Checking aim and steadiness w/ laser pointer

thunnus

Assuming my arrow shoots flat out to 20 yards, I'm thinking about purchasing a cheap laser pointer and attaching it to the bow to see visually just how steady my aim is and video the variance of my shot.

Has anyone else here tried this?

I'm not advocating it for hunting just to correct poor shooting habits

first make sure you've got multiple anchor points.  assuming you've got a triggered release once you anchor and settle on the target so that movement is centered over that center of where you're aiming put enough pressure on the trigger so it doesn't fire.  then pull with your back muscles.  as you pull harder against the bow's "back wall" or draw stops you'll see the movement tighten up to where you're aiming.  then if you've kept that constant pressure on the trigger the pulling through will be enough to set it off when things tighten up.  if you don't have enough pressure on the trigger though you'll be pulling too hard and fatigue sets in quick causing bigger and sporadic movement which isn't good.  it takes a lot of mental power to do it every time without forcing the release to fire or tweak out when you feel the travel in the release trigger.  just ride it out though and keep thinking about aiming with a dead gaze on the spot.  I wouldn't have the dot in the sight picture though.  you're not aiming/focusing at the wiggling pointer dot.  you should be focusing at a still point of aim.  video the pointer dot somewhere else on the paper or target to see how much you're moving after a group of shots.  I haven't used a laser pointer but that's what has helped me.

you don't need a small peep with the pin centered in the peep.  I get plenty of accuracy and light transmission from a big 1/4" peep and 2" sight housing centered just within it.  for hunting and competition it helps me see better and more of what I'm shooting at, which helps me get on target quicker.  not sure how you're setup but that's what works for me.  the aiming to shot process shouldn't take more than 5 seconds or so.  after that you loose focus and move more.

DBhunterny: I really appreciate the coaching.

After reading it and reading it Word for Word I realize that my release may be too light. I have it set to a hair trigger namely as I draw the bow back I put my finger behind it so it doesn't release and then when it's time to release I reach my finger around the trigger to do so

DBhunterny: I really appreciate the coaching.

After reading it and reading it Word for Word I realize that my release may be too light. I have it set to a hair trigger namely as I draw the bow back I put my finger behind it so it doesn't release and then when it's time to release I reach my finger around the trigger to do so

you may have already noticed but keep in mind trigger weight will be much higher when pulling on the string versus sitting there not hooked up.  also it doesn't have to be that heavy, but a "hair" trigger isn't good either.  I say this because if your finger is on it and you get a gust of wind while on stand or on the range it could cause you to set it off not intentionally.  you could miss or make a bad shot on game.  your holding the weight from the release and only putting slight and constant pressure on the trigger with your finger.  factory settings are usually alright to start from.  not sure what you've got but if you can adjust travel it's good to still have a little.  too much and you change position of your hand a bit and start to tense up by the time you get to the end.  a little is important though so you don't have mishaps like I mentioned above.

also I've found many people have releases too long so they're reaching for the trigger on index finger triggered releases.  it should be right at your finger when your finger's relaxed at a slight bend.  just attached to your wrist the end usually ends up around the middle joint of your middle finger when resting in your palm.

• 2 weeks later...

Form is everything.  I picked up some good ideas from watching the pros.  These are two top shooters from USA with perfect form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AptUrnCAHbY

Otherwise the front sight should match the peep so you can see the outer ring on the front sight perfect in the peep.  Try to tighten up the trigger as stated and use back tension vs pulling the trigger.  Try to keep your grip on the bow open so as not to torch it left or right and use the bubble in your sight to keep bow level.  Practice makes perfect, the more you shoot WITH good form the better you will become.  Go to your local archery range and do a shoot they are challenging and fun. 

• Like 1

with watching other better shooters or a pro.  keep in mind they'll all do things a little bit different, like anchor points.  all the concepts and basics are the same though.  it's important to figure out what feels comfortable to you.  your form should also be something that for you is the easiest to repeat over and over.  at the end of the day it doesn't matter if what you're doing is completely ass backwards compared to the guy next to you as long as the above applies.  still be open to new ideas though.  a vast majority of the time you won't know if something will improve your shooting until you try it.  results will show if anything is making things better or worse.

Edited by dbHunterNY