Nonresident hunting in ny with 30 cal ar

Slaynbux

Stubby- ArmaLite rifle

And I haven't seen anyone clam they are the most accurate rifle or that they will magically cure poor marksmanship or compensate for poor shot selection. If a hunter is selecting a semi auto for their hunting rifle, they would be hard pressed to find a more reliable, accurate and customizable one than the AR platform. And while the civilian AR's are not the same as the military version they are Mil spec and that equates to never having to worry about a lack of spare parts. All seem like very good reasons other than being "bad ass" regardless of what you think.

Its clear, to me, that Some of the "No AR's for hunting" crowd ASSUME that people who choose AR's to hunt with, are a bunch of Rambo wanta be gun strokers, who just want a reason to run through the woods, with their "Assault Rifles"doing barrel rolls and ripping off 30 round mags at any deer they see, while wearing full camo, face paint and boot knives. 

The fact that a hunting AR is restricted to only five rounds, that it might fit a person well, and is actually a good rifle for hunting will never register with some folks. They can't bring themselves to get past the looks of the AR and that it, like some sporting rifles, can use hi  cap mags.

You just don't need it…..end of story.

Its clear, to me, that Some of the "No AR's for hunting" crowd ASSUME that people who choose AR's to hunt with, are a bunch of Rambo wanta be gun strokers, who just want a reason to run through the woods, with their "Assault Rifles"doing barrel rolls and ripping off 30 round mags at any deer they see, while wearing full camo, face paint and boot knives. 

The fact that a hunting AR is restricted to only five rounds, that it might fit a person well, and is actually a good rifle for hunting will never register with some folks. They can't bring themselves to get past the looks of the AR and that it, like some sporting rifles, can use hi  cap mags.

You just don't need it…..end of story.

it's clear that you haven't read most of this thread. It has never once been said someone shouldn't hunt with an AR, but again I'll state statistically most do not and there are numerous reasons why. So why someone would risk using one in the most intolerant gun state in the union when a simple modern accurate bolt action will do the job is what's confusing. When the response is "just because I want to" it opens the door to the above scenario because it just doesn't seem very practical or worth the risk. When the debate turns foul instantly it furthers the point. So, if you just want to try something different, just say that instead of waving your second amendment flag around to a bunch of people who are holding the same flag.

it's clear that you haven't read most of this thread. It has never once been said someone shouldn't hunt with an AR, but again I'll state statistically most do not and there are numerous reasons why. So why someone would risk using one in the most intolerant gun state in the union when a simple modern accurate bolt action will do the job is what's confusing. When the response is "just because I want to" it opens the door to the above scenario because it just doesn't seem very practical or worth the risk. When the debate turns foul instantly it furthers the point. So, if you just want to try something different, just say that instead of waving your second amendment flag around to a bunch of people who are holding the same flag.

And I have said that as long as the rifle is legal, and the person follows the rules, he should be able to hunt with it with out being second guessed. If the rifle  is illegal in NY then NO he shouldn't  do it (obviously)  Like it or not he can use any legal rifle he wants even if its "just because"

If you're telling me that you don't  have a big hang up with people using AR's for hunting…..well okay… I guess I read you wrong…Sorry

His original question was answered with a bs answer. An AR  is more accurate? If I shoot a bulls eye at 300 yards with my Mossy 308 and you shoot a bulls eye at 300 yards with your AR they both have the same accuracy right? Or is a bulls eye with an AR better then with any other gun? Some one also said they liked them because if they needed a second shot they didn't want to fumble around with a bolt. I can cycle a bolt plenty fast and never take my eyes off the target so I fail how some one would have to fumble with a bolt. If they do then they need to learn how to use a bolt action weapon.Every reason given for useing an AR described what any semi is used for so all they did is answer why use a seni not specifically why use an AR. Those answered seemed more like a tap dance around the real answer. They look bad ass and we feel bad ass using them. That is an answer I could live with and I think Belo would have been good with that as well.

Saying that the second question should have been a statement that no one should not be aloud to use those just means you are reading words into the post. How by reading can anyone think it is more then a simple question. Did he make  statements against AR rifles? yes eventually but not until he was attacked and pushed. When he got what he felt was a good answer to his question he said thank and seemed to drop it yet others decided he ment more then he wrote and proded him.

This derail has gone on far too long and feel we should just let it die so I will now bow out. I am sure we will find something else to argue about in no time at all.

