Who has a trail camera out in this snow?

genesee_mohican

I have four out...been wanting to check them. Been out quite some time without being checked...thinking before new years, but can't remember exactly when. A couple are loaded with lithiums and a couple with new alkalines. Should be interesting to see what the performance is on them. I do not normally run cams beyond a post-season survey poke (ie a shot in the dark)

Unfortunately, I have zero idea when they will be checked...probably when the best weekend day exists to start shed hunting. Maybe July?

Edited by phade

Just hope your camera is still above the snow. I raised this camera a couple of days ago. You can see how high the snow is, even thought the ravens and eagles constantly pack it down. Other cameras I can't get bait to, that is, if we can find bait. There aren't many deer committing suicide in the roads these days.

post-5300-0-44291800-1424795182_thumb.jp

If you want humor, I can send photos of my wife chopping up road-killed deer with an ax.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Like 1

I set a few cameras out prior to all the snow and haven't made the trek trough the deep stuff to check on them.

I think we should have contest for the best picture during the month of Feb 2015. 

Judging based on humor, struggles with the snow and cold or something like that.

Would be also interesting what brand and model of cam; what brand of battery and type, just to see performance in these extremes.

I have had 2 of the new cuddebacks out since Sept and still have originals batteries in them.They have taken 100's of pics.We will see if they are still alive when I check them this weekend.they were still going strong beginning of February,but I bet the Temps have drained the batteries.

Edited by Bow Addict

I have had 2 of the new cuddebacks out since Sept and still have originals batteries in them.They have taken 100's of pics.We will see if they are still alive when I check them this weekend.they were still going strong beginning of February,but I bet the Temps have drained the batteries.

It's not so much the drain as it is the ability to work. Alkalines in this kind of weather might work on a warm (relatively speaking) day, but then not work for a few days when the temps were too cold, and then again, work a few days later when the temp rises.

The joys of winter camming. I generally don't do much of it, although some very experienced users prefer leaving cams out all year to prevent issues (likely from condensation/temp/humidity changes from coming indoors).

I pulled both of mine the other day.  I still was getting nice videos but I don't think I'll be making the trek down towards Canadice for a while now.......shed horns, cold temps, deep snow and LOCUSTS!

I'll put them out again in the spring with fresh batts and a fluff & buff.

I own 3 and they are all out.  2 Moultrie's  MX 80 8mp 

1) Moultrie  MX 80 8mp on an active fox den

2) Moultrie MX 80  8mp on spot I may place a stand

3) Spypoint eclypse 5.0 mp  near some current stands.

All using basic Energizer AA's and I put in fresh batts early to mid Jan which was the last time I visited them.

I try to leave mine out all year because it's fun, gives me a reason to be outdoors and you can't get a picture if your camera is on the shelf.

• Like 2

I had one out... pulled it last week and had no pics since the heavy snow started a month or two ago... i buried the snowmobile twice while trying to get to it, gotta stay throttle down moving forwards either wise u just bury urself, the whole farm is covered in snow waist deep or better it seems 

The problem I have this time of year is that the deer movements are very random. They don't seem to use any established trails and simply go from point A to point B in any old hap-hazard way. Plus the movement right now is very curtailed, so days can go by without any action. I don't know whether they are simply holding tight in the ugly weather, or that they are covering huge areas in search of food. But anyway, I pulled all the cameras about a couple months ago.

Ha i just saw this and it reminded me I have one camera up in the thick stuff, I moved it when I took some stands down end of the season .

I however have only a rough idea of just where I moved it to .....