear pelt, and I have not been too impressed with the bear meat that I have eaten....I do have friends (like CULVER) who love it.

The combo of bear hunting and Canadian spring fishing sounds like a winner..! Good luck... BTW..That Canadian beer is pretty good stuff too....<<grin>>...

You shoot 'em .....I'll cook 'Em

• Like 1

I hunted deer up yonder and the bugs were pretty easy to handle at that time of year,BUT you say June.....you will need 4 units of plasma,some tubing and hypos.....just sayin. Be safe and GL with your hunt.A lot of good advise has been given here.

Edited by Single_shot

I have hunted Canada for bears 6 times over 6 years, and would happily go back every year.

It is a great time of the year to be out, and it is always exciting. Although most stand hunts are very productive, remember it is still hunting- several years I saw gobs of bears, a couple I only saw one or two. One year I saw shootable bears and chose not to shoot, and was still happy.

Get a lot of shooting time in from stands. You will be very close with a bow...maybe 8-12 yards. You need to be very still, which buggers a lot of people up. The bears are used to the stands frequently, and are used to looking for hunters.

Prepare for the worst black flies imaginable. Get a quality bug suit, and get a thermocell with plenty of refills. They work great. Prepare for the border crossings both ways.

The Canadians are more relaxed than we are in appearance at the border, but they don't take no guff. Follow their rules and be polite, and the border crossings are a breeze. Have a good time!

Spot on, on the crossing. We took 6 quads up,all were washed thoroughly along with trailers/trucks. They commented on how clean everything was and were VERY happy we didn't bring dirt with us. They really made a point about it. So if you plan to haul a quad etc up,remember this.

if you are stand hunting make sure you are ready at all times!!! I prefer to stand up with my bow in hand and I learned the hard way in Idaho.  Bears are the most stealthy animals in the world.  it is amazing how such a large animal can move through the woods without making a sound.

Heck yea........they can sneak up behind and be in the tree on you in seconds. 

You'd NEVER even know they were there.............................................................then all of a sudden------------CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP. :D

I wouldn't sweat it though..........................:)

• Like 1