Trout season

Dom

Well we have made it through a very cold snowy winter.With all the snow melt that will be going on and the creek bed's will be over flowing also the water will be so cold they wont be stocking the streams any time soon.

May try to make the naples derby....crowded as always but a good time with good folks....and opening of Bob and Ruths diner

Skip B & R's.........Redwood for breakfast & Middletown for a barley sandwich at lunch.  :)

We don't need no stinkin' feesh to have a good time!

• Like 2

Redwoods ribs are top notch....get them every time I go...never been for breakfast....may have to try that....thanks

Eggs Benedict or eggs Florentine will knock your socks off..................................Oh, need some sweets?  Chocolate chip pancakes to die for.

Dinners there were always OK, but the salad bar was very good.  The Naples Hotel has a good burger at the bar.......

May as well stop in at Sutton's too.......see if anything has changed in the last 50 years.  :)  I do love the place, have dropped cash just about every time I've been there!

• Like 2

My buddies and I hit opening day every year, from the time we were kids until about 8 or ten years ago. The last opener ended up in a shoving match with some drunk A-hole at Catherine's Creek. Yeah he was drunk at about 8A.M. and thought he owned the place.  Amateur hour is definitely the correct term. Now we don't go until a couple weeks after the opener when it thins out a bit. I have my best luck in May anyway.

The past 3 yrs I have been going to PA with my BIL for the PA trout opener. Haven't trout fished in NY since. Season opens 2nd week of April and we fish in the mountains so the streams are Crystal clear and not too crowded. Caught my limit last year by lunchtime. Can't wait for this year. Going to stop on the way and apply for PA license to carry firearm. $20 and 20 minutes of your time so it's a no brainer.

Edited by Zem18

May try to make the naples derby....crowded as always but a good time with good folks....and opening of Bob and Ruths diner

We'll be there. I always start out at the public access off of lower Eelpot Rd, getting there two hours before light to hold my spot. I don't join the derby, but myself & a few of my friends have made it a yearly tradition to spend the first few days of trout season down at camp. We fish, bullsh*t by the fire, shoot lots of guns & cook a bunch of greasy food.

• Like 3

I'm with Zem on this one.  Into the mountains I go where the water gets high but stays crystal clear.  I don't know where you guys are fishing but it sounds like a real hoot. 

Opening day is an observance more than anything.  I'll start fishing a favorite creek next week if the weather holds.  I haven't fished it, or even seen it for that matter, since December buried it but am looking forward to our reunion. 

• Like 1

For many years I shared opening day with a group of friends..

We always had a little contest. The rules were, we fished in 2 man teams, ten dollars per man. Whatever team turned in the LONGEST trout took all the money. The trout had to come from the Cohocton River OR one of it's tributaries, which covers quite a lot of water We would all meet at a predetermined time and place, measure the fish and settle up, and then drink beer and play poker the rest of the day. Usually, it took a 18" to 20" fish to win the contest.

About half the guys who used to fish the contest are dead now. One fellow moved to Florida and another is no longer physically able to fish the streams.. My partner for years died a year and a half ago.. I miss him..He always got really excited over opening day, even when he was in his 60s...

It will never be the same...

• Like 2

For many years I shared opening day with a group of friends..

We always had a little contest. The rules were, we fished in 2 man teams, ten dollars per man. Whatever team turned in the LONGEST trout took all the money. The trout had to come from the Cohocton River OR one of it's tributaries, which covers quite a lot of water We would all meet at a predetermined time and place, measure the fish and settle up, and then drink beer and play poker the rest of the day. Usually, it took a 18" to 20" fish to win the contest.

About half the guys who used to fish the contest are dead now. One fellow moved to Florida and another is no longer physically able to fish the streams.. My partner for years died a year and a half ago.. I miss him..He always got really excited over opening day, even when he was in his 60s...

It will never be the same...

That's a pretty good tradition, sorry to hear about your friend

• Like 1

I'm with Zem on this one. Into the mountains I go where the water gets high but stays crystal clear. I don't know where you guys are fishing but it sounds like a real hoot.

Opening day is an observance more than anything. I'll start fishing a favorite creek next week if the weather holds. I haven't fished it, or even seen it for that matter, since December buried it but am looking forward to our reunion.

My BIL grew up in Miflinburg, PA and they have a hunting and fishing camp in the Bald Eagle State Forest. I believe the name of the stream is Pine Creek. Not very wide, and has some nice holes in a short stretch (about 150yrs long) The creek is stocked but there are holdovers and brookies as well so it is a good time. Usually get there Friday night, play poker and get silly doing shots and such. Can't start until 8am so sleeping in is nice if you can get sleep.

Headed to Center County as well to get my PA license to carry this year. About a month away and can't wait.

Edited by Zem18

Trout season is year round on the reservoirs down here. I'm hoping ice is gone and I can fish my bday (3/31) for some lakers/browns from my rowboat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

Stocking?

What about the runners from the lakes? April first will be a real joke for many reasons. :)

The trout opener is amateur hour anyway, wait a few weeks and the fishing is better and the streams aren't crowded

The trout don't wake up on our tundra rivers until the middle of April anyway.

I check the temperature of the St Regis River in my back yard. It runs about 4° warmer than the trout water sections upstream. When it approaches 50° here it is time to start hitting the pocket water from St Regis Falls down to Ft Jackson.

The Salmon River below Malone is 4° colder than the trout water in the St Regis in the summer so it stays productive longer.

• Like 1

Any of you guys ever fish the NJ opener? I did once. ONCE. It's bananas. Shoulder to shoulder as far as you can see. The crazy thing was everyone caught fish. They stock brookies there

I fished the trout opener back around '74 in a tributary of the Allegheny about 20 miles North of Pittsburgh.

They had a game warden on the bridge to blow the whistle @ 8:00 AM or whatever the official opening time was. 

I had gotten there early & was standing on the corner of a concrete abutment under the bridge so I wasn't getting tangled up. (much)

It was quite a circus.

The trout don't wake up on our tundra rivers until the middle of April anyway.

I check the temperature of the St Regis River in my back yard. It runs about 4° warmer than the trout water sections upstream. When it approaches 50° here it is time to start hitting the pocket water from St Regis Falls down to Ft Jackson.

The Salmon River below Malone is 4° colder than the trout water in the St Regis in the summer so it stays productive longer.

A bunch of us come to the St Regis every year, I love that river