Deer Season is Over!

NFA-ADK

Well the extension of bow hunting on LI into January is done.  I think I am finally warming up from yesterdays hunt, WOW was that cold!  I can't say I hit the woods very hard because most of my hunting grounds where shotgun only in January and a couple of colds kicked my but.  I was able to get 2 more days in a spot with a 160+ class buck roaming the area but never got a shot at him.  I jumped 3 deer heading in yesterday and had one doe at 15 yards two weeks before but was not able to get a ethical shot off as she was on the move and caught me by surprise before I was set up.  

I am thankful for a fun season and that it is finally over!  This season kicked my but!!!  That guy Murphy and his laws showed his face a few times too many. 

I hunted Otis Pike most of the bow season because it has very few deer in it like up North in the ADK.  Rocky point the few times I hunted it showed a vast difference in population vs Otis Pike and I think I will hunt that area more next year as it seems to need population control.  The private land I hunted was great with many sightings, wish I could hunt that area more but I am only a guest.

Hope everyone had a great season!  Personally I am happy its over as I burned the candle on both ends.  Almost makes me want to jump on the (Shorten the season.) bandwagon but I enjoy being out too much for that. 

Ok time to go shoot the bow, then get ready for another snow storm. 

• Like 1

You don't mention if you were able to put some venison in the freezer.  After all that hunting, did you get some reward in terms of meat in the freezer?

At this point, I am looking forward to some bobcat, fox, and coyote hunting, as well as turkey season.

You don't mention if you were able to put some venison in the freezer.  After all that hunting, did you get some reward in terms of meat in the freezer?

At this point, I am looking forward to some bobcat, fox, and coyote hunting, as well as turkey season.

I had a few opportunities but the one shot I did take was not recovered.

Funny I did not get anything because I was also on a deer management program in July-Sept.  But I have to admit I had fun and enjoyed the hunts.  Next year I plan on hunting some areas with higher population to keep my enthusiasm up.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone, 
      It is current the last week for regular season in upstate NY. Living the life working and being a full time student, I have some time off this week and would like to take a ride upstate to do a gun hunt. Never have I hunted public land in the areas 3 G, F, or N and was looking for some recommendations and help! I had used the DEC info locator and found California Hill and thought I might go there. Is there any recommendations on areas to go to in any of the wmu’s? Or on California? Any help would be really appreciated!! 

best of holiday wishes! 

• By Toth9050
      I'm new to the area and looking for some places to hunt  the next few weekends through bow/muzzleloader season. I'm living in New Paltz, and the place that seems the most promising to me so far is Vernooy Kill State forrest, and north into Sundown. Has anyone had any luck in these areas? Is there anywhere better in the area I should check out? Any info is welcome
    • By Raul2145
      Hi Everyone,
      My name is Raul and I am a new hunter! I've been hunting public land for now, but have been suffering. I've done 2 10 hour sits at Kings Park and 3 10 hour sits at Rocky Point and haven't seen one deer. I use a treestand and use scent blocker. I also get there super early in the morning. I need help! I plan to go again this friday. I scouted Rocky point after the first day and always see sign and I try to hunt the areas, but no success. I hunt around 42 and 36 I think. If someone wants the exact spot I can send them it on a map. I am really just looking for help in any areas and everything. I have put so much effort yet all i want is to just see one that will keep moral up. Any help is really appreciated!
    • By C-H Brad
      We will be publishing the new list of available hunting leases on Monday, March 2, 2020 at 7:30 AM on our website www.cottonhanlon.com 
      Cotton-Hanlon is a private timber company that owns land in NY and PA (sorry all our land in PA is currently leased). We have been leasing land since the fall of 1970. You will be dealing directly with the us, no third parties.
      Still working on the list but it looks like we'll have woodlots available in the following counties in NY: Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Oswego, Schuyler, Tioga and Tompkins.
      Make sure to check it out first thing that morning for the best choices.
      Thanks, Bob
    • By John Barton
      Wondering if anyone has an extra DMP tag for 4W. 
      Long shot I know and would be happy to get a 1C to exchange. Or trade my turkey tag. Wasn't sure where I would be hunting and never got a deer yet.