Serious archery skills!!!

JGS

definitely better than average person but I'm not impressed.  that single spot paper target looked like he shot it with a shotgun and showed one arrow hitting the X.  when he was anchored he was shaking like a leaf at release.  all his monkey business looks fun but I hope he doesn't slip one day and turn himself into an arrow kabob.  all those shots were at point blank range.  when he was frolicking through the woods he dumped his arrows out of the quiver.  in another they hung up on a branch.  Mongolian archer comparable I think not.  If this post sounds harsh I apologize in advance.

definitely better than average person but I'm not impressed. that single spot paper target looked like he shot it with a shotgun and showed one arrow hitting the X. when he was anchored he was shaking like a leaf at release. all his monkey business looks fun but I hope he doesn't slip one day and turn himself into an arrow kabob. all those shots were at point blank range. when he was frolicking through the woods he dumped his arrows out of the quiver. in another they hung up on a branch. Mongolian archer comparable I think not. If this post sounds harsh I apologize in advance.

I guess you missed the scenes where he shot multiple targets within seconds of each other and on one occasion the targets were quite a bit aways ..instinctively that takes skill..

I guess you missed the scenes where he shot multiple targets within seconds of each other and on one occasion the targets were quite a bit aways ..instinctively that takes skill..

I judged too soon I guess.  your comment made me go back and watch the whole thing.  if you watch the whole video it does get much better.  i stand corrected, with the exception of the kabob statement.

I judged too soon I guess.  your comment made me go back and watch the whole thing.  if you watch the whole video it does get much better.  i stand corrected, with the exception of the kabob statement.

Dude if you do not think that is impressive you must be pretty amazing!! I have seen a lot of shooters and trick shooters and have seen nothing like that. I will say this is a video and who knows how many misses were edited out but still impressive, very.

Splitting an incoming arrow is probably the one trick that he does that comes closest to "Magic".

I love these guys. I once attended a Stacey Groscup show, where he was shooting aspirins and other flying targets out of the air, shooting the bow from a prone position, and shooting it with his feet and a whole bunch of other insane tricks with a bow, knives, tomahawks, and blow-guns. I was rightfully impressed, but this guy is way beyond all that and is truly unbelievable.

Anyone wondering what instinctive archery is ....... That's it, done as well as you will ever see it done. It does make me wish that I had never put that damned first sight pin on my old recurve. It was all downhill from there. Berger buttons, Flipper rests, more exotic sights, aluminum arrows, and then my first compound bow. There was no stopping all the gadgets, trinkets, quest for speed, and all the craziness that followed.

And now to see this guy who is just a beautiful thing to watch, makes me wish that I had not taken archery to where I did. Of course I would never have gotten to this guys level of skills. You have to have some serious born-in talent and one powerful drive to excel. But to be able to shoot a weapon that is simply an extension of your body and mind with none of the help from gadget-manufacturers, is indeed a skill to be proud of. But there is a point I believe when your eye-hand coordination is totally ruined my all the crutches used over the decades. I don't believe there is any going back. 

Oh, and as far as all that jumping around and bouncing off the walls ...... forget it! I haven't done anything like that in a couple decades .... lol.

Anyone know what make of Bow he uses?

If im not mistaken he uses a few different bows, different poundages and shoots ambidextrous. They explained that a true traditional archer should be able to shoot ambidextrous, shoot different bows, varying poundage, varying angles, no set anchor point and still be fast and very accurate.so i think there are a couple different bow makes that he uses.

Dude if you do not think that is impressive you must be pretty amazing!! I have seen a lot of shooters and trick shooters and have seen nothing like that. I will say this is a video and who knows how many misses were edited out but still impressive, very.

I'm pretty decent but definitely not that good.  I only watched it into 1:50 in and not with sound because I was on my work computer and something needed my attention.  wasn't overly impressive.  now being able to listen to the commentary on my home PC I know why some scenes were edited in, like him dumping all his arrows out of the quiver.  probably the most impressive thing I've seen is 7 or 8 balloons with 7 or 8 arrows out of one shot from the bow.  I admit it's impressive what he does.

The real.question is why are modern bows made.with arrowshelf on opposite side,obviously him shooting off right side of the bow is much quicker and the way he can hold arrows as depicted in ancient bais reliefs, shows how much we've lost in archery knowledge. Considering we know what we do from an Indian who was last survivor of his kind....

Lots of info presented as fact that history debunks rather readily.

A right hand bow has been shot off the left side of the bow with fingers 100/1000's of years primarily for one reason. Gripping and drawing the string with fingers rotates and holds the arrow on the riser - on the other side it rotates it away.

Many of disciplines or styles nocking on the outside were shooting with thumb or similar releases which creates an opposite rotation. Other styles doing so use a pinch type grip on the arrow/string often combined with a reverse cant - allow the arrow to stay on the riser easier. Usually found with low poundage and shallow or no nocks.

And depth perception is always better with both eyes open which can only aid in accuracy regardless of the style.

No doubt Lars is athletic, gifted, hardworking and a great entertainer. So are the top level professional wrestlers.

I have seen some unexplainable talents in my 28 years of martial arts... I believe some individuals, for some unknown reason, are able to do things that defy comprehension by the average person... they are able to feel, see and do things that most people consider humanly impossible... I am pretty sure that there isn't enough time in the world for me to learn how to shoot a bow like that.. the concentration level alone I think is beyond the capacity of most people... kind of makes me believe that almost anything is possible, even if it is beyond our ability to understand how.

i think the purpose of shooting has driven the reason to shoot differently.  nobody here is worried about running through the woods and having their quiver dump or get hung up while bowhunting.  also we don't need to practice shooting multiple targets at point blank range, because it doesn't apply to bowhunting.  from what I've seen you can get just as much accuracy from shooting an arrow on the either side if shooting instinctively with muscle memory.  seems what he's doing is a lost art that was developed with going to war in mind with only a stick and string.  I wouldn't want to carry my arrows in hand while hunting and I don't think I would need to shoot that quick, giving a valid reason to shoot that way.  still impressive but the reasons for shooting that way don't apply to today's world. lol... unless he intends to put on a show and make some money.

I have seen some unexplainable talents in my 28 years of martial arts... I believe some individuals, for some unknown reason, are able to do things that defy comprehension by the average person... they are able to feel, see and do things that most people consider humanly impossible... I am pretty sure that there isn't enough time in the world for me to learn how to shoot a bow like that.. the concentration level alone I think is beyond the capacity of most people... kind of makes me believe that almost anything is possible, even if it is beyond our ability to understand how.

they used to have these two show specials, one was called Fight Science and the other just analyzed how an athlete/soldier compared to another when doing specific tasks geared toward what they do.  they were really cool to watch on discovery, natgeo, or one of those networks.