Bow Hunting in Harriman Park? Advocacy needed.

Curmudgeon

I have been talking to employees of agencies involved in hunting and management of park land in NYS. It appears that right now may be the best opportunity to open parts of Harriman State Park to bow hunting. I put this in the general hunting area because I think all hunters should support such an effort.

Three decades ago, the Palisades Interstate Park Commission open parts of the park for a 3 year trial bow hunt. This was challenged in court and the Park Commission prevailed. However, after the trial, they caved to the animal rights groups and stopped hunting.

In the past 30 years, a number of enviro groups - that formerly opposed the hunt – have dropped their opposition due to growing awareness of deer impacts. Impacts that may have permanently changed the vegetation of the park.

The Park Commission is discussing deer management internally. They know something must be done if there is going to be any forest regeneration. They do not want to abandon the habitat to a handful of plant species that deer don't eat.

What would be helpful right now is personal and organizational support for deer management in the park being done by bow hunters.

If you belong to a downstate club, please try to get a letter of support from your organization. If you are a downstate hunter, please write a personal letter.

Letters should be sent to:

Mr. James F. Hall, Executive Director

Palisades Interstate Park Commission

Bear Mountain State Park

Bear Mountain, NY 10911-0427

Organizations that are near the park might want to try to meet with Mr. Hall.

Is there anyone out there connected to the Conservation Council who might propose they send a letter?

• Like 1

Bowtech -

I hope some people write letters, and get their clubs to write. I have some connections but am so far out of the area geographically, I am at a disadvantage. Please spread the word.

My concern is, if the parks people are not lobbied, they will do deer management discreetly at night. I did not imagine this concern but cannot divulge where it came from.

I know people at my local Archery club will be interested in hunting a new piece of land close to home. Ill try and spread the word. Any chance of the palisades being open again because i always see deer there when I go that way.  

Harriman is part of the Palisades Interstate Park .I only asked my contacts about Harriman. I suspect you are referring to other parks in the system. It wouldn't hurt for someone representing your club to make a call and inquire independently. They may give you the authority to act for them if you ask.

Although, we are a trapping club.  We have plenty of bow hunters in our group. Harriman State Park is our back yard.   I'll have to check into this. Thanks for the post.  

Mike

Maybe some of them are in other clubs - clubs that can speak specifically for bow hunters. Individual support is good. Organizational support is even better. If a Rockland or Orange County club asked the Conservation Council to take a position, that would be great.