Decisions decisions...

THHuntNY

Going on a bear hunt in Maine in the beginning of September but I'm a little skeptical on the broad heads I currently shoot. I've heard that expandable heads don't work to well on bear but then I've heard they work fine. Should I make the switch to fixed or will shooting a mech not make a difference? 

A lot depends on the poundage of your bow and the weight of your arrows.

If you are generating enough kinetic energy, it won't matter as long as you place the arrow correctly.  That being said, if you start looking for a fixed blade, check out the QAD Exodus.

i have personally never shot a bear with a bow but i know that they are extremely tough animals and i would not trust anything but a fixed blade, i shoot G5 Montec and they fly very well out to 45 yards.  Also check out slick tricks, ulmer edge (apparently the best mechanical), muzzy trocars.

A lot depends on the poundage of your bow and the weight of your arrows.

If you are generating enough kinetic energy, it won't matter as long as you place the arrow correctly. That being said, if you start looking for a fixed blade, check out the QAD Exodus.

i have personally never shot a bear with a bow but i know that they are extremely tough animals and i would not trust anything but a fixed blade, i shoot G5 Montec and they fly very well out to 45 yards. Also check out slick tricks, ulmer edge (apparently the best mechanical), muzzy trocars.

I know someone who took a nice beat with a muzzy mx3 this year, straight through

I've used Magnus buzz cuts for boar many times. Nasty broadhead that is capable of breaking bone. Might want to take a look at them. Good luck with the hunt.

I shoot a 70 pound bow with 29 inch draw so there's plenty of energy either way. But I might have to take a look at the QAD Exodus or slick tricks...all the reviews I've read on them say they do more then get the job done.

watch some u tube videos rage heads kill bears and leave a heck of a blood trail

I've seen a bunch of them but then I've seen a few videos where guys talk about how 20 percent of the time they don't work and a black bears wound will gunk up with hair and fat and then you'll lose the bear. I don't know I'm probably way over thinking this

THHuntNY

I took a Black Bear with my bow back during the 2010 hunting season.  He was a 200lb bear and I shoot a PSE Bow Madness set at 70lbs and I use Rage broadheads.  Bear went 50 yds and dropped right there and Bled out.  Went to track him and hour later and where I last saw him is where he was found.  I hit him just behind left shoulder and on a downward shot from my treestand and arrow was poking through front of right shoulder.  That was my first bow kill.  I stand behind RAGE broadheads if you already use you know the results, if you switch I feel you will not be disappointed.  Use what you are comfortable with and practice with what you plan to shoot so that you have no reservations. My .02.....

With the specific intention of killing a bear I would use a fixed blade head. Probably a cut on contact head like a Magnus Stinger. Less things to go wrong, as far as broadhead malfunction, tough shot angles etc.

My only direct experience personally for the one bear I killed with a bow is with a Rocket Steel head mechanical. I wasn't hunting for bears specifically at the time. It was a 225 pound sow and she expired in about 40 yards.

With the specific intention of killing a bear I would use a fixed blade head. Probably a cut on contact head like a Magnus Stinger. Less things to go wrong, as far as broadhead malfunction, tough shot angles etc.

My only direct experience personally for the one bear I killed with a bow is with a Rocket Steel head mechanical. I wasn't hunting for bears specifically at the time. It was a 225 pound sow and she expired in about 40 yards.

Makes sense on why to make the switch to a fixed head. But I'm just worried about an accidental bad or marginal shot, they don't have that big cutting diameter like mechanicals do