Winter Camping?

Lawdwaz

13 years ago me and 2 buddy's were bored so we decided that the next day we would pack the truck and head to the Adirondack since none of us had never been there we packed the truck picked a spot on the map and drove the 7 or so hrs and found a lean 2 dam that's spelled wrong lol. We stayed 2 nights it was -17 the first night and we got about 1'of fresh snow that night and had a great time.

each year me my father inlaw broth in-laws and friends go up to Allegheny state park and do a guys over night trip most of tge guys stay in tents me and my father inlaw usually crash in our hammocks that's always a blast

• Like 1

It's definitely doable. I see a lot of bums in NYC looking super cold, but still alive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it!  I'm pitching a tent and camp fire in Grand Central.  Stop by and visit on, Biz, your way up Metro North.

• Like 1

I did it once years ago. Only it wasn't in a tent it was a old old trailer set up as a hunting camp, No electric no water. Had to go down ravine to get water. There was 6 of us, happened to be the coldest it had been in yrs i guess. I would like to do it again under better conditions and with better company. I think it was out past Naples i think

Not camping but we went to camp one winter to cut wood...a storm blew in with 30mph winds,snow, then it dropped to -10...we have a good sized wood burner at camp but the 2 of us were up all night trying to keep the fire going and we could still see our breath in the cabin at times...finally day break arrived and the snow was too deep to do anything in the woods...we shoveled the truck out and managed to get back to the main road....no more camp in the winter lol

Did it a few times when I was in my 20's. We would ride back in on snow machines,put pine boughs down a foot or so deep and pitch the tent over that. Had wood stacked at the site so we had a big fire, brought along plenty of food and of course a bottle of fire water to pass around. I remember some deep conversations a lot of laughs and frozen boots in the morning. And the stars in the clear winter night that really stood out. 

• Like 1

Being somewhat of a military history buff, winter camping brings to mind the Marines fighting near the Chosin Reservoir during the Korean Conflict.

They endured temps well below zero with little or no shelter.

At night they held off human wave attacks of hordes of Chinese troops blowing bugles, screaming and throwing grenades.

"There's a thousand Chinks coming through the pass playing burp gun boogie all over my ass"...

I'll bet not one of the survivors of that ordeal was interested in winter camping after that...

You do not want to solo in very cold temps. It is very cold having 1 person in a single-walled nylon tent that sleeps 2-3.  Even had a 0 degree mummy bag with a x-large 12 hour disposable warmer in it over top a sleeping pad.  My breath froze inside of the tent all over the walls.

Tents get very dark if it snows over-night.  Makes it difficult to know what time it is when you wake up.

Need to bring you own tinder if everything is already under the snow, and may need to thaw out downed branches before trying to burn them.  Plan on breaking ice to get water.

Boots do freeze, its not joke.  I put mine under the sleeping bag to have them not freeze.  Which means I have started the fire in the morning to thaw out my tent-mates boots so they could get out of the tent.

Last time I winter camped was backpacking during a nasty winter storm in Harriman State park in Dec a few years ago.  Most trudged through the snow, a couple party members had snow shoes, another had cross-country skis, and we had a sled (hauled in some dry wood on it, slid back down the mountain next day).  We had a few fresh inches of snow fall over-night.  The park roads were closed while we were in there.  A couple people had sweaty gloves from cutting firewood (axes/hatchets/ bow saws).  After taking off the gloves for couple minutes, the gloves were free standing.

used to take the kids to Allegany State Park for a weekend of camping in the winter.  Lots of sledding, hiking, and a big campfire in the snow - always had fun.  A cabin with heat sure helped though, pretty  sure I'd not of done it from a tent.  If you're into cross country skiing, or have a snowmobile, lots of that to do there as well.

My wife and I took our 6 day "winter" camping trip to Las Vegas last week. Temps were around 80 degrees every day when we were labriously walking up and down the strip. Dined on those prickley king and snow crab legs then took the evening baths in that nasty jaccuzi each night. I'm getting too old for these uncomfortable camping trips. :cheese:

• Like 2

Not a chance!

I don't like being out in this stuff while I'm awake..., ain't no way I'm sleeping out in it!

Besides, I like to sleep in the nude and that could pose a HUGE problem if someone discovered where I pitched a tent! :swoon:

Pitching a TENT...??

HUGE..??

We aren't BRAGGING a little here are we..??... hehehehe...

• Like 3

We used to do quite a bit of winter camping, usually on state land. Actually, colder is better. The snow doesn't melt on you so readily, and you don't sweat as much...but you need to know what you are doing. Some folks like lean to camping n the winter, but other than having a dry base for operations, it is the cold way to go. We would dig down in the snow, run a rope between trees and put up a fly over our whole, closing in the ends. During the day you keep busy hiking, hunting or whatever, and when the sun goes down hide in the shelter. After putting down ground sheets and foam pads, and lighting a candle lantern or two it could get quite comfy. We used to go to the same few areas so in warmer seasons we would pre cut fire wood and clear our shelter area. We had a "dog sled" we built which we carried water, etc. in, much easier than melting it. We buried the water jugs in the snow, and it wouldn't freeze. Coldest we were out was +- 20 below at night with no problems.

Im heading out for my annual man camp out on March 28th we use to do it a couple weeks earlier but some of the guys pushed it back we've been doing it for almost 5 years eve had decent weather one of the year's but for the most part it's still pretty darn cokd and a bunch of snow in the ground. We still akways have a great time I'm looking forward to getting out