Tough Year for Bunnies

Rabbit season closed yesterday. What started out as a good season right after the late muzzleloader deer season ended, turned into a shutdown. We got hammered with snow here in the Finger Lakes region in addition to the record cold temperatures. There was too much snow to hunt in with my beagles. Even if I wore my snowshoes, they couldn't make it through the deep snow. When we found rabbit sign, it was close to their holes and they were not venturing far from the holes to gnaw on tree bark. I hope enough of them make it through this record winter to make next year decent.

I experienced the same sort of thing.  There was sign everywhere but always within 5 or 6 feet of their holes.  There seemed to be no shortage of rabbits though.  I thought about just sitting on a hill with my .22 but if I sat down I'd essentially be buried. 

• 3 weeks later...

As long as you have thick cover you will have rabbits.  With the snow so deep it allowed the rabbits access to food (brush brambles etc) higher than they could usually reach.  So there was plenty of food if you had brush. The deep snow actually acts as a igloo allowing them to avert the worst of the cold staying warmer than you think. (we had -20 multiple times in late Jan  and Feb)  They have no need to go out.  So don't worry.... they made it through.  Other game (deer,turkey) may not have been so lucky.  We shall see when the snow is gone.. Heck in 4 weeks I'll getting ready to plow.  

• 2 weeks later...

Rabbits are designed to turn rough vegetation into delightful  tasting protein.  If given good habitat their fecundity will make up for any winter kill.  Just don't plant fescue on the property......that particular vegetation is very detrimental to rabbits.