Maple Syrup

kpkot

Shadow Hill Maple Farm ---- Lakeside Road , Ontario , NY

Visited the place Sunday afternoon . Tubing running all over the place . The tubes go carry the sap downhill to a pumphouse and the sap gets pumped to the tanks for processing when needed .

post-132-0-34402400-1427160796_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-32151700-1427160833_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-62843100-1427160879_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-23820800-1427160913_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-67890400-1427160957_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-19801300-1427161126_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-54692000-1427161201_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-59232400-1427161261_thumb.jpg

post-132-0-03284600-1427161310_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

My ex-wife has made syrup for many years and it is great stuff.

However for some reason after our divorce my supply dried up !

Fortunately, an old gentleman in Ontario, Canada who generously allows me to hunt gobblers on his property also makes it, so I now purchase several quarts from him each year.

Hey Wildcat that is Haskel and Jane Yanceys place you visited. Some old school equipment in that place. English tin pans all buckets etc.

Yep, that's the place. The 1st Maple weekend was a bust this year. Nobody was boiling. Yancey's wasn't even open on Sunday.

We did manage to score three 1/2 gallons jugs of syrup for a decent price.

What the heck is the attraction? We used to make syrup in big tubs over an open fire. We sat up all night boiling and watching the fire and the syrup, waiting for just the right time to pour it off and finish it on the stove inside. We were all into it the wife, the kids, and myself. It was just absolutely fascinating. We always had to try to get it as thick as possible without having it turn into rock candy, which happened a couple of times. It was so fascinating that I came very close to buying a small evaporator. I still get the urge to do it. I guess it has something to do with providing for ourselves from the wild. Maybe even some of the same basic motivation as hunting. I don't know, but I don't know a lot of people who had the resources that hasn't made some syrup at one time or another.

• Like 1

Have many trees but the snow was a problem getting to them ( it's all up hill ) Do mine on a 55 gal. drum upright with a grate on top and a big old oversized turkey pan and also finish in the house.Just make enough for myself and friends. Sap was not running that good but should pick up this week.

What the heck is the attraction? We used to make syrup in big tubs over an open fire. We sat up all night boiling and watching the fire and the syrup, waiting for just the right time to pour it off and finish it on the stove inside. We were all into it the wife, the kids, and myself. It was just absolutely fascinating. We always had to try to get it as thick as possible without having it turn into rock candy, which happened a couple of times. It was so fascinating that I came very close to buying a small evaporator. I still get the urge to do it. I guess it has something to do with providing for ourselves from the wild. Maybe even some of the same basic motivation as hunting. I don't know, but I don't know a lot of people who had the resources that hasn't made some syrup at one time or another

We still do, LOL!  I like taking a natural raw product, adding labor, turning into a useful natural product that's so tasty sweet.

Some great flavor this season but with a lower sugar content. Taking more sap to make a gallon of syrup.

I guess the western part of the state did not get the depth that the ground froze  as we did some of the big syrup producers here are saying the ground froze  down as far as 7 feet and it efected the root systems in there trees which have been producing poor this year so far.

I guess the western part of the state did not get the depth that the ground froze  as we did some of the big syrup producers here are saying the ground froze  down as far as 7 feet and it efected the root systems in there trees which have been producing poor this year so far.

7',really?I kind of doubt it!

7',really?I kind of doubt it!

This was one of the largest and oldest companies in our area why should they BS on the local public radio station about that. As I mentioned to SOB on another website the average temp. in our area was 9 degrees for the month of Feb.Many of them nights  below 0 degrees as 10 to 20 below..

I know the frost was the deepest it has gone in my time here. My driveway where it meets the garage actually heaved and is 6 inches higher than it used to be. First time that has happened in twenty years! 7 feet I would say not near but deepest I can recall.

Now to the syrup!! That looks delicious Dinsdale!!! My next prop will have sugar maple!! I need more hobbies!! lol

• Like 1

Yep, that's the place. The 1st Maple weekend was a bust this year. Nobody was boiling. Yancey's wasn't even open on Sunday.

We did manage to score three 1/2 gallons jugs of syrup for a decent price.

Depends where you were at.  Moser's Maple had 2000 gallons of sap they held for the weekend, Yardleys Maple had plenty as well.  Some producers paid attention to the weather and held sap, other just didnt get any.   I know most all of them are praying for a run tomorrow straight through till thursday night so they have sap to boil this maple weekend.  I have been froze solid, 1250 taps on vac and I have pulled just under 1000 gallons.  Yet another tough year to be a NY producer.