Why do you guys keep comparing an AR to a bolt gun? When people (including myself) are saying that they are more accurate, they mean more accurate than almost every other factory built SEMIAUTOMATIC rifle on the market.

Why do you guys keep comparing an AR to a bolt gun? When people (including myself) are saying that they are more accurate, they mean more accurate than almost every other factory built SEMIAUTOMATIC rifle on the market.

We should all be snipers!!! No hunter "needs" a semi automatic to hunt deer. "I am so good I use to only load 2 bullets, then I moved to one. Now I just sneak up so close that when I fire a blank they die from a heart attack"

• Like 1

No hunter "needs" a semi automatic rifle to hunt with is the same type of logic and argument the antis use to try and ban them from private ownership.

You guys dont "need" a compound bow to kill a deer either. Make those illegal, they have too many advantages and look too ramboish for my liking.

The same reason you're upset with me and Stubby is the same reason you get a bad rap by the public. You get super uptight like a sphincter in February whenever someone brings up your precious AR. You go to extremes that you know are pure BS. You're blowing it way out of proportion... because that's what you're use to doing.

Ever wonder if you just stopped freaking out about everything and went at life a little more diplomatic, rationale and open minded to others way of thinking you might get farther? You might not come off as extreme and nut jobby?

I am not and have not lied in this thread when I told you I was moments away from picking up an M&P AR at a gun show and decided on pure financials alone it wasn't a good move. I can still pick one up this afternoon in a heartbeat. The more you guys go off, the less I feel I want one. I'm sure Culver will chime in that he'd rather I not own one... and if that's how we're waging our war... good luck. I've never known a group that casted out their members to succeed with their goals. If you can point to one, I'll gladly cancel my NRA membership and never dream of owning an AR.

btw,

black gun. 1 shot. public land mz.

001_zps85339391.jpg

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

036_zps38d6e8b7.jpg

040_zps7e1cb23d.jpg

Edited by Belo

Bravo belo, u answered your own question most people can't afford or unwilling to pony up the money to get into one. I looked for a while to find one I liked. My suggestion to u is pick up a ar armorers wrench a vise block build one the way u want it. Order what parts u like configure to your tastes. Get a good drop in match trigger quality barrel. U will then get a better understanding of why most get them. Sw probably a good choice but to metheir dime a dozen.

Ever wonder if you just stopped freaking out about everything and went at life a little more diplomatic, rationale and open minded to others way of thinking you might get farther? You might not come off as extreme and nut jobby?

That very approach has gotten us where we are in my opinion. Those in favor and pushing, ever increasing gun control are not won over by nice and inaction, they are emboldened by it. And for the record what set me off with you was you employing the same comments that the antis use. Even though you know in NY there is no hunting with a semi mag fed rifle with more than 5 you took the 30 round mag approach. Then we have to listen to the "just to be cool and bad ass and they are all Rambo wannbees. " comments because Stubby just can't see any advantage to the platform.

• Like 2

The same reason you're upset with me and Stubby is the same reason you get a bad rap by the public. You get super uptight like a sphincter in February whenever someone brings up your precious AR. You go to extremes that you know are pure BS. You're blowing it way out of proportion... because that's what you're use to doing.

I am not and have not lied in this thread when I told you I was moments away from picking up an M&P AR at a gun show and decided on pure financials alone it wasn't a good move. I can still pick one up this afternoon in a heartbeat. The more you guys go off, the less I feel I want one. I'm sure Culver will chime in that he'd rather I not own one... and if that's how we're waging our war... good luck. I've never known a group that casted out their members to succeed with their goals. If you can point to one, I'll gladly cancel my NRA membership and never dream of owning an AR.

btw,

black gun. 1 shot. public land mz.

001_zps85339391.jpg

6EAA258C-4E9B-4DCB-8C0D-8F550ECDC9D1_zps

036_zps38d6e8b7.jpg

040_zps7e1cb23d.jpg

Actually, I disagree with MANDATORY antler restrictions because its another restriction, just like your views on AR style rifles. I have always, and will most likely always practice VOLUNTARY antler restrictions because I do know the advantages to them, I just choose to not force my opinion on others. The only extremes I go to are tongue in cheek. You on the other hand, should be the last person talking about others going to extremes in their arguments Mr Crossbows will be the end of the archery season. Im not the one coming off like a nut job (nice name calling after you pissed and moaned about it through the whole thread btw) because I dont agree with more restrictions and Im pointing out the advantages to them. Im not the one saying anyone has to hunt like me or anything like that.

