Nonresident hunting in ny with 30 cal ar

Slaynbux

I just called precion armory in Carmel ny they are selling compliant ar's with the mr2 mag lock they say they have paperwork from sp okaying this modification.for a hunting application gtg. Pop pin pivot upper load.close upper push pin hunt.

• Like 1

There are shops selling them with the mag locks as well.

That's what I have read as well. There are also supposed to be retailers selling ARs with modified "compliant" stocks.

The ARMR2 people were trying to get something in writing, but nothing ever materialized. While several lawyers have claimed it meets the legal definition to remove the AW classification, this is not a decided issue.

If an officer wanted to claim the a maglock did not count towards compliance - and you truly believed it did (which we have every reason to) - the law allows for a "warning" in which you will then have 30 days to register.

Of course, an over-zealous or under-informed officer could confiscate the rifle and/or arrest you for having an unregistered AW. Then you get to fight it out in court and possibly never see your rifle again. If it is returned, you might have to wait a year or more.

How this all plays out for an out-of-state resident is even more questionable. Since you are not a resident you could not have possessed the rifle in NY prior to "safe" taking effect. Thus, you are (in the officer's mind) importing a banned weapon into the state. Confiscation and/or arrest seems more likely.

I truly believe items like the ARMR2 are fully compliant with the law, taking the rifle out of the AW classification. What really matters is what the police, DA and judge think. Recent history doesn't make me feel good that they will agree with my position, and would attempt to re-imagine the law..

My opinion is that any "black" rifle should be used as discreetly as possible. No need to put it to the test, especially since the system is designed for us to lose. No decision is sometimes better than a decision of no.

• Like 1

I just called precion armory in Carmel ny they are selling compliant ar's with the mr2 mag lock they say they have paperwork from sp okaying this modification.for a hunting application gtg. Pop pin pivot upper load.close upper push pin hunt.

It would be great is the SP actually approved the ARMR2 device. Any way that store could post the letter online?

Are you saying that it is approved? Or approved for a hunting application? I don't see how approval only for hunting would be within the SP authority.

Gander has AR style with the new post Safe act stock configurations on them.

Yep, saw them there. Didnt notice if Field and Stream has them though.

What I meant is that the big box stores play it overly safe anymore. The stocks make them easier to differentiate, so they will sell them that way. Mag locks are harder to differentiate just by looking at the rifle.

You are comparing a bolt action to a semi auto. ARs are "meant for hunting" as much as any other rifle.

I know exactly what I'm comparing. Generally most hunters use a bolt action because of the accuracy and because they don't need 30 rounds of 223, plus the AR is much more expensive. So I'm trying to understand why someone would want to hunt with one. Not arguing, just curious.

Since when were hunters allowed to hunt with 30 rounds. Even here in free America you cannot hunt with more than 5 in the mag. Secondly most guys hunting deer like myself don't use 223. You sound like one of the a wholes who make your laws. Ar's come in many calibers, mines 30 cal spits 150 gr nosler bt 2600 fps . .67 groups at 100 yds. Reloads.today's offfering for that kind of performance in a bolt gun cost a lot and quality of said bolt guns are crap.

• Like 1

I know exactly what I'm comparing. Generally most hunters use a bolt action because of the accuracy and because they don't need 30 rounds of 223, plus the AR is much more expensive. So I'm trying to understand why someone would want to hunt with one. Not arguing, just curious.

You really should get one of these in your hands before you form an opinion

• Like 2

You're comparing your view of the firearm with the views of others.

An AR platform will shoot rings around any other semi-auto that is offered by major manufacturers in any SAFE-compliant configuration. Accuracy, dependability, adaptability, versatility, ergonomics, you name it. Properly set up, an AR platform is also capable of standing atop those criteria against most off-the-shelf bolt guns.

The AR's, AK's, and their derivatives are priced very similar to other semi-auto's.

The discussion is about '30 caliber', not 30 rounds.

Not arguing, just informing.

• Like 1

I think its jus that AR's have a following, just like any other type of rifle. Im a bolt action fan, but I have shot AR style rifles and they are, very smooth , very accurate rifles. I can definitely see why guys like to hunt with them. 

And, believe it or not, you can get AR mags that hold less than 30 rounds ….LOL!!

Edited by ants

For all u 2 nd amendment guys in February nh senate passed sb 116 no Ltc required to conceal carry . Yesterday house of reps took comments on said bill. It's expected to pass unchanged. Will be watching. Keep u posted. For those looking to relocate.

AR are not just in .223/5.56 caliber you can get different caliber lowers. Here is a list of a few different calibers you can do.

AR-15, without bolt modification

.17 Remington

.20 Tactical

.204 Ruger

.221 Fireball

.222 Remington

.222 Remington Magnum

.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)

.223 Remington Ackley Improved

6x45mm

6mm Whisper

6.5mm Whisper

7mm Whisper

7mm TCU

.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)

.338 Whisper

Since when were hunters allowed to hunt with 30 rounds. Even here in free America you cannot hunt with more than 5 in the mag. Secondly most guys hunting deer like myself don't use 223. You sound like one of the a wholes who make your laws. Ar's come in many calibers, mines 30 cal spits 150 gr nosler bt 2600 fps . .67 groups at 100 yds. Reloads.today's offfering for that kind of performance in a bolt gun cost a lot and quality of said bolt guns are crap.

hey welcome to the forum. Great way to get a good name for yourself by calling someone an ahole before you know anything about them.

I guess I needed to say more than 3 times THAT I WAS JUST FREAKING CURIOUS.

You really should get one of these in your hands before you form an opinion

i have shot several ARs of various calibers, makes and models (they're not evil where I live). I'd own one if it wasn't for the fact that I don't feel I need one and usually find something else to spend my money on. They're great guns and I know they shoot straight and take out deer and other game just fine. Maybe it's that I think of deer hunting kind like a sniper. 1 shot, 1 kill. And most snipers use variations of tje AR platform that are not what I'm picturing the OP is talking about, or they use bolt actions. And maybe it's because I've seen or heard much about hunters using them. So for the final time, I am curious as to what would make someone want to hunt with one, let alone someone from out of state risk NY's crazy laws.