Also, whats the point behind your pics?

Actually, I disagree with MANDATORY antler restrictions because its another restriction, just like your views on AR style rifles. I have always, and will most likely always practice VOLUNTARY antler restrictions because I do know the advantages to them, I just choose to not force my opinion on others. The only extremes I go to are tongue in cheek. You on the other hand, should be the last person talking about others going to extremes in their arguments Mr Crossbows will be the end of the archery season. Im not the one coming off like a nut job (nice name calling after you pissed and moaned about it through the whole thread btw) because I dont agree with more restrictions and Im pointing out the advantages to them. Im not the one saying anyone has to hunt like me or anything like that.

Also, whats the point behind your pics?

It's no secret that the fact that I'm opinionated bothers you. And it's no secret that when our opinions differ you go after me. I didn't call any one person a nut job so just stop. I said some of the pro-gun guys get this label because they're just simply unwilling to listen... just like the extreme anti-gun group gets it the same.

You cannot say how the crossbow has impacted ny hunting yet, it's still too early. So give it time before you say I was wrong.

My pictures? Just proving that all you need is time in the woods, good scouting and 1 shot. Society in general is looking for the quick fix. My fear is the AR is being selected because it allows for quick followup shots (that was some of the words used in this thread). My fear is that KNOWING you have 2 or 3 shots made lead to rushed and wounded deer. Yes, this is no different than any other semi in the woods. But it's in line with why I asked my question. It's the same concerns I have with crossbow. It's very clear all hunters don't have the patience that some do, and that's hard for me to get my head around. If you're hunting with an AR because it's all you have or because you prefer it, but you're a responsible ethical hunter with good marksmanship then I have no qualms with you.

Honestly, I'm over the discussion. It's run its course, but to be brutely honest I've left this with a poor taste in my mouth... and it has nothing to do with the AR in the hunting world. It has to do with the comments made about fellow gun owners and advocates.

good day.

Being afraid of what antis might think of all gun owners, because some people choose to hunt with legal AR's, is beyond silly IMHO. I look at it as proving that the guns that antis love to hate (and don't fool yourself, most antis hate ALL guns) serve another purpose other than target shooting and self defense and are being used responsibly and legally.

It's no secret that the fact that I'm opinionated bothers you. And it's no secret that when our opinions differ you go after me. I didn't call any one person a nut job so just stop. I said some of the pro-gun guys get this label because they're just simply unwilling to listen... just like the extreme anti-gun group gets it the same.

You cannot say how the crossbow has impacted ny hunting yet, it's still too early. So give it time before you say I was wrong.

My pictures? Just proving that all you need is time in the woods, good scouting and 1 shot. Society in general is looking for the quick fix. My fear is the AR is being selected because it allows for quick followup shots (that was some of the words used in this thread). My fear is that KNOWING you have 2 or 3 shots made lead to rushed and wounded deer. Yes, this is no different than any other semi in the woods. But it's in line with why I asked my question. It's the same concerns I have with crossbow. It's very clear all hunters don't have the patience that some do, and that's hard for me to get my head around. If you're hunting with an AR because it's all you have or because you prefer it, but you're a responsible ethical hunter with good marksmanship then I have no qualms with you.

Honestly, I'm over the discussion. It's run its course, but to be brutely honest I've left this with a poor taste in my mouth... and it has nothing to do with the AR in the hunting world. It has to do with the comments made about fellow gun owners and advocates.

good day.

I have no problem with you having an opinion, as I have said countless times in the past. I have a problem with the way you present them. I have a problem with those that distort facts and just plain out lie to try and prove their point.

Nobody has said you really need more than one shot, but if you are insinuating that no one ever needs a follow up shot, it's because you have this high horse mentality because you supposedly have never taken a follow up shot, right? You have the biggest superiority complex on the site. That's why people get rubbed the wrong way.

I'm sad reading this thread. An anti hunter/ anti gun person would be smiling at this. We are all gun owners. Let's stop the bickering. A gun is a gun. The whole thing started with a simple question which sad to say is no, an ar cannot be used by a nonresident unless it has been redone to be compliant. Hunters/gun owners, let's get together instead of bashing one another.

• Like